[comp.text] question: space in latex's math mode

dlee@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dik Lee) (11/09/87)

After failed getting help from local users, I hope I may get
some help from the net.

In Latex's math mode, a space is automatically added around a binary
operator (e.g., a+b will become a + b). Is there any easy way to
eliminate the space or to reduce the width of the space to one-halve
so that a long equation can fixed in one line. I tried
mbox{\small \( ... \)}, it does reduce the width of a equation
but not enough to fit it in one line. Any help would be appreciated.

- Dik Lee
--
Dept. Computer and Information Science	dlee@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University		..!cbosgd!tut.cis.ohio-state!dlee

rostamia@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Dr. Rouben Rostamian ) (11/13/87)

In article <1323@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> dlee@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dik Lee) writes:
>In Latex's math mode, a space is automatically added around a binary
>operator (e.g., a+b will become a + b). Is there any easy way to
>eliminate the space or to reduce the width of the space to one-halve
>so that a long equation can fixed in one line.

Try {a}{+}{b}.

paul@cgh.UUCP (0000-Paul Homchick) (11/15/87)

Re: removing space in TeX math mode, try \! which is a negative thin space.

--
Paul Homchick                     {allegra | ihnp4 | rutgers} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.; One Radnor Station, Suite 300; Radnor, PA 19087