[net.music] Bruce's B-sides

dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) (10/01/85)

Has anyone listened to the B-sides off the singles from _Born in the USA_?
Are these songs on any of his other albums (they're not from _Born in the
USA_)?  If not, are they of the same caliber as the A-sides?  Incidentally,
I believe the lyrics for all of them are printed on the jacket cover.
-----------
Come to the shell for answers.

dwayne
{akgua, ut-sally}!usl!dkl

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/05/85)

In article <647@usl.UUCP> dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) writes:
>Has anyone listened to the B-sides off the singles from _Born in the USA_?

Yes.  I don't own any, but they do get a fair amount of airplay around here.

>Are these songs on any of his other albums (they're not from _Born in the
>USA_)?

None of these appear on any LP; neither did the B-sides of the singles from
"The River".  (Record collectors call these "non-LP" tracks... many Police
B-sides were also non-LP.  So many early Stones B-sides were non-LP that
they were eventually put on an LP of their own... "No Stone Unturned"!)

The B-side of "Cover Me" is a cover (!) of Tom Waits' "Jersey Girls",
recorded live.  This is noteworthy for being the only cover (and only live
track) BS has put on one of his own records (yes, I know about the Mitch
Ryder medley, and "Trapped", and "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"... those
were on "various artists" LPs.)

>If not, are they of the same caliber as the A-sides?

These are mostly outtakes from his LPs.  Some definitely sound it; others
(eg. "Be True", recorded for "The River") are superior to much of what made it.

AWR

arpie@ism70.UUCP (10/05/85)

As far as Bruce's B-sides go, I think "Pink Cadillac" ("Dancing
in the Dark) and "Stand on It" ("Glory Days") are outstanding.
They probably could have been hits, but they didn't fit into the
_B_o_r_n_ _i_n_ _t_h_e_ _U_._S_._A_. "concept".  I think both are on their way
to becoming rock standards.  Bruce performed "Pink" twice when he
was in L.A. this time, and "Stand on It" was one of the encores
each night. Another song he sang only once in L.A. but is getting
a lot of airplay here is "Janey Don't You Lose Heart" ("I'm Goin'
Down").

By the way, "Be True" was slated to appear on "The River" before
it became a double album. Also, over 50 songs were recorded for
_B_o_r_n_ _i_n_ _t_h_e_ _U_._S_._A_.  Half the songs that made it to the album were
originally written for _N_e_b_r_a_s_k_a.

In my opinion, we're lucky to get the B-sides. Bruce has so many
great songs he hasn't recorded himself, like "Because the
Night" (which we were also treated to once in L.A.), and almost
all the songs he gave to Southside Johnny and Gary U.S. Bonds.
It's just a dream that he'll release them all on an album: don't
count on it.