[comp.text] Editing large files

mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) (03/08/88)

Does anyone know of a way of editing extremely large text files?  I have
a data base program that automatically generates these large reports
(in excess of 600k bytes) and I occasionally need to do some editing
on them.  Alternately, does anyone know of a program that can take a
large file and chop it up into manageable peices; this would permit
the user (me) to edit the different parts, and put the whole thing back
together again after editing?  Any help would be appreciated.

Mario Dona
...!{ !decwrl!qubix, ames!oliveb!tymix, pyramid}!wjvax!mario
The above opinions are mine alone and not, in any way, those of WJ.

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (03/08/88)

IN article <1232@wjvax.UUCP>, mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way of editing extremely large text files?  I have
> a data base program that automatically generates these large reports
> (in excess of 600k bytes) and I occasionally need to do some editing
> on them.

Try a text editor called "Brief".  I've edited files upwards of 2meg with
it.  It does not create temporary files anywhere (except in some rare cases
involving cut & paste, and I believe these never exceed 64K), so you don't
have to have a huge amount of disk space.  It's also as fast as any editor
I've used, especially for large files.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (03/09/88)

Mario Dona (mario@wjvax.UUCP) writes:
> Does anyone know of a way of editing extremely large text files?

If you have System V or Xenix, look into bfs (`big file scanner').
It was written by Marc Rochkind around the time he wrote SCCS for
System III, but doesn't exist on BSD systems.

> Alternately, does anyone know of a program that can take a
> large file and chop it up into manageable peices; ...

The `split' program is universal, but it's not geared to splitting
things on context-sensitive boundaries.  If you just want to break the
file up into N-line chunks without regard for context (because you'll
just recombine them later anyway), I recommend split.  Otherwise, look
into the `csplit' program (context split) on System III, System V,
and Xenix, but again not on BSD.  Csplit can split text at lines
containing certain patterns.  If you're running BSD, you're probably
stuck with `sed' unless you can find some public-domain tools for
this.

Hope this helps.
-- bd

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/12/88)

In article <1270003@hpsemc.HP.COM> bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) writes:
>If you have System V or Xenix, look into bfs (`big file scanner').

Or consider the Rand Editor (now the Grand Editor, from Grand Software
Inc.).  Whether the newest versions are like the ancient but venerable
hacked V6 version we had installed under 4.1BSD I cannot say, but that
version would edit arbitrarily large files, even on a PDP-11 with 64K
text+data+stack (non split I&D).