[comp.text] Can old troff produce long lines?

tut%cairo@Sun.COM (Bill Tuthill) (09/27/87)

I'll have to admit I know ditroff source a lot better than old troff
source.  As a matter of fact, I can't even understand old troff code.
Does anybody know how to modify old troff (probably t10.c) so it can
produce lines longer than 7.54 inches?  Using TranScript like this:

	% ptroff -L
	.pl 8.5i
	.ll 9i

pages come out in landscape mode (lines going across the long side of
the paper), but troff crunches lines into a 7.54 inch wide area, which
makes them very hard to read.  I'm sure old troff does this because the
CAT/4 had very narrow paper rolls.  I ask this question not for myself
(I use ditroff) but for Sun customers too poor to pay for ditroff.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Tuthill

edmoy@opal.berkeley.edu (09/27/87)

In article <29207@sun.uucp> tut%cairo@Sun.COM (Bill Tuthill) writes:
>I'll have to admit I know ditroff source a lot better than old troff
>source.  As a matter of fact, I can't even understand old troff code.
>Does anybody know how to modify old troff (probably t10.c) so it can
>produce lines longer than 7.54 inches?  Using TranScript like this:
>
>	% ptroff -L
>	.pl 8.5i
>	.ll 9i
>
>pages come out in landscape mode (lines going across the long side of
>the paper), but troff crunches lines into a 7.54 inch wide area, which
>makes them very hard to read.  I'm sure old troff does this because the
>CAT/4 had very narrow paper rolls.  I ask this question not for myself
>(I use ditroff) but for Sun customers too poor to pay for ditroff.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Bill Tuthill

Bill,

It's was a true experience to muck around in old troff code many years ago.
UGLY!  Actual, ditroff is only a bit better, with it's copious comments
like /* XXX */.

Anyways, the line you are looking for is in t10.c, in the ptesc() function:

		if(((j = (esct + i*(1-2*escm))) > (46*72+18-T_IESC)) ||

The 46 is the pica width of the paper.

Edward Moy
Academic Computing Services
University of California