[comp.text] wanted: Ultrix word processing software

terry@moogvax.UUCP (Terry Westley) (09/08/87)

We have recently decided that we need good word processing tools on our
VAX running Ultrix.  So, forgive me if this topic has come up over and
over again.  Please e-mail responses to save others from having to read
the same stuff again.  I'll be happy to summarize to the net or e-mail
copies of any responses to anyone who asks.

We have been using vi/nroff all along.  This is generally fine for
those of us who use the system all the time.  However, we now have some
users (secretaries, hardware engineers) who think using vi/nroff is
like hitting your head with a hammer.  I'm sure they will be delighted
when they stop.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for word processing
software and a laser printer for output.

Our main requirements are preparing proposals and instructional
manuals for products we develop.  We have no need for mathematical
equations, but an associated spreadsheet would be very useful.  Also,
it should work with standard ASCII terminals such as VT-100 et. al.

I'm getting Laticorp's Latitude package on a 30-day free trial.  Any
comments about this package would also be helpful.
--
  Terry Westley
  Moog, Inc. (no, not the synthesizer company)

root@mergsun.UUCP (Mergsun System Administrator) (09/11/87)

Terry,
	If you insist on staying on UNIX for document processing, my suggestion
is to get your site a PostScript(tm) compatable laser printer (i.e. Apple
LaserWriter+, Dec PrintServer40, IBM, HP, etc ) and install a set of filters
created by Adobe Systems (the parents of Postscript) to allow BSD/SysV to
communicate with these devices.  They allow standard lineprinter in addition
to troff and ditroff output.

	As to the word process aspect of you problem, if *roff is not to your
secretarys liking, I suggest something like Scribe(tm) which is a full blown
word processor.

HOWEVER ! ! ! I would suggest you get those users a Macintosh Plus or SE
with a LaserWriter+ and on of many word processors like Microsofts' Word.
Within a few months you will be able to use your Unix system as a file server
using a software package by Centram call TOPS and hardware by Kinetics called
Fastpath.

Ricky Schrieber	 / Principal Engineer / (516)-434-2615
Linotype Company /  425 Oser Avenue   / Hauppauge, NY 11788

zwicky@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth Zwicky) (09/11/87)

In article <101@mergsun.UUCP> root@mergsun.UUCP (Mergsun System Administrator) writes:
>Terry,
>	If you insist on staying on UNIX for document processing, my suggestion
>is to get your site a PostScript(tm) compatable laser printer (i.e. Apple
>LaserWriter+, Dec PrintServer40, IBM, HP, etc ) and install a set of filters
>created by Adobe Systems (the parents of Postscript) to allow BSD/SysV to
>communicate with these devices.  They allow standard lineprinter in addition
>to troff and ditroff output.

A good idea; we're doing it here. The software is called TranScript,
it works well, and they have a sane licensing agreement. We adore it.
It even comes with ptroff, a *roff for PostScript. We run it to three
different printers, all shared with Macintoshes, two LaserWriter+s and
a DataProducts LZR2665. LaserWriters are reasonably cheap, but low
volume; the Dataproducts lacks the extra fonts of a LaserWriter+, but
is faster and can deal with higher volumes.

>	As to the word process aspect of you problem, if *roff is not to your
>secretarys liking, I suggest something like Scribe(tm) which is a full blown
>word processor.

Unh-unh. Scribe is a text formatter, not a word processor. BIG
difference.  Scribe formats text beautifully, and has a better
interface than *roff, but it costs big bucks, and it has less
flexibilty. The cheap, UNIX-style route is Gnu Emacs for an editor and
LaTeX for a formatter, both of which suffer from being over-flexible
and expert-friendly, but there are a lot worse things than that to
suffer from. THere are word-processors for UNIX, but I've never seen
one that I liked. (I'm a technical writer, and do some serious
formatting - I like my 200 page documents with automatic tables of
contents, easy indexing, beautiful typesetting, as fast as possible,
with custom formatting. LaTeX is my thing.)

