[comp.text] Problems with 4.3BSD dipress

jpd@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Paul Dourish) (08/05/87)

I use ditroff to format documents for an Interpress (Xerox 8044) printer.
This has been working successfully for over a year, using the dipress post-
processor which came with Release 1 of the Interpress Toolkit from the Xerox
Systems Institute. However, I recently upgraded to 4.3BSD and want to use the
new version of dipress which came with it, but I've been having problems.
(I've actually also encountered identical problems with XSI's Interpress
Toolkit release 2.1).

Ditroff runs fine, but runing dipress produces errors like this (I've editted
them to fit in 80 columns):

(eusip)1% bin/dipress -f lib/fonts/8044 -t simple.dit > simple.ip
dipress: no interpress equivalent for troff font X0111bbbbbbbbbb;;000X0      \
   v       El      v'      v               v       '               vE1EXbbbNl\
N;bl;;b;lXbbNN;lX     XXN;';XEbbb'NX;'NXbbbXXXXXXXXXXbbbbbb'; ';lX    E;000'X\
1bbu&&ll
error encountered near line 3
dipress: no interpress equivalent for troff font b11000X0                    \
   Nv0     v0              v;1;XblvbvbElv;;v;'vlvvXXEvlllX;';X1bbb1Xb;1XbbbbX\
XXXXXXXXXbbbbbb0;:0;ll;;00'X1bb       ::vw
error encountered near line 3
bin/dipress     Memory fault - core dumped
(eusip)2%

When dipress dumps the core, it's in this state:

 _malloc(1c) from 56a
 _setFontPosition(4,d50b,d515) from 20d
 _readDeviceInitInfo() from _deviceCommand+48
 _deviceCommand(956c) from 972
 _ditroffToIpress(956c) from 1543
 _main(5,7fffea44,7fffea5c) from start+3d

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can fix this?

                                                     -- Paul.
--
Paul Dourish,                ARPA:  jpd%ed.eusip@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Speech Input Project,        UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!eusip!jpd

sklower@rosemary.Berkeley.EDU.berkeley.edu (Keith Sklower) (08/06/87)

In article <125@aiva.ed.ac.uk> jpd@eusip.uucp (Paul Dourish) writes:
>I use ditroff to format documents for an Interpress (Xerox 8044) printer.
> [text deleted]
>Ditroff runs fine, but runing dipress produces errors like this (I've editted
>them to fit in 80 columns):
>
>(eusip)1% bin/dipress -f lib/fonts/8044 -t simple.dit > simple.ip
>dipress: no interpress equivalent for troff font X0111bbbbbbbbbb;;000X0      \
>[More text deleted]
>Does anyone have any ideas about how I can fix this?
>
>                                                     -- Paul.
>--
>Paul Dourish,                ARPA:  jpd%ed.eusip@cs.ucl.ac.uk
>Speech Input Project,        UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!eusip!jpd

Somewhere about the time 4.3 went out, the person supporting ditroff
decide we should go back to Bell's original notion of how big a font
name should be -- 10 characters, instead of that which was in 4.2,
3 characters.

We get similar inscrutable error messages when mixing a new dipress with
old ditroff font width tables, or conversely.  I would guess that you are
using the 4.2 ditroff width tables, (or rather the 4.2 version of
the ``binary compiling'' utility, makedev).

Try changing the fields font_name, font_number of structure font_entry in
dipress/src/bin/deviceinfo.h to be 3  wide instead of 10, or else
change the corresponding fields in ditroff/driver/dev.h to be 10 instead of 3.