[comp.text] TeX on SV

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (08/14/87)

I wanted to mail this, but it bounced back.

Someone asked about TeX for System V, mentioning that he had a Pascal
compiler.  I mention...

There are also two versions of TeX in C.  One is Common TeX, and
a new version is coming soon, and I don't knwo how bug free it is.

The other is CTeX (also known as AmigaTeX, and is available at reasonable
cost from n2 Computer Consultants, (409) 696-1078.

CTeX passes the TeX torture test, which basically means you can't
find a better, more powerful version.

Tom Rokicki at Stanford translated Pascal into C.  Rumor has it he's
doing a Modula 2 version now.  He's pretty good at this stuff.
He wrote a Conway's Life game in TeX, for example.

lee

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/18/87)

In article <18415UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes, in part:
>CTeX passes the TeX torture test, which basically means you can't
>find a better, more powerful version.

With this statement I will argue.  TeX is written in large part to
compile on lowest-common-denominator Pascal; about the only things
it demands of its compiler is a default case entry and a great deal
of compile space and time.  It does all of its allocation from a
fixed array that cannot be larger than 65536 4 byte words, or 262144
bytes.  This is, to put it simply, not enough; indeed, no fixed
limit is ever enough.

On the other hand, passing the TeX torture test means it is likely
to be close to bug-free.
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris

phr@mit-hermes.UUCP (08/18/87)

In article <8011@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <18415UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes, in part:
>>CTeX passes the TeX torture test, which basically means you can't
>>find a better, more powerful version.
By "the TeX torture test" you mean the "TRIP test", described in a
Stanford report called something like "TRIP: A torture test for TeX"
by Knuth.  Common TeX also passes this test.