[comp.text] How can I get a varbatim that _does_ execute the imbedded commands

exodus@uop.edu (G.Onufer) (02/12/88)

I am new to TeX and I am starting out with LaTeX (sorry, no holography
on _this_ terminal)....  Is there a way of having verbatim but have
it execute the commands within (ie.  \tt + carriage returns + imbedded
italics and boldface) ???  I am trying to convert a Scribe document to
LaTeX and even with the scribe-TeX filter (which doesn't do too much),
I am having a hard time.

Thanks in advance for any help!

G. Onufer

...!ucdavis!uop!exodus

chris@trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) (02/14/88)

In article <1069@uop.edu> exodus@uop.edu (G.Onufer) writes:
>I am new to TeX and I am starting out with LaTeX ....  Is there a way
>of having verbatim but have it execute the commands within
>(ie.  \tt + carriage returns + imbedded italics and boldface) ???

Stop thinking of this as `verbatim' (clearly it is not!) and the
solution becomes obvious.  Tell LaTeX to use \tt, obey line
breaks (but see the suggestion in The LaTeXbook as to why not),
and obey spaces.  In Plain TeX (my LaTeX is uncertain):

	{\tt \obeyspaces \obeylines
	text...}
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
(hiding out on trantor.umd.edu until mimsy is reassembled in its new home)