>HOWEVER ! ! ! I would suggest you get those users a Macintosh Plus or SE
>with a LaserWriter+ and on of many word processors like Microsofts' Word.
>Within a few months you will be able to use your Unix system as a file server
>using a software package by Centram call TOPS and hardware by Kinetics called
>Fastpath.

Give me a break. One Plus? I'm going from my Plus (for me alone) with
20M to a II, so as to get some serious work done. Word does not cut it
for me as a formatter either. Not to say that I don't love the Mac; I
do lots of short documents on it, in, of all things, MacWrite. Longer
ones go in MacTeX; if that gets too slow, I kermit them to the UNIX
machine I do my long documents on and run them through TeX there.

On a detail, we run Tops over Kinetics boxes now, and have been doing
so for some months. The Fastpath boxes are great; we do a lot of
things using them. Tops is not so great; we've run into reliability
problems. It also runs only on some UNIX machines, because it requires
kernel mods. We run it on Pyramids.

jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) (09/12/87)

in article <64@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, zwicky@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth Zwicky) says:
> In article <101@mergsun.UUCP> root@mergsun.UUCP (Mergsun System Administrator) writes:
>>is to get your site a PostScript(tm) compatable laser printer (i.e. Apple
>>LaserWriter+, Dec PrintServer40, IBM, HP, etc ) and install a set of filters
>>created by Adobe Systems (the parents of Postscript) to allow BSD/SysV to
>>communicate with these devices.  They allow standard lineprinter in addition
>>to troff and ditroff output.
> A good idea; we're doing it here. The software is called TranScript,
> it works well, and they have a sane licensing agreement. We adore it.
> It even comes with ptroff, a *roff for PostScript. We run it to three
> different printers, all shared with Macintoshes, two LaserWriter+s and
> a DataProducts LZR2665. LaserWriters are reasonably cheap, but low
> volume; the Dataproducts lacks the extra fonts of a LaserWriter+, but
> is faster and can deal with higher volumes.
>>Ricky Schrieber	 / Principal Engineer / (516)-434-2615
>>Linotype Company /  425 Oser Avenue   / Hauppauge, NY 11788

There is also Eroff for Ultrix. Eroff can support PostScript, LaserJets,
and Imagen Impress printers.
----
Elan Computer Group, Inc. sells a package called EROFF which is the AT&T
Documenter's WorkBench (DWB), including device independent troff,
nroff, tbl, eqn, pic, grap, macros, etc., plus bug fixes and
enhancements including bitmap graphics inclusion, and a driver for
your choice of printer (All HP LaserJet models, PostScript printers,
or Imagen Impress printers). Automatic HP Soft Font downloading is
done for the LaserJets. DWB and the printer drivers are also available
separately.

Please write or call for more information.
--
Jeff Lo
..!{ames,hplabs}!elan!jlo

patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) (09/12/87)

As long as Elan is pushing eroff, I might as well mention that we have
a ditroff/otroff to PostScript postprocessor called devps.  It's less
expensive than either TranScript or Elan's PostScript driver (actually
it costs the same for source as for TranScript binary).  It has been
ported to Ultrix and supports the 4.2 printer spooler.  It also has
the ability to source Mac images, including those from MacDraw, MacPaint,
Illustrator, and the ability to source other PostScript files such as
those from S, AT&T TARGA images, and hand-written PostScript.  It comes
with macros for all this, as well as PostScript special-effect macros
for text rotation (printing along a margin), shading, etc.

We also support the old troff (for anyone that wants to work with an
outdated, cumbersome, limited program) by converting its output to
ditroff format which can then be passed through any postprocessor
(including devps).

Pat Wood
Pipeline Associates, Inc.
bellcore!phw5!phw
flash.bellcore.com!phw5!phw

devps is a trademark of Pipeline Associates, Inc.