[comp.text] TeXhax Volume 88, Number 44

bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) (05/19/88)

TeXhax Digest   Tuesday, May 10, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 44
                 [SCORE.STANFORD.EDU]<TEX.TEXHAX>TEXHAX44.88

Moderator: Malcolm Brown

Today's Topics:

                                \input
                      TeX style for VMS manuals
                     VMS changes for BibTeX 0.99c
     TeX/LaTeX on a Gould Powernode 9080 (TeXhax Digest V88 #42)
               VMS change file for BIBTEX Version .99c
              RE: VMS manuals in TeX/ String Operations?
                         Re: TFM mismatching
                 Re: POSTSCRIPT FOR DEC SCRIPTWRITER
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #42
                  "Standard" collection of CM fonts
                  Big TeX/LaTeX for VAX/VMS systems.
             APS is considering LaTeX for their journals
                            Questions lost
     TeX/LaTeX on a Gould Powernode 9080 (TeXhax Digest V88 #42)
                            Two questions
     TeX/LaTeX on a Gould Powernode 9080 (TeXhax Digest V88 #42)

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 88 08:15:03 EDT
From: gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar)
Subject: \input

How can I get TeX to \input a file, if the file has a name with a space
character in it?

------------------------------

Date:	  Sat, 30 Apr 88 09:15:44 PDT
From:     KARNEY%PPC.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject:   TeX style for VMS manuals

I don't know how to get hold of DEC's style files they use for their
manuals.  However, Tom Fredian of MIT wrote some macros that accurately
mimick this style.  His mail address is: TWF%PFC-VAX.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU

    Charles Karney
    Plasma Physics Laboratory   Phone:   +1 609 243 2607
    Princeton University        MFEnet:  Karney@PPC.MFEnet
    PO Box 451                  ARPAnet: Karney%PPC.MFEnet@NMFECC.ARPA
    Princeton, NJ 08543-0451    Bitnet:  Karney%PPC.MFEnet@ANLVMS.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date:	  Sat, 30 Apr 88 09:20:42 PDT
From:     KARNEY%PPC.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject:   VMS changes for BibTeX 0.99c

I have a change file for BibTeX 0.99c for VAX/VMS systems.  It is based on
the Kellerman & Smith change file.  I am happy to send MY changes to anyone
who wants (this will be in the form of a difference file between my
BIBTEX.CH and the Kellerman & Smith's).

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 88 09:58:51 PDT
From: mackay@june.cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: TeX/LaTeX on a Gould Powernode 9080 (TeXhax Digest V88 #42)

The answer is WEB-to-C, just as it is the answer for almost any Unix-based
system with a reasonable view of large continually addressable data space.
(that is, just about anything but the 286 segmented world).

web2c.shar.Z is available from june.cs.washington.edu in ~ftp/pub.  You
can also find a bootstrap tangle.c there.  I have successfully compiled
a TeX with 1,000,000 "halfwords" of general purpose memory.  Except that
the core image is 9MB it is in every respect satisfactory.
(Big TeX requires some tinkering with data structures.)

Email:  mackay@june.cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Group	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Lewis Hall, Mail Stop DW10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 88 14:21 EST
From: "Jerry Leichter (LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU)"
Subject: VMS change file for BIBTEX Version .99c

BIBTeX change file for Vax/VMS
Modified, 12-Feb-88 by Jerry Leichter for Version .99b
Modified, 15-Apr-88 by Jerry Leichter for Version .99c
@x
\def\title{\BibTeX\ }
@y
\pageno=\contentspagenumber \advance\pageno by 1
\let\maybe=\iffalse
\def\title{\BibTeX changes for Vax/VMS}
@z

@x
@d banner=='This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c' {printed when the program starts}
@y
@d banner=='This is BibTeX, Vax/VMS Version 0.99c'
@z

@x
@d term_out == tty
@d term_in == tty
@y
@d term_out == output
@d term_in == input
@z

