[comp.text] Proper 4.3BSD printcap entry for LaserWriter

grandi@noao.arpa (Steve Grandi) (08/29/87)

How does one set up a proper /etc/printcap for an Apple Laserwriter on a
4.3BSD system?  I want to run TeX output and ditroff output generated by
Pipeline's devps.

I'm not running Adobe Transcript on the 4.3BSD VAX, but I've cribbed the
printcap entry from a Sun which is, and the entry is as follows:

lp2|lw2:\
	:lp=/dev/lw:\
	:br#9600:rw:fc#0000374:fs#0000003:xc#0:xs#0040040:mx#0:sf:sb:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lw2:\
	:lf=/usr/spool/lw2/lw-log:

According to my reading of tty(4), the mode bits set CBREAK and TANDEM and
LDECCTQ and LLITOUT.

I can tip to /dev/lw and converse with the laser printer, and I can
"cat file.ps > /dev/lw" and get nice clean output.  Yet if I
"lpr -Plw2 file.ps", strange things happen.  The Laserwriter's yellow
light blinks for the appropriate amount of time and I can see lights moving
around down inside the cover release cutout; but no pages are printed.

Any ideas?  Any working printcaps?
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.arizona.edu!grandi

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/29/87)

In article <643@noao.UUCP> grandi@noao.arpa (Steve Grandi) writes:
> How does one set up a proper /etc/printcap for an Apple Laserwriter on a
> 4.3BSD system?

	Here's what we've been using for the past couple of years.  This
works fine for us using Adobe's pscomm (part of the transcript package) to
do the low-level communication with the printer.  We've used essentially
the same printcap entry on 4.2BSD, 4.3BSD, Sun-3.0 and Sun-3.2 systems.

# Apple LaserWriter in room 1074
laser10|laser|postscript|PostScript:\
	:lp=/dev/laser:br#9600:\
	:fs#0000003:fc#0000374:\
	:xs#0040040:xc#0000000:\
	:pl#66:pw#80:\
	:mx#0:\
	:rw:sf:sb:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/laser10:\
	:af=/usr/adm/lpd/laser10.acct:lf=/usr/spool/laser10/laser-log:\
	:if=/usr/lib/ps/psif:\
	:of=/usr/lib/ps/psof:gf=/usr/lib/ps/psgf:\
	:nf=/usr/lib/ps/psnf:tf=/usr/lib/ps/pstf:\
	:rf=/usr/lib/ps/psrf:vf=/usr/lib/ps/psvf:\
	:cf=/usr/lib/ps/pscf:df=/usr/lib/ps/psdf:
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

hls@oce-rd1.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <643@noao.UUCP> grandi@noao.arpa (Steve Grandi) writes:

>How does one set up a proper /etc/printcap for an Apple Laserwriter on a
>4.3BSD system?  I want to run TeX output and ditroff output generated by
>Pipeline's devps.

>I can tip to /dev/lw and converse with the laser printer, and I can
>"cat file.ps > /dev/lw" and get nice clean output.  Yet if I
>"lpr -Plw2 file.ps", strange things happen.  The Laserwriter's yellow
>light blinks for the appropriate amount of time and I can see lights moving
>around down inside the cover release cutout; but no pages are printed.
>
>Any ideas?  Any working printcaps?

We use the following printcap-entry for the Apple LaserWriter:

lw|laserwriter:\
	:lp=/dev/ttye2:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lwd:\
	:br#9600:fs#06320:fc#040:pl#66:pw#96:\
	:lf=/usr/adm/lwd-errs:af=/usr/adm/lwd-acct:\
	:mx#0:sh:\
	:if=/usr/local/lib/print/nroff:nf=/usr/local/lib/print/ditroff:

Important: NO RAW MODE !!!!!

Furthermore you could use the following filters:

	==== ditroff =====
	#! /bin/csh
	echo ""
	cat - | devps -r
	echo ""
	==================

	==== nroff =======
	#! /bin/csh
	echo ""
	cat - | printer | reverse
	echo ""
	==================

Harry Schreurs

/*
 * This note does not necessarily represent the position
 * of Oce-Nederland B.V. Therefore no liability or
 * responsibility for whatever will be accepted.
 */

patwood@unirot.UUCP (09/03/87)

The easiest way to get diagnostics from the LaserWriter is to put the
following in your /etc/rc:

	cat -u /dev/PS >> /usr/spool/PS/LOG

As for printcap and such, we now have a proper printcap and program interfaces
for PostScript devices for the BSD line printer spooler system.  I'll be
sending it to the person at noao that originally requested the info, along
with any other devps licensees that need it (just email me for it).

Pat Wood
Pipeline Associates, Inc.
unirot!phw5!phw
bellcore!phw5!phw