[comp.text] latex2tex and dvi2vdu

dedina@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (12/05/87)

Is there a way of getting a TeX file from a LaTeX file?  I would like
to be able to combine papers written in LaTeX and TeX into one paper,
and this seems like the best way to do it.  Does a latex2tex program
exist?  (I'm on a VAX/VMS system).

As long as I'm on the net, I might as well repeat my request of a few
months ago for information on how to get dvi2vdu, a program from
Adelaide University which previews dvi files on non-graphics
terminals.  According to TUGboat, its supposed to be on the standard
distribution tapes, but we received the Maria Code tape a few months
ago and dvi2vdu wan't on it.  Thanks in advance for your help.
--------------------------------------
Mike Dedina
Indiana University Speech Research Lab
dedina@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

lamy@ai.toronto.edu.UUCP (12/08/87)

>Is there a way of getting a TeX file from a LaTeX file?  I would like
>to be able to combine papers written in LaTeX and TeX into one paper,

plain.tex is a macro package written in raw TeX, LaTeX is a macro package
written in raw TeX, and includes part of plain.tex, except for things it does
in different ways, namely most of the math environments, sectioning and lists.
There is nothing to prevent you from adding the definitions you need from
plain.tex to lplain.tex (the LaTeX definitions).

You have to be careful not to mix and match incompatible things (don't go
using TeX macros that play with margins within a list environment like
itemize! -- see Lamport's book for details).  You may have to put
equations formatted a la TeX inside boxes before letting LaTeX number them,
and so on.

Jean-Francois Lamy	               lamy@ai.toronto.edu  lamy@ai.toronto.cdn
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     uunet!ai.toronto.edu!lamy
University of Toronto                  lamy%ai.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net (arpa)
Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4	               lamy@ai.utoronto, lamy@utorgpu (bitnet)

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (12/15/87)

In article <10400004@silver>, dedina@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

> Is there a way of getting a TeX file from a LaTeX file?  I would like
> to be able to combine papers written in LaTeX and TeX into one paper,
> and this seems like the best way to do it.  Does a latex2tex program
> exist?  (I'm on a VAX/VMS system).

WHY do you want to do this? LaTeX is a set of TeX macros. All LaTeX
macros are defined in terms of TeX. I see no reason to convert.

> As long as I'm on the net, I might as well repeat my request of a few
> months ago for information on how to get dvi2vdu, a program from
> Adelaide University which previews dvi files on non-graphics
> terminals.  According to TUGboat, its supposed to be on the standard
> distribution tapes, but we received the Maria Code tape a few months
> ago and dvi2vdu wan't on it.  Thanks in advance for your help.
> --------------------------------------
> Mike Dedina
> Indiana University Speech Research Lab
> dedina@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

One thing you need as well, though, is an ADA compiler. I recall this
DVI2VDU beast is written in Ada! I also recall seeing the Ada source
posted to the net some moons ago (this year I think), so you can dig
around some of the archive (sites).

Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-8528

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, I'm only a physicist.
            Don't quote me on anything! I speak only for myself.

Opus: "Why, fer cryin' out loud..research physicists need Porsches, TOO!!"

						 -- Bloom County