[comp.text] Sys V Common TeX 2.1

monardo@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Pat Monardo) (08/23/87)

In article <2883@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU> you write:
>In article <8011@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>In article <18415UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes, in part:
>>>CTeX passes the TeX torture test, which basically means you can't
>>>find a better, more powerful version.
>By "the TeX torture test" you mean the "TRIP test", described in a
>Stanford report called something like "TRIP: A torture test for TeX"
>by Knuth.  Common TeX also passes this test.

I have ported Common TeX ver 2.1 to UNIX PC. In fact I took
the code sitting on my AT straight to the UNIX PC running 3.5
and it compiled and passed the trip test without so much as looking
at a line of code. I've been sending the AT version for
a while now and have ported it back to UNIX so that the DOS
and UNIX are completely integrated.
It is back on ucbvax:/pub/ctex21.tar.Z.
This version will pass lint except that i didnt bother to cast
unsigned into int for the libraries.
Also, TeX's memory is NOT limited to  256K or 64K. It simply states that
it is limited by what a halfword will index, e.g., a halfword can be
(and should be) 32bits.

	pat

finegan@uccba.UUCP (Mike Finegan) (08/25/87)

> I have ported Common TeX ver 2.1 to UNIX PC. In fact I took
> It is back on ucbvax:/pub/ctex21.tar.Z.
> This version will pass lint except that i didnt bother to cast
> unsigned into int for the libraries.

  I am not familiar with the Unix PC, but would like to get TeX running
  on a 3B2/400 running SysV. I have the Pascal public domain version, and
  haven't tried it yet, as the flyer that came with it sounded like it
  wouldn't be easy. The C version sounds more reasonable (I would rather
  look at C than Pascal), but what would be the difficulties? Does TeX
  have low level hooks, or could I port the Common Tex that worked on the
  Unix PC? If you have tried and failed, please speak up also! ;-)
  Also, if you want the C version, how can you get it? (No ftp access)
			Thanks, it will eventually be on SysV,
					Mike Finegan ...hal!uccba!finegan
						...hal!uccba!ucece1!finegan

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (08/26/87)

Just for the halibut, I'm going to see if it will run on an Amiga under
Manx 3.40a.

Sean
--
--  Sean Casey                    sean@ms.uky.edu,    {uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean
--  (the Empire guy)              sean@ms.uky.csnet,  sean@UKMA.BITNET

craig@macbeth.Princeton.EDU (Craig Kolb) (08/27/87)

In article <1217@uccba.UUCP> finegan@uccba.UUCP (Mike Finegan) writes:
>  I am not familiar with the Unix PC, but would like to get TeX running
>  on a 3B2/400 running SysV.

I've ported CTeX 2.0 to the 3B2/310.  Drop me a line if you're interested in
the diffs & a version of undump for the 3B20 put together by Michael Hrybyk.
I'd imagine a 2.1 port would be even more trivial than the 2.0 port was.

--
Craig Kolb
craig@macbeth.Princeton.EDU