@x
@d print(#) == begin write(log_file,#); write(term_out,#); end
@d print_ln(#) == begin write_ln(log_file,#); write_ln(term_out,#); end
@d print_newline == print_a_newline
				{making this a procedure saves a little space}
@#
@d trace_pr(#) == begin write(log_file,#); end
@d trace_pr_ln(#) == begin write_ln(log_file,#); end
@d trace_pr_newline == begin write_ln(log_file); end

@<Procedures and functions for all file I/O, error messages, and such@>=
procedure print_a_newline;
begin
write_ln(log_file);
write_ln(term_out);
end;
@y
@d print(#) == begin write(log_file,#); write(term_out,#); end
@d print_ln(#) == begin write_ln(log_file,#,chr(13),chr(10));
 write_ln(term_out,#,chr(13),chr(10)); end
@d trace_pr_ln(#) == begin write_ln(log_file,#,chr(13),chr(10)); end
@d trace_pr_newline == begin write_ln(log_file,chr(13),chr(10)); end

@<Procedures and functions for all file I/O, error messages, and such@>=
procedure print_a_newline;
begin
write_ln(log_file,chr(13),chr(10));
write_ln(term_out,chr(13),chr(10));
end;
@z

@x
@d othercases == others: {default for cases not listed explicitly}
@y
@d othercases == otherwise {Vax/VMS default for cases not listed
 explicitly}
@z

@x
program BibTEX;			{all files are opened dynamically}
@y
program BibTEX(input,output);
			{all files are opened dynamically}
@z

@x
@<Compiler directives@>=
@{@&$C-,A+,D-@}	 {no range check, catch arithmetic overflow, no debug overhead}
@!debug @{@&$C+,D+@}@+ gubed		{but turn everything on when debugging}
@y
On Vax/VMS, there are no compiler directives that can be introduced in this
way, but we take this opportunity to include a few sysetem dependent goodies.

@d VAX_text==@= text @>
@d VAX_new==@= new @>
@d VAX_none==@= none @>
@d VAX_word==@= word @>
@d VAX_error==@= error @>
@d VAX_length==@= length @>
@d VAX_syi_sid==@= syi$_sid @>
@d VAX_continue==@= continue @>
@d VAX_external==@= external @>
@d VAX_readonly==@= readonly @>
@d VAX_volatile==@= volatile @>
@d VAX_aligned==@= aligned @>
@d VAX_unsigned==@= unsigned @>
@d VAX_carriage_control==@= carriage_control @>
@d VAX_io_setmode==@= io$_setmode @>
@d VAX_iom_ctrlcast==@= io$m_ctrlcast @>
@d VAX_immed==@= %immed @>
@d VAX_stdescr==@= %stdescr @>
@d VAX_ref==@= %ref @>
@d VAX_qiow==@= $qiow @>
@d VAX_assign==@= $assign @>
@d VAX_numtim==@= $numtim @>
@d VAX_getsyi==@= $getsyi @>
@d VAX_lib_get_foreign==@= lib$get_foreign @>
@d VAX_disposition==@= disposition @>
@d VAX_delete==@= delete @>
@d VAX_save==@= save @>
@d VAX_varying==@= varying @>
@d VAX_substr==@= substr @>
@d VAX_trnlog==@= $trnlog @>
@d VAX_ss_normal==@= ss$_normal @>

@<Compiler directives@>=
@=[check(none)]@> {no debug overhead, but...}
debug @=[check(all)]@> gubed {turn everything on when debugging}
@z

@x
@!alpha_file=packed file of text_char; {files that contain textual data}
@y
@!alpha_file=text; {files that contain textual data}
@z

@x
@d reset_OK(#)==erstat(#)=0
@d rewrite_OK(#)==erstat(#)=0

@<Procedures and functions for file-system interacting@>=
function erstat(var f:file):integer; extern;	{in the runtime library}
@#@t\2@>
function a_open_in(var f:alpha_file):boolean;	{open a text file for input}
begin reset(f,name_of_file,'/O'); a_open_in:=reset_OK(f);
end;
@#
function a_open_out(var f:alpha_file):boolean;	{open a text file for output}
begin rewrite(f,name_of_file,'/O'); a_open_out:=rewrite_OK(f);
end;
@y
@<Procedures and functions for file-system interacting@>=
function a_open_in(var f:alpha_file):boolean;	{open a text file for input}
begin
open(f,name_of_file,VAX_readonly,VAX_error:=VAX_continue);
if status(f)>0 then a_open_in:=false
else begin
 reset(f,VAX_error:=VAX_continue);
 a_open_in:=status(f)<=0;
 end;
end;
@#
function a_open_out(var f:alpha_file):boolean;	{open a text file for output}
begin
open(f,name_of_file,VAX_new,16383,{VAX_disposition:=VAX_delete,}
	VAX_error:=VAX_continue);
if status(f)>0 then a_open_out:=false
else begin
 rewrite(f,VAX_error:=VAX_continue);
 a_open_out:=status(f)<=0;
 end;
end;
@z

@x
pre_define('texinputs:  ',10,file_area_ilk);
s_bst_area := hash_text[pre_def_loc];
pre_define('texbib:     ',7,file_area_ilk);
s_bib_area := hash_text[pre_def_loc];
@y
pre_define('tex$inputs: ',11,file_area_ilk);
s_bst_area := hash_text[pre_def_loc];
pre_define('tex$bib:    ',8,file_area_ilk);
s_bib_area := hash_text[pre_def_loc];
@z

@x
This section should be replaced, if necessary, by changes to the program
that are necessary to make \BibTeX\ work at a particular installation.
It is usually best to design your change file so that all changes to
previous sections preserve the section numbering; then everybody's version
will be consistent with the printed program. More extensive changes,
which introduce new sections, can be inserted here; then only the index
itself will get a new section number.
@y
Here are the remaining changes to the program
that are necessary to make \.{TeX} work on Vax/VMS.

@z

------------------------------

Date:         Sat, 30 Apr 1988 08:59 EDT
From: Jim Walker <N410109%univscvm.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:      RE: VMS manuals in TeX/ String Operations?

Answers to two questions in TeXhax V88 #42:

VMS manuals are produced using a DEC product called VAXDocument. It uses
TeX as its typesetting engine, but has another markup language as a
front end.

TeX doesn't have much in the way of string operations, but to just
compare a string to another, you can use \ifx.  It is also possible to
test for the presence of a substring using a macro with a delimited
parameter.  For instance, suppose that the macro \blah expands to a
string, and you want to test whether it contains the letter x. Then
something like the following should work.
 \def\findx#1x#2\end{\def\foo{#2}\ifx\foo\empty \message{no x}\else
   \message{there's an x}\fi}
 \expandafter\findx\blah x\end

  --Jim Walker, Department of Mathematics, University of South Carolina

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 88 15:05 PDT
From: Don Hosek <DHOSEK%YMIR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: TFM mismatching

My experience has been that TFM mismatching occurs when (1) You are using a
pre-generated FMT from a tape: This happened to me while installing TeX on a
CMS system; (2) You are mixing pre-generated fonts with the same fonts at
different magnifications: The problem is not the mode_def settings; they
shouldn't affect the checksum unless they're *really* drastic (and even then,
I don't think it would make a difference). The problem here is that the
pre-generated fonts might have come from a different version of the CM MF
source than what you have on-line. I generally don't trust pre-generated
fonts--I've had plenty of bad experiences and too few good ones. Especially on
some machines (like an IBM 3081) generating a complete set of fonts (all the
cm at magsteps 0 1/2 1 2 3 4 5) generally can be accomplished in about a day.
On a smaller machine (say a MicroVAX, or a 4341 or something along those lines)
it might take up to a week, but it's well worth the time, to be sure that
you're consistent. Under these circumstances, when one gets an invalid
checksum, one *knows* that it means their's a problem with the font (this
occured to me recently with a cminch at magstep5; MF died in the middle of
processing the font, as a result the checksum didn't match. Since I run MF in
batchmode, their's no other way for me to spot these bad fonts.

-dh

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 88 15:14 PDT
From: Don Hosek <DHOSEK%YMIR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: POSTSCRIPT FOR DEC SCRIPTWRITER

This message was bounced by the Colorado mailer, so I'm sending it to the
list-at-large. Additions or corrections to this information are welcome-send
them to me at <DHOSEK@YMIR.BITNET>

Assuming that the DEC Scriptwriter isn't really bizarre (such as having an
unusual resolution) you should be able to use any PostScript converter. Aside
from having an odd resolution, I can't think of much else that could be unique
about any brand of PostScript printer. And even if that is the case, any
PostScript driver will still work (but the output might be less than optimum
if the resolution is a multiple of 300 or really ugly if it's otherwise). One
driver, DVI/PS will poll the printer and find out what engine and resolution
are used and will then use appropriate fonts. DVIALW, should be easily changed
to use another resolution; I'm not sure about DVI/PS. One driver not listed
below, DVIOUT, is described in TeXhax v88n40. It's available from the DECUS
library.

   Arbortext, Inc.
    DVIlaser/PS
     Allows inclusion of graphics, use of printer resident fonts, font
     substitution, font scaling, and magnifies or shrinks images,
     landscape printing and uses pxl, gf and pk files.
     Cost: $500 workstations; $750 mainframes. Site licenses available.
           Academic discounts available.

Arbortext, Inc.
 Contact: Bruce Baker
 Postal Address: 535 W. William Street
                 Suite 300
                 Ann Arbor, MI 48103
 Phone: (313) 996-3566
 Arpanet: bwb%arbortext@umix.cc.umich.EDU

   University of Sydney
    Dvi/PS (by Alec Dunn)
     Uses GF, and both word- and byte-packed PXL fonts. Allows landscape
     printing, inclusion of PostScript graphics (described in TUGboat 8#2), and
     use of PostScript fonts. A PostScript-from-Mac program is available on
     request. The program communicates with the printer to determine what
     resolution/set of fonts to use. Written in Pascal. Source not included.
     Cost: $500

University of Sydney
 Contact: Alec Dunn
 Postal Address: School of Electrical Engineering
                 University of Sydney
                 NSW 2006, Australia
 Phone: (02) 692-2014
 Acsnet: alecd@facet.ee.su.oz
 Arpanet: alecd%facet.ee.su.oz@Seismo.Css.GOV

   University of Utah
    DVIALW (by Nelson H.F. Beebe and Neal Holtz)
     Uses GF, PK or PXL files. Graphics inclusion is supported. Written in C.
     Source is included.

University of Utah
 Contact: Nelson H.F. Beebe
 Postal Address: Center for Scientific Computing
                 220 South Physics
                 University of Utah
                 Salt Lake City, UT 84112
 Phone: (801) 581-5254
 Arpanet: Beebe@Science.Utah.EDU
 Availability: All of the Beebe drivers are distributed together. They are
               available on IBM PC-DOS floppy disks (about 6), or 1600bpi
               9-track tape in TOPS-10/20 BACKUP/DUMPER format, VAX/VMS BACKUP
               format, Unix tar format, and ANSI D-format. Send tape or disks
               for a copy.
FTP: The programs are available for anonymous FTP from SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU on the
     internet; information is in the file PS:<ANONYMOUS>00README.TXT. A
     VAX/VMS binary distribution is available for anonymous FTP (password
     guest) from CTRSCI.UTAH.EDU. 00README.TXT in the login directory gives
     details. On JANET, the programs may be obtained from the directory
     aston.kirk::[public.texdvi210]. On DECnet, they are available from the
     DECnet file repository, for more information send mail to the DECnet
     address <39937::luvisetto>.
Listserve: The drivers are available from Listserv on EARN to European Bitnet
           users. Sending the command GET DRIVER FILELIST (in an interactive
           message, or as the first line of a mail message) to LISTSERV@DHDURZ1.
           Files are obtained with the command GET filename filetype.

Hope this is helpful,
-dh

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 88 15:44:32 PDT
From: lamport@src.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #42

Jim Gerland writes:

   I found a missing \def in letter.sty.  Sorry if this has been announced
   before but I haven't seen it so I thought I'd let you know.  Are there
   any other 'fixes' I should know about?  Thanks,

The missing def, of \fromname, is needed in the standard letter.sty
file only if the user doesn't type a \signature command.  I don't know
if it's a legal input file if it doesn't have a \signature command.
I'll add the definition in the file, but I wouldn't advise people to
rush out and get the new version.

"Josie" writes:

   I am a novice user of TeX and a more advanced user of LaTeX. I have
   encountered two problems when running LaTeX one which I've been able to
   solve and the other which I haven't.  They are as follows:

   1.  When I create a table of contents, I must include the
   \tableofcontents command at the end of the document otherwise my output
   will consist of an empty page with the word CONTENTS on the upper left
   hand corner.  Before I process the .TOC file, I must edit it to include
   a \setcounter{page} command.  For example, if the last page in my
   document is page 80, the first page of the table of contents will be
   81.  I assume this is because the \tableofcontents command appears at
   the end of the document.  I may may then process the .TOC file.

   2.  When I choose the [titlepage] option in the article style (to
   create a separate title page) in addition to a \thanks command, the
   footnotes are not numbered "properly." With the book and report styles
   and the article style in which the [titlepage] option is NOT chosen,
   footnotes to the title page are marked by an asterisk, dagger, double
   dagger and so on.  However, once the [titlepage] option is chosen,
   footnotes are numbered (1, 2, etc.) By the way, this does not affect
   the numbering of footnotes in the document.  For example, the first
   footnote in the text will be numbered 1.  Does anyone know how I can
   number the footnotes correctly?

1. The \tableofcontents command should be put exactly where you want the
table of contents.  He/she jumped to a hasty conclusion about what would
and wouldn't work; I suggest reading section 4.1 of the manual.

2. He/she has, for some unknown reason, decided that it is correct
to number footnotes in a title by asterisk, etc. and incorrect to number
them 1, 2, ...  LaTeX is numbering the footnotes exactly the way I
thought they should be numbered.  If he/she wants to change the way
they are numbered, I recommend looking in the index under "numbering".

If my answers to these questions are even more abrupt than usual, it is
because this sort of novice question should not be wasting
everyone's time by appearing in TeXHaX.  Anyone who sells or installs
LaTeX is supposed to produce a Local Guide and designate some local
wizard to answer such simple questions and forward more difficult
ones.  I expect that Josie had no one to turn to with his/her
questions, so it wasn't his/her fault, but that doesn't make me any
happier to answer them.

Leslie Lamport

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 May 88 03:54:22 EDT
From: jonradel%icecream.Princeton.EDU@Princeton.EDU (Jon Radel)
Subject: "Standard" collection of CM fonts

>From TeXhax41.88:

>A user wanted to print a document with cmr9 at magstep1.  We didn't
>have it because it wasn't in the Unix TeX distribution. Now I
>understand that what was provided on the tape is fairly minimal and I
>should make more sizes. The question is, what is a standard set of CM
>fonts?

As far as I know, there isn't any such thing.  What I distribute as
the "standard" are the 16 essential fonts mentioned by Knuth in {\it
Computer Modern Typefaces} in steps 0 through 5, cminch in step 0,
and the 58 other fonts at steps 0 through 1.

The people at Personal TeX, Inc. do the same thing, except that they
add cmcsc10, cmb10, and cmss10 to the fonts supported in all magsteps.

If you find someone with more authorative ideas on the matter, I'd
love to hear them.

--Jon Radel
jonradel@icecream.princeton.edu

------------------------------

Date:	  Sun, 1 May 88 07:13:01 PDT
From:     KARNEY%PPC.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject:   Big TeX/LaTeX for VAX/VMS systems.

Big TeX/LaTeX for VAX/VMS systems.

The standard versions of TeX for VAX/VMS systems fit a memory_word into a
longword (32 bits).  As a consequence mem_max is limited to 2^16 or 65000.
This means that some applications (particularly processing halftone images,
etc.) are impossible.

These limitations are removed by packing a memory_word into a quadword (64
bits).  This is similar to the approach taken by Adrian Clark.  However, I
take care of the alignments of the components in memory_word, to give
slightly better performance.

I'll describe the changes necessary to TEX.CH:

(A) Here are the components of memory_word:
A memory_word is 64 bits [quad],
A halfword is 32 bits [long],
A quarterword is 16 bits [word],
An integer is 32 bits [long],
A glue ratio is double-precision [quad].

(B) Constant settings:
Set mem_max and mem_top to 400000
Set max_quarterword to 1023 (anything up to $2^{14}-1$ is OK)
Set max_halfword to @"3FFFFFFF (this is $2^{30}-1$ which is the maximum)

(C) Use double precision for glue ratios:
@d set_glue_ratio_zero(#) == #:=0.0@&D0 {store the representation of zero ratio}
@d set_glue_ratio_one(#) == #:=1.0@&D0 {store the representation of unit ratio}
@d real == double {use double precision reals for computation}
@d float(#) == # {convert from |glue_ratio| to type |real|}
@d unfloat(#) == # {convert from |real| to type |glue_ratio|}
@d float_constant(#) == #.0@&D0 {convert |integer| constant to |real|}
@!glue_ratio=real; {one-word representation of a glue expansion factor}

(D) Type definitions:
@!two_halves = [@=quad@>] packed record@;@/
  @!rh:halfword;
  case two_choices of
  1: (@!lh:[@=long@>] halfword);
  2: (@!b0:[@=word@>] quarterword; @!b1:[@=word@>] quarterword);
  end;
@!four_quarters = [@=quad@>] packed record@;@/
  @!b0:[@=word@>] quarterword;
  @!b1:[@=word@>] quarterword;
  @!b2:[@=word@>] quarterword;
  @!b3:[@=word@>] quarterword;
  end;
@!memory_word = [@=quad@>] record@;@/
  case four_choices of
  1: (@!int:integer);
  2: (@!gr:glue_ratio);
  3: (@!hh:two_halves);
  4: (@!qqqq:four_quarters);
  end;

(E) Make sure $numtim uses an array of 16 bit words (uword is 0..@"FFFFFF):
var t:packed array[1..7] of uword; {raw year, month, day and time}
begin @= $numtim@>(t);@/

NOTES:

(1) The maximum values for max_quarterword and max_halfword (2^{14}-1 and
2^{30}-1) are less than what will fit into a longword and a quadlong.  The
limit on max_quarterword is given by the fact that TANGLE does arithmetic
on it, and objects if any of its calculations exceed 2^{15}-1.  The limit
on max_halfword is given by the fact that TeX makes the comparison
"2*max_halfword<mem_top-mem_min" in its setup.

(2) Two considerations bear on the selection of max_quarterword: (a) There
are arrays (used for hyphenation) which are declared [quarterword]; these
begin to occupy significant space with max_quarterword set to its maximum
possible value.  (b) font_max must not exceed max_quarterword; so if you
need to use lots of fonts, max_quarterword will need to be increased.  The
value above (1023) is a compromise.

(3) Big TeX/LaTeX is .tex and .dvi file compatible with the regular
versions.  The .fmt files are NOT compatible.  (In fact they are exactly
twice as big as the old files, because each memory_word now occupies 64
bits vs. 32 bits before.)  If you compare the .dvi files, you will notice
miniscule differences in the positioning, because glue_ratios are stored as
couble precision numbers.

(4) These changes were made to the Kellerman & Smith change file.  Similar
changes would apply to the Stanford distribution.

(5) The big LATEX.EXE (= virtex with lplain.fmt preloaded) is 1504 blocks
long (vs. 1023 blocks for the regular version).

(6) Big LATEX.EXE consumes about 20% more CPU time.  (Test done on 60 page
LaTeX paper with average memory requirements, on VAX 8600 with 32 Mbyte
memory.)

Date:	  Sun, 1 May 88 14:59:26 PDT
From:     KARNEY%PPC.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject:   APS is considering LaTeX for their journals

The American Physical Society is undertaking a study of TeX for use in its
journals (Phys. Rev., Phys. Rev. Lett., Rev. Mod. Phys.).  It is likely
that they will use LaTeX as a base, with appropriate style files for the
various journals.  The American Institute of Physics (publishers of Phys.
Fluids, et al.) is interested in this effort too.  It'll probably be at
least a year before they are prepared to accept TeX manuscripts in
machine-readable form.  The people involved in this effort at APS are:
Peggy Judd and Peggy Mason, 500 Sunnyside Blvd., Woodbury, NY 11797.
I am on the APS publications committee so if you have any information you
think the APS should have, you can send it to me.

Date: Sun 1 May 88 15:24:00-PDT
From: LMCDONALD@ECLA.USC.EDU
Subject: Questions lost

	Since I have not seen my questions in the last few issues of
	TeXHAX, I assume they got lost.

	1. I have some logos that are in bitmap format (hexidecimal).
	   Do any of you Metafont wizards have a suggestion
	   for EASILY converting the bitmaps to Metafont format.
	   Basically, I would like to give Metafont the
	   bitmaps `as is'...

	2. Is it possible to have the macros provided in TugBoat to
	   be `on-line'?  This would save some headaches in transcribing
	   from the book.

	Louis McDonald
	Hughes Aircraft (TeX Apprentice)
	lmcdonald@ecla.usc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 May 88 06:47:46 EDT
From: jp@atrp.media.mit.edu (Jean-Pierre Schott)

Thanks for the advice but ... WEB-to-C does not work on the Gould. It produces
exactly the same symptoms that Pat Monardo's TeX produce i.e. it can compile
the program but cannot link it due to address data space limitations.
The constraints on address space on a Gould are quite severe. The exact error
message is

ld: warning: near subsegments too big for 5 bases
ld: tex6.o:
  no base for reloc of memref instruction at text+DF0 relative to symbol _trie
ld: 464 more 'no base ' errors

The usual way to get around the problem is look at the sources and rewrite it
in a different way. I would like to avoid it for obvious reasons ...

Jean-Pierre Schott
(ARPA) jp@atrp.media.mit.edu
(UUCP) ..!mit-eddie!mit-atrp!jp

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 May 88 08:48:37 CDT
From: Jonathan Nagler <e339nj%tamunix.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:  Two questions

hi.  I have 2 questions (one for me, one for a colleague):

        a) is there a macro available for TeX to do endnotes
           rather than footnotes?
        b) is there a way to generate an index to a supplied list of
           keywords?

I'm quite a novice at TeX so I have no idea as to the likelihood of
either of these things existing.  If you have any suggestions please
email to me directly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

                                -- jonathan nagler
                                        e339nj@tamunix

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 May 88 08:29:40 PDT
From: mackay@june.cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)

Your message at last explains why the Gould port of pascal-based TeX
never got completed.  It sounds as if there is only one possible
approach, and that is to convert the couple of large arrays into
pointer references.  That has worked even on 64K segmented architecture,
under MS-DOS.

Why on earth did Gould use segmented architecture on what they
were trying to advertise as a good high-speed file-server
and large process execution system for Unix Work-Stations?
No wonder the pitch failed.  I heard some of the sales talks
a couple of years ago.  It is bizarre to think that they were
suggesting the adoption of a server with worse limitations
than the client 68020 machines they were trying to serve.
I wish I had known enough to ask the right questions at the
time.

Pierre

%%%
%%%     All others: send mail to
%%%           texhax-request@score.stanford.edu
%%%     please send a valid arpanet address!!
%%%
%%%
%%% All submissions to: texhax@score.stanford.edu
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------

-------

--
|Brian T. Schellenberger| "The Earth is but one     | ...!mcnc!rti!sas!bts     |