[comp.text] Need help with weirdo format for bib

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/21/87)

	One of the users here is writing a manuscript for a jounal which
requires a strict (and strange) format which I don't think bib can handle
just by changing the macro file.  We need:

1. First citation in the text of 3 authors is Smith, Watson & Crick, 1988.

2. Second citation of the same paper is Smith et al., 1988.

3. Four authors is always Smith et al, 1987.

4. In the reference list Smith preceeds Smith, Baker & Jones, which
   precedes Smith and Jones, with no attention paid to date except for
   a set of identical authors;  then, Smith, Jones & Baker 1987a/b.

	Has anybody made bib do this, preferably using -me troff macros?
Numbers 2 and 4 are the kickers.

*Flame on*

	I'm pissed!  I mean, *Jeeze*, why does every single goddamn
publisher have to go invent a new and incompatible format for references?
Researchers should spend their (expensive) time doing research, not wasting
time fighting with their word processor to meet the picayune details of 67
million different reference formats.  The people *reading* the paper aren't
going to give a shit if there is a semicolon after the title or if the
volume number is in bold instead of italics, or if you list trailing page
numbers or not, why should the people writing it care!?  And if publishers
think it is so goddamn important that this be done the way they want, why
don't they pay their copy editors to fix up the details and let the authors
spend their time doing important things like producing the data that the
paper describes?  This is the real world, not junior high school.

*Flame off*
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

cje@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Chris Jarocha-Ernst (Meteora's chess partner)) (07/22/87)

In article <2808@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

> 	I'm pissed!  I mean, *Jeeze*, why does every single goddamn
> publisher have to go invent a new and incompatible format for references?
> Researchers should spend their (expensive) time doing research, not wasting
> time fighting with their word processor to meet the picayune details of 67
> million different reference formats.  The people *reading* the paper aren't
> going to give a shit if there is a semicolon after the title or if the
> volume number is in bold instead of italics, or if you list trailing page
> numbers or not, why should the people writing it care!?  And if publishers
> think it is so goddamn important that this be done the way they want, why
> don't they pay their copy editors to fix up the details and let the authors
> spend their time doing important things like producing the data that the
> paper describes?  This is the real world, not junior high school.

In case you don't remember, that was a flame.

One might make a similar argument against researchers "wasting" their time
writing an article with correct grammar.  After all, an editor can always
correct it, right?

While Roy does have a point regarding incompatable reference formats, he
doesn't have *that* big a point.  Most journals in a field follow a reference
format agreed to by a professional association in that field, not one
determined by the whim of an editor or publisher.  The association has chosen
or developed that reference format because they feel it's the one that makes
the references easiest for their readers to understand (and therefore use,
which is the point of references).  So someone reading an article might very
well care if the volume number isn't in boldface, as it makes it that much
harder to find a particular issue of a journal if you can't see right away
what volume it's in.  (In other words, just because Roy can't see the sense in
it doesn't mean there *is* no sense in it.)

And regarding having copy editors toe the line on the references instead of
the authors:

1) The author knows the particulars on the reference, not the copy editor.
   If the author hasn't made it clear if a number is a volume or an issue
   number, how is the copy editor supposed to decide?  So we need a system,
   a "language", whereby an author can convey the necessary info in a clear
   manner to the editor -- a reference format.

2) Programs like bib were written to free the author from having to keep track
   of every tittle and jot of reference formats, plus reducing the amount of
   time (and thus money) spent on copy editing.  Let the dumb machine do the
   mechanical work like placing semicolons and converting to boldface.

If one user at Roy's site is submitting to this journal, presumably other
users will, too, over time.  It makes more sense (and saves more time) to
write a new reference format in the appropriate style for bib than to a)
have to modify some "close" format each time, or b) argue with someone about
why a journal wants things just so.

There are different reference formats for different purposes, just as there
are different programming languages for different purposes.  Flaming against
variety, especially when there are translator tools that permit that variety,
is pointless.  Flaming to the net, which has no control over what formats
journals choose, is even more pointless.
--
Chris Jarocha-Ernst
UUCP: {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss, seismo}!rutgers!elbereth.rutgers.edu!cje

murphy@phri.UUCP (Ellen Murphy) (07/23/87)

In article <2808@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) asks for help with
an unusual bib format, and also complains:

In <489@elbereth.rutgers.edu> cje (Chris Jarocha-Ernst) replies:
>One might make a similar argument against researchers "wasting" their time
>writing an article with correct grammar.  After all, an editor can always
>correct it, right?

     Correct grammer is extremely important in conveying information to
the reader.  The placement of punctuation in the reference list, or the
slightly different ways that journals can find to alphabetize the same
list, conveys no information whatsoever.  Unfortunately, journals pay
far less attention to grammar than to the piddly details of citations.

>Most journals in a field follow a reference format agreed to by a
>professional association in that field, not one determined by the whim
>of an editor or publisher.  The association has chosen or developed
>that reference format because they feel it's the one that makes the
>references easiest for their readers to understand (and therefore use,

     Not at all.  In my field (molecular biology) there are about 40
journals that I ought to read, and it is rare to find two that format
the references the same way (the only exceptions are the journals
published by the American Society for Microbiology, one of the many
professional associations in the field).  The publisher, not the
professional associations, decide on these details, and they clearly do
not have their readers' best interests in mind.  If they did, all
citations would include titles and trailing page numbers and would be
listed in alphabetical (not citation) order.  The journals that omit
titles do so to save space (read: money).  I also know of one case in
which the "whim of the editor" decided the citation format (Academic
Press's journal "Plasmid")--and note that other Academic Press journals
are differently formatted.

> Programs like bib were written to free the author from having to keep
>track of every tittle and jot of reference formats, plus reducing the
>amount of time (and thus money) spent on copy editing.  Let the dumb
>machine do the mechanical work like placing semicolons and converting
>to boldface.

    I agree, and bib is great in that it lets me delay the formatting
decision as long as I want, or reformat when a paper is rejected and has
to go elsewhere--not that that ever happens :-).  So why do the copy
editors waste their time adding printers marks to my manuscripts which
are already correctly formatted with respect to boldface and italics?

>If one user at Roy's site is submitting to this journal, presumably other
>users will, too, over time.

     Just for the record, I'm that user, and the paper is for an obscure
symposium volume that nobody here is ever likely to publish in again.

>There are different reference formats for different purposes, just as there
>are different programming languages for different purposes.

    Changing the placement of commas, semicolons and bold vs. italic
doesn't serve any useful purpose in citation lists, in spite of your
concern that somebody might mistake a volume for a page number.  These
things do make a difference in chemical formulas, genetic nomenclature
and programming languages, and the professional societies have rightly
spent their time developing standards, to which all the journals adhere.
I only wish that somebody would do the same for citation formats.

             Ellen Murphy
             Public Health Research Institute

> ... So why do the copy
> editors waste their time adding printers marks to my manuscripts which
> are already correctly formatted with respect to boldface and italics?

Probably because their typesetting people are *not* used to working from
multi-font documents, and the copy editors are (justifiably) worried that
this will introduce errors.  This is a real and legitimate concern.
--
Support sustained spaceflight: fight |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the soi-disant "Planetary Society"!  | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry