[comp.text] TeX with System V, LaserJet+ ?

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (05/05/88)

We are thinking of bringing up TeX, but I am still a little confused by
what I have read about it.  There are two major issues that I am not yet
clear on.

- How easy/difficult is it to bring up on a stock System V machine, with no
  source license and no Pascal compiler at all?  I've seen WEB-to-C mentioned
  but I don't know what it is.  I get the impression that at least some of
  TeX can now be brought up with just a C compiler - no Pascal - is this
  true?  If so, and if it is only "some", what parts still require Pascal?

- Is there a driver for the HP LaserJet+ printer?  The recent posting about
  this mentioned that the lj+ is not "officially" supported, and the driver
  included in the distribution has some strange quirks.  Are there others
  around?

Thanks for any information on this.

jw	...!mcvax!cernvax!pan!jw

samperi@marob.MASA.COM (Dominick Samperi) (05/07/88)

In article <394@pan.UUCP> jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) writes:
|>- How easy/difficult is it to bring up [TeX] a stock System V machine, with no
|>  source license and no Pascal compiler at all?  I've seen WEB-to-C mentioned

I just brought up Common TeX 2.9 on a 3b2/400 (without the device drivers, so
the .dvi files cannot be processed on the 3b2 yet). The code is written
entirely in C (by Pat Monardo at Berkeley), and compiled smoothly after
a rather large switch statement in eval.c was broken up into two switch
statements. (The code comes with no documentation, but Donald Knuth's
book, "TeX: The Program, is very helpful.

I suspect that there is another (perhaps two other?) version(s) of
TeX written in C, since several posters here have said that they were
able to compile "CTeX 2.9" under MSDOS, and even Microport, by using the
"header file in the MSDOS directory". My version includes no MSDOS directory,
and when I compiled it under MSDOS (using Microsoft C), the resulting
executable file was too big to run (about 950K!). Furthermore, the version
I have includes several references to integer values that cannot be stored
in a 16-bit word (see par.c, for example), so porting to a 16-bit machine
will require a few changes.

Has anyone had any experience implementing TeX device drivers under UNIX
System V?

--
Dominick Samperi, Manhattan College, NYC
    manhat!samperi@NYU.EDU           ihnp4!rutgers!nyu.edu!manhat!samperi

denny@mcmi.UUCP (Dennis Page) (05/10/88)

In article <394@pan.UUCP> jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) writes:

>We are thinking of bringing up TeX, but I am still a little confused by
>what I have read about it.  There are two major issues that I am not yet
>clear on.
>
>- How easy/difficult is it to bring up on a stock System V machine, with no
>  source license and no Pascal compiler at all?
>
>- Is there a driver for the HP LaserJet+ printer?

I have both C-TeX and CommonTeX running in VR3.  Both version 2.9,
both using C.  (Pascal?  What's Pascal?  :-)

After fixing a bug in gf format, I also have a version of dvijep running.
I don't know where the original programs came from, but it's old.  If
anyone out there has a new version of the C one, or a web (and change file)
for web2c, please let me know.
--
Denny Page			"So many pedestrians, so little time."

Martha, the Clones are loose again!