[comp.text] Ditroff and Postscript

patti@bucket.UUCP (Patti Beadles) (02/11/88)

Brand new job:  Assignment number one on Monday morning was to take the
LaserWriter they'd bought and hook it up to the Xeniix box so that they
can run their ditroff output to it.  List of people who might be able
to help was kindly included.

After chasing down numberous references, nobody in the company knows
how to do it.  Actually, nobody knows how to do it without us having to
spend $1800 for a Transcript source license.  Which isn't out of the
question, but we'd like to avoid it if at all possible.

There has to be some way to do this.  Since it's supposedly device-
independent, my hunch would be that there's a relatively simple filter
available somewhere to do it.  But I know next to nothing about ditroff
(or *roff), and about that much about PostScript.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.
*  The opinions expressed above are a figment of your imagination.       *
*  ...tektronix!teksce!bucket!patti  Patti Beadles to non-net types.     *

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (02/14/88)

From article <764@bucket.UUCP>, by patti@bucket.UUCP (Patti Beadles):

> Nobody knows how to do it without us having to
> spend $1800 for a Transcript source license.

There are less expensive (and more functional) solutions
than Transcript from:
			Elan Computer Group, Inc.
			410 Cambridge Ave., Suite A
			Palo Alto CA 94306
			415-322-2450

A package called Eroff is a supported DWB package with LaserJet
and PostScript support.  PostScript driver-only is also available.

--
Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.

brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) (03/02/88)

In article <262@elan.UUCP> kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) writes:
>From article <764@bucket.UUCP>, by patti@bucket.UUCP (Patti Beadles):
>>
>> Nobody knows how to do it without us having to
>> spend $1800 for a Transcript source license.
>
>There are less expensive (and more functional) solutions
>than Transcript from:
>
>A package called Eroff is a supported DWB package with LaserJet
>and PostScript support.  PostScript driver-only is also available.

As a good alternative to either of these products Postsc does a great
job of combining the best of Eroff, Transcript and devps postprocessors
as well as giving all the functionallity of psfig.  Postsc gives you
faithful ditroff output and allows for including
		 (1) PostScript images,
         (2) PostScript programs to manipulate ditroff text or images, and
		 (3) easy commands to do simple PostScript manipulations
			 like mixing landscape and portrait orientations on a
			 single page.

Send me UUCP mail ucbvax!cgl!brianc or brianc@cgl.ucsf.edu and I'll
forward the manual page and the address/phone for more info.

             : UCSF Dept. of Lab. Medicine : brianc@cgl.ucsf.edu
Brian Colfer : PH. 415-476-2325            : brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu
             :                             : brianc@ucsfcca.bitnet

robert@pyr.gatech.EDU (Robert Viduya) (03/03/88)

We're currently using a package called devps(tm) written by Pipeline
Associates, Inc and distributed by Specialized Systems Consultants.
We've been pretty satisfied with it, but we haven't actually put it into
full production yet.   Contact SSC at (206)-FOR-UNIX for more info.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya						  robert@pyr.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services