[comp.text] Unix DVI to VMS DVI conversion

aslam@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/20/87)

Evidently, TeX dvi files generated on unix systems can not be printed
under VAX/VMS. I suspect there is some kind of record format conversion
required because VMS loves to decorate its files with all sorts of
record attributes. Does someone have a program that runs under VMS and
converts DVI files from unix-land to vms-island? I know I can always
transport the TeX source and generate the dvi file; there have been cases
where all I had was the dvi file.

Sohail Aslam
Department of Computer Science
University of Illinois
arpa		aslam@a.cs.uiuc.edu
csnet		aslam@uiuc.csnet
usenet		{ihnp4,seismo}!uiucdcs!aslam

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (12/29/87)

In article <77900003@uiucdcsp>, aslam@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Evidently, TeX dvi files generated on unix systems can not be printed
> under VAX/VMS. I suspect there is some kind of record format conversion
> required because VMS loves to decorate its files with all sorts of
> record attributes. Does someone have a program that runs under VMS and
> converts DVI files from unix-land to vms-island? I know I can always
> transport the TeX source and generate the dvi file; there have been cases
> where all I had was the dvi file.
>
> Sohail Aslam
> Department of Computer Science
> University of Illinois
> arpa		aslam@a.cs.uiuc.edu
> csnet		aslam@uiuc.csnet
> usenet		{ihnp4,seismo}!uiucdcs!aslam

You may not need any programs to fix your problem, except CONVERT on the
VMS side. As I recall, VMS wants its DVI file in fixed-length records of
512 bytes. Since Unix doesn't care about that, that's probably why the two
are not comptable. First you need to pad your Unix-DVI file to some
multiple of 512 bytes; use hex FF as your padding (I think FF is the one
to use; I forget now, need to look at my pad program again (8-) since I
haven't used it for ages), then cook up a FDL file to convert your Unix-DVI file
to 512-byte fixed-length records and it should work. I ran across a simialr
problem with MicroTeX (from Addison-Wesley) v1.41A on my PC/XT and VMS. And the
FDL did the trick; the new version of MicroTeX (v1.51A) puts out files in
multiples of 512 bytes now.

Drop me a line if you still have problems. I can look up my padding program.

Peter/

p.s. Use VMS's DUMP to see what the last byte in the DVI file is, the
device drivers look for that byte! And use that as your padding character.

Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-8528

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, I'm only a physicist.
            Don't quote me on anything! I speak only for myself.

Opus: "Why, fer cryin' out loud..research physicists need Porsches, TOO!!"

						 -- Bloom County

dao@cs.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (02/09/88)

Recently, someone described how to convert DVI files generated
on a Unix system so they could be transferred to VAX/VMS and
correctly interpreted.  It involved padding the end of the file out
to a 512-byte boundary with (I thought) the last character in the file.
However, I tried that and one of Nelson Beebe's drivers which I run
under VMS still said, "Are you sure this is a DVI file?"

Could someone enlighten me, please?  I remember seeing the article
about it, but can't remember where (comp.text? TeXhax? UKTeX?...)
It was in the last month or so, anyway.

thanks in advance,
Dave
--
David Osborne
| Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK |