[comp.text] dvi2ps and Psfig/TeX

hubert@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Steve Hubert) (01/07/88)

I'm trying to get Trevor Darrell's Psfig/TeX macros to work with the
dvi2ps which Chris Torek has available via anonymous ftp.  Psfig is a
macro package which facilitates the inclusion of PostScript code into
TeX documents.  It uses the \special command.  However, it is designed
to work with ArborText's dvips which I don't have.  Has anyone modified
either Psfig or dvi2ps so that they will work well together?
Alternatively, does anyone have another suggestion?  Thanks.

Steve Hubert
 Dept. of Stat., U. of Wash, Seattle
 hubert@entropy.ms.washington.edu
 {decvax,ihnp4}!uw-beaver!uw-entropy!hubert

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/07/88)

In article <701@entropy.ms.washington.edu> hubert@entropy.ms.washington.edu
(Steve Hubert) writes:
>I'm trying to get Trevor Darrell's Psfig/TeX macros to work with the
>dvi2ps which Chris Torek has available via anonymous ftp.

A small correction:  Whatever dvi2ps is available from mimsy.umd.edu
is not mine.  (Maybe if I stopped reading all this netnews I might
have time to work on it :-) .)  To put it another way, I have no idea
how it works or why it might not work.

trevor@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Trevor Darrell) (01/09/88)

In article <701@entropy.ms.washington.edu> hubert@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Steve Hubert) writes:
>I'm trying to get Trevor Darrell's Psfig/TeX macros to work with the
>dvi2ps which Chris Torek has available via anonymous ftp.  Psfig is a
>macro package which facilitates the inclusion of PostScript code into
>TeX documents.  It uses the \special command.  However, it is designed
>to work with ArborText's dvips which I don't have.  Has anyone modified
>either Psfig or dvi2ps so that they will work well together?

I just started installing Stephan Bechtolsheim's (i5f@l.cc.purdue.edu)
beta-test version of dvi2ps, in hopes of making the necessary changes
to psfig and dvi2ps for them to work together. (All that psfig
basicallty needs is a \special facililty for file and literal
postscript inclusion. Once I get it fully installed, I don't imagine
it is going to be difficult to get them to co-exist.) Unfortunatly
Stephan does not wish to release his code for general use quite yet,
so I can't promise when it will be available. I have heard rumors of a
few people here and there who have hacked up dvi2ps and psfig, but I
haven't actually seen any coherent package of code, so I thought I'd
bite the bullet and do it myself now that I have a bit of free time.
If anyone already has a stable dvi2ps that works with psfig, please
get in touch with me. I'll post when I have any distribution info
about dvi2ps and psfig/tex.

thanks,
--trevor

naparst@cartan.Berkeley.EDU (Harold Naparst) (01/09/88)

In article <701@entropy.ms.washington.edu> hubert@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Steve Hubert) writes:
>I'm trying to get Trevor Darrell's Psfig/TeX macros to work with the
>dvi2ps which Chris Torek has available via anonymous ftp.  Psfig is a
>macro package which facilitates the inclusion of PostScript code into
>TeX documents.  It uses the \special command.  However, it is designed
>to work with ArborText's dvips which I don't have.  Has anyone modified
>either Psfig or dvi2ps so that they will work well together?
>Alternatively, does anyone have another suggestion?  Thanks.

Everyone seems to be asking about this, so I'll follow-up rather than reply.
I posted a similar question a couple of months ago.  I had the same problem.
There are a lot of dvi2ps processors, each with their own method of including
postscript.  There is only one dvi2ps that psfig works with.  So people are
starting to hack psfig to work with their dvi2ps, or hack dvi2ps to work
with psfig, or both.  I don't know where we got ours from, but now we have
a combination that works OK, except it deletes everything on the page that
precedes the figure.  You get around this by placing the figure on a separate
page with \begin{figure}[p].

I don't really feel like mailing the whole thing to everyone in the world,
especially since it doesn't seem to be working well and it is over 1 Mbyte.

I have worked on this stuff for a couple of months now, and if you want my
advice (and I am serious), buy some scissors and glue.
--
Harold Naparst (415)-548-4652
  UUCP		{tektronix,dual,sun,ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!cartan!naparst

langdon@lll-lcc.aRpA (Bruce Langdon) (01/12/88)

In article <1489@cartan.Berkeley.EDU>, naparst@cartan.Berkeley.EDU (Harold Naparst) writes:
> In article <701@entropy.ms.washington.edu> hubert@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Steve Hubert) writes:
> >I'm trying to get Trevor Darrell's Psfig/TeX macros to work with the
> >dvi2ps which ....  However, it is designed to work with ArborText's dvips ...
>
> There are a lot of dvi2ps processors, each with their own method of including
> postscript.  There is only one dvi2ps that psfig works with.
>  ... now we have a combination that works OK, except it deletes everything
> on the page that precedes the figure.
>
> I have worked on this stuff for a couple of months now, and if you want my
> advice (and I am serious), buy some scissors and glue.

If your bureaucrats value your time, you may be able to BUY ArborText's
dvips, which does work and includes instructive example files. We did this
in 1986; it's cheaper now I think. Then, if a standard develops around
dvi2ps \special and you don't have a dvips site license by then, you will
have an additional option.
I consume and write netware too, but...
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
	Physics Department                  339650%d@nmfecc.arpa
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{ihnp4,qantel,ucdavis,pyramid,harvard,topaz}!lll-lcc!langdon