[comp.text] 8bit nroff fixes

resende@garnet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (08/11/87)

In a message posted to this network a few days Pat Sullivan writes:

>In DWB Release 2, the '%' character is an undocumented escape character
>which tells nroff to send out the following character code even if it is
>greater than 0200.  If this "feature" is present in older versions, it
>may be simpler than rebuilding nroff.  Following is an excerpt from our
>nterm file for a LaserJet with an HP "M" cartridge; note the '%' used
>to escape character codes greater than 0200:
>charset
>ae 1 %\327
>AE 1 %\323

Where can I find a complete list of non-ASCII characters that  can
be passed to nroff  via nterm?
I am trying to build a nterm file for a printer with the IBM character
set, which includes a few vowells + accents that I would like to use from
nroff.

Any suggestions?

pls@sortac.UUCP (Pat Sullivan) (08/12/87)

In article <4664@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> resende@garnet.berkeley.edu() writes:
>Where can I find a complete list of non-ASCII characters that  can
>be passed to nroff  via nterm?

If you don't have DWB 2, it's not as straightforward; press "n" now.

With DWB 2 you basically have complete freedom here ... you specify the
name of the character (i.e., the "\(xx" sequence you want to use in your
source document) and also specify the character sequence that the printer
needs to see to put this character onto paper.  (Don't get carried away
though; as distributed, nroff only allows 128 special characters - you
may need to give up some Greek to get some European.  This limit is not
present with troff, but that's another story.)

Look at /usr/lib/nterm/tab.* and the nterm(5) Reference Manual Page.

Pat Sullivan - {akgua|ihnp4}!sortac!pls - voice 404-257-7382