[comp.text] how can I get TeX bold superscripts?

lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) (03/30/88)

When superscripts or subscripts appear in ordinary text, it would
be nice if they were bold-faced in the context {\bf ...}.  But
the handling of superscripting and subscripting seems to be done
by TeX primitives, so I don't see how to arrange for this.  Does
anyone know a way?
	Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

drstrip@intvax.UUCP (David R. Strip) (04/01/88)

sub and superscript fonts are controlled by the \scriptfont command.
Check the TeXbook on page 153 for details.

David Strip

        gatech-------\
	       ucbvax--\
ihnp4------lanl-------unmvax--intvax--drstrip

jcb@its63b.ed.ac.uk (J Bradfield) (04/02/88)

In article <1711@uhccux.UUCP> lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) writes:
>When superscripts or subscripts appear in ordinary text, it would
>be nice if they were bold-faced in the context {\bf ...}.  But

The reason they aren't is because TeX sets \fam to -1 when maths mode
is entered. You could get round it like this:
\newcount\Fam
\Fam=-1
\def\bf{\fam\bffam\Fam\fam\tenbf}
\everymath{\fam\Fam}

which will mean that letters and numbers will be bold in maths in {\bf ...};
if you want other symbols to be bold as well, you have to work harder;
probably the easiest way is to do the above and also
\font\tenbsy=cmbsy10\font\sevenbsy=cmbsy7\font\fivebsy=cmbsy5
\def\bf{\fam\bffam\Fam\fam\tenbf
 \textfont0=\tenbf\scriptfont0=\sevenbf\scriptscriptfont0=\fivebf
 \textfont2=\tenbsy\scriptfont2=\sevenbsy\scriptscriptfont2=\fivebsy}

though you'll probably have to make cmbsy7 and cmbsy5 since they don't appear
to be on the standard distribution.

lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) (04/03/88)

In article <1711@uhccux.UUCP>, I asked:
" When superscripts or subscripts appear in ordinary text, it would
" be nice if they were bold-faced in the context {\bf ...}.  But
" the handling of superscripting and subscripting seems to be done
" by TeX primitives, so I don't see how to arrange for this.  Does
" anyone know a way?

Several people made very helpful suggestions.  Thanks.  Inasmuch as
I do not need to make math formulas into superscripts or subscripts,
the most straightforward solution appears to be:

	\def\bf{\fam\bffam\scriptfont0=\sevenbf \tenbf}

 	Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu