[comp.text] Tilde

tombre@crin.UUCP (09/29/87)

I searched for it in the LaTeX manual, but didn't find it...

How can I put a tilde in a  text formatted with LaTeX? That is, in a
sentence, not in verbatin mode.

--- Karl Tombre @ CRIN (Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy)
EMAIL : tombre@crin.crin.fr  --   tombre@crin.UUCP
POST  : Karl Tombre, CRIN, B.P. 239, 54506 VANDOEUVRE CEDEX, France
PHONE : +33  83.91.21.25

chris@mimsy.UUCP (10/03/87)

In article <348@crin.crin.fr> tombre@crin.crin.fr (Karl Tombre) writes:
>How can I put a tilde in a text formatted with LaTeX?

Most fonts (i.e., all but the verbatim fonts) do not have tilde as
a letter, only as an accent.  You might try accenting a space:

	a tilde (\~\ ) character

ken@rochester.UUCP (10/04/87)

How about \char'176? You can \chardef it. See the TeXbook.

	Ken

tla@kaiser.UUCP (T Anderson) (10/07/87)

Try the following for a range of solutions depending on the
effect you desire.
\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}
This is a test.

This is \verb|x\~\ x|: x\~\ x

This is \verb|x\~~x|: x\~~x

This is \verb|x\~x|: x\~x

This is \verb|x\~ x|: x\~ x

This is \verb|x\~\relax x|: x\~\relax x

This is \verb|x\char'176 x|: x\char'176 x
\end{document}

			     --	Terry L Anderson
				AT&T Bell Laboratories -- Liberty Corners
				UUCP:     ...!ihnp4!kaiser!tla
				TeleMail: Terry.Anderson
				(201) 580-4428

urban@sol.SPS.TRW.COM (Michael Urban) (10/08/87)

In article <680@kaiser.UUCP> tla@kaiser.UUCP (T Anderson) writes:
>Try the following for a range of solutions depending on the
>effect you desire.
>(several solutions using the standard tilde symbol)

To which I would add:

In some rare cases, the mathematical symbol $\sim$, i.e. a larger and
more obvious "twiddle" symbol, is really what is desired.

--
   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) (10/10/87)

In article <348@crin.crin.fr>, tombre@crin.crin.fr (Karl Tombre) writes:

> How can I put a tilde in a  text formatted with LaTeX? That is, in a
> sentence, not in verbatin mode.

If you really need a naked tilda, put a tilda-accent over an empty character.
Of course, I can't imagina how you would want to use it except for things
like \~{n}, but you can do things like \~~ (put an accent over a tie) if
you really want.
--
                                                         --Brian.
(Brian T. Schellenberger)				 ...!mcnc!rti!sas!bts

DISCLAIMER:  Whereas Brian Schellenberger (hereinafter "the party of the first