[comp.text] Postscript and troff

raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) (10/06/87)

	What products/software exist make `troff` print on a Postscript
type of laser printer. We have an Imagen laser printer that has an iterface
to `troff` through software that came with it, but now we want to connect
an Apple laser-printer to the computer and to print troff papers on it too.
We are running 4.2 BSD Unix on a VAX 780/11.

	Thanks,
Raanan Herrmann  (bc-cis!raanan, raanan@bc-cis.UUCP raanan@bklyncis.BITNET)

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (10/08/87)

in article <1005@bc-cis.UUCP>, raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) says:

> What products/software exist make `troff` print on a Postscript printer.

Eroff, by Elan Computer Group, is a complete DWB (ditroff) package plus
laser driver(s).  Postscript is fully supported, as is HP LaserJet
and Imagen lasers.

Elan Computer Group, Inc.
410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
Palo Alto, CA 94306
415-322-2450

patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) (10/08/87)

Devps, a product of Pipeline Associates, Inc., supports either the old
troff or ditroff to PostScript conversion.  It costs less than Adobe's
TranScript or Elan's PostScript driver ($295 binary, $495 source) and it
allows you to import PostScript graphics from other sources, such as
Illustrator, MacDraw, MacVision, AT&T TARGA boards, and hand-written
PostScript.  It comes with printer drivers for System V's lp system and
for BSD 4.x spooling system.  It also comes with various utilities for
reversing page order (to get properly collated output on a LaserWriter),
for emulating a line printer, for printing plot(4) files, and for selection
of pages from conforming PostScript files.  It also comes with a utility
for converting Adobe Font Metric files to ditroff width tables.

Call or write for more info

Pat Wood
Pipeline Associates, Inc.
49 Manito Ave
Lake Hiawatha, NJ  07034
201-334-0772
bellcore!phw5!phw

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (10/13/87)

In article <1005@bc-cis.UUCP>, raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:
> 	What products/software exist make `troff` print on a Postscript
> type of laser printer. We have an Imagen laser printer that has an iterface
> to `troff` through software that came with it, but now we want to connect
> an Apple laser-printer to the computer and to print troff papers on it too.
> We are running 4.2 BSD Unix on a VAX 780/11.

Two products that translate the output of troff to PostScript are transcript
and devps.

Transcript is written by Adobe (the creator of PostScript) and has filters
for both old troff and ditroff.

Devps is written by Pipeline Associates.  There are two flavors available.
The one which has existed for quite a while is for use with ditroff.  A
new product, cat2dit, is available that translates old troff output into
the DVI intermediate files for processing by devps.

We have been using (and, in fact, selling) both of these packages.  We
have used both of them in the production of our catalogs, marketing
fliers and products (we publish UNIX reference booklets).  Both do what
they claim to do.  You can contact me if you need any further comparison
information.

There are a number of companies that sell the ATT DWB package (ditroff
and a lot more) and filters for PostScript.  The first two that
come to mind are SoftQuad (in Toronto I believe) and Elan (in the bay
area).  If you don't have ditroff and feel you need it, these are the
places to shop.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX  or (206)527-3385

jpp@slxsys.co.uk (John Pettitt) (10/23/87)

In article <785@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> In article <1005@bc-cis.UUCP>, raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:
> > 	What products/software exist make `troff` print on a Postscript
>
> Two products that translate the output of troff to PostScript are transcript
> and devps.
> Transcript is written by Adobe (the creator of PostScript)
> Devps is written by Pipeline Associates.

1) Are these, or similar, products available for Xenix 386
and/or Unix V.3/386 ?

2) Is anybody selling them in the uk (or europe).

Please email me and I will post a summary.

Thanks

--
John Pettitt G6KCQ, CIX jpettitt, Voice +44 1 398 9422
UUCP:  ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!pyrltd!slxsys!jpp  (jpp@slxsys.co.uk)

patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) (10/26/87)

Devps was developed under Xenix 3 and Xenix V.  One of our suppliers
had a problem porting it to Xenix V.3, apparently due to some bugs in
the stdio package (or was that Uport V.3 you had the problem with, Phil?).

Anyway, we have a European distributor:

Johan Helsingius
Penetron
mcvax!penet!julf