[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V88 #52

TeXhax@Score.Stanford.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (06/02/88)

TeXhax Digest   Wednesday, June  1, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 52

Moderator: Malcolm Brown

Today's Topics:

                      Doing a magazine in LaTeX
                           PC-WRITeX driver
                           Re: raggedright
                            DVIDOC for VMS
                          Bad hyphen in TeX
      Bizarre LaTeX Problem With \{ \} In Section Names and Such
                 Text to very top of page with LaTeX?
                     cm fonts in ROM (TeXhax#48)
                       inbook and bibtex 0.99c
                Availability of TeX for Unix System V
           Re: \leaders and \hbox question (TeXhax 88 #48)
                 Re: Standard set of Computer Modern
                            Labels for TeX
                            Sticky problem
                       CMS change files wanted
                             underlining
            Putting a QED at the end of a proof in AmsTex.
                              LaTeX bug
                         SliTeX Font problem
         Pentastich numbering (was: Legal Documents plus ...)
                        Bug in Arbor text TeX
                             LaTeX + SGML

Date:	25-MAY-1988 10:00:52 GMT -01:00
From:	THOWARD%graphics.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject:	Doing a magazine in LaTeX

Does anyone have any experience of using LaTeX to produce a complete
magazine/newsletter? I'm about to embark on an experimental venture,
but before I do, I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried this, and
might have some advice (or even macros!) to share.

Thank you
Toby

Toby Howard
Computer Graphics Unit, Department of Computer Science,
Manchester University, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK, M13 9PL.
Phone: +44 61 275 6224
Janet: toby@uk.ac.man.cs.cgu
ARPA:  toby%cgu.cs.man.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 May 88 14:56 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PC-WRITeX driver

Over the last 6 months or so, I have been responding to users' queries
about the PCWRITeX driver I put together. Most of it concerned vagrant
bugs and a desire for closer co-operation with PC-WRITE.

I have now generated a v2.1 of this driver which fixes all reported
bugs and adds quite a lot more capability. Some of the control codes
(Alt keys) have had to change to accommodate some vagaries of
PC-WRITE.

I am shipping a copy this weekend (28/29 May 88) of a new .ARC or .UUE
file (as appropriate) to all those who responded to the original
announcement with an offer to act as a distribution point. I would be
grateful if these people would pass on the file to those to whom they
passed it on before, and/or install it in the assorted BBs, file
servers etc as appropriate.

Peter Flynn
<cbts8001@vax1.ucc.ie>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 May 88 08:53:58 PDT
From: lamport@decwrl.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: raggedright

In V88 #50, Michael Soul wrote:

   I've been trying to make slides using straight LaTeX (we don't have the
   fonts to make SliTeX work and anyway I don't fancy sans serif).  I have
   \vspace*\vfill at the top, and \vfill and a \tiny footer line at the
   bottom so that the main text is vertically centred in the page.  If the
   whole document is made \raggedright, the last line of every page (my
   footer line) completely vanishes.  It's not the \tiny font, and its not
   the DEC LN03 laser (overflow comes out on a new page as expected.
   Taking the vfills away brings it back.  Putting the \raggedright inside
   an environment that stops before the \vfill makes it comes out alright.

At my request, he sent me a file containing the problem.  It turned out
that the last line had not vanished--he had simply set the value of
\textheight large enough so that the last line was being printed below
the bottom of the page.

His slides ended with

   bottom line\\
   \newpage

which is incorrect--a \\ command should go between lines in a
paragraph, not at the end of a paragraph.  Apparently, such an
incorrect \\ command has a different effect depending upon whether or
not it appears in the scope of a \raggedright declaration.  (Soul might
have discovered the source of the problem himself had he paid attention
to the `Underfull hbox' message produced when he removed the
\raggedright declaration.) Since I never promised that incorrect input
would not lead to surprises, I don't think that any change to LaTeX is
required.  However, a cursory glance through the manual indicates that,
while I discuss the usual problem caused by this incorrect use of
the \\ command, I never explicitly say that it is an incorrect use.
Perhaps I need to add something to that effect in the manual, but I'm
not sure where the best place to add it is.

Leslie Lamport

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 88 12:40:00 EST
From: "Michael J. Porter" <mike@vax.oit.udel.edu>
Subject: DVIDOC for VMS

I have a VMS change file for DVIDOC nearly done.  I decided to use
the DCL command line interface rather than the UNIX style command
interface used in the basic DVIDOC, but I have not completed it.

In addition, I decided to use the CRMPSC system service as the method
to read DVI and TFM files.  (This service will associate virtual
addresses with any file.  To read the file, all you have to do
is reference memory through a pointer returned by the service)

I removed all C code from the original program since VMS PASCAL
is probably faster than VMS C.  There are still two source files,
one in WEB, and the other in VMS Pascal.  I did this because WEB
complains too much about symbols like PAS$FAB and statements like
OPEN( xx, STATUS:=CONTINUE).  I am aware of @=...@> (or whatever),
but it is a pain to use in a system interface module.  I will be
forwarding this to the main TeX program library when it is complete.

					Mike Porter

mike@vax.oit.udel.edu

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 88  1528 PDT
From: Arthur Keller <ARK@SAIL.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Bad hyphen in TeX

pres-plitting is wrongly used by TeX instead of \pre-splitting.
Arthur

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 May 88 19:08 EST
From: "Jerry Leichter (LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU)"
Subject: Bizarre LaTeX Problem With \{ \} In Section Names and Such

Consider the following pointless piece of LaTeX input:

	\documentstyle{article}
	\begin{document}
	\tableofcontents
	\section{abc \{def\}x \{ ghi \} cba}
	\end{document}

Run it through LaTeX and check the output.  The section header for the
single empty section will read:

	abc {def}x { ghi } cba

just as you would expect.  Now check the table of contents entry.  It reads:

	abc {def}x {ghi }cba

Where did the two missing spaces go?  A look at the AUX and TOC files - and
LATEX.TEX - reveals the answer:  Since \{ is robust, it is defined as
\protect\@lb, where \@lb eventually expands to {.  The relevent part of the
AUX file contains:

   ...def\string\@rb\space x \string\@lb\space  ghi \string\@rb\space  cba...

Note that \{ has gone through one level of expansion, and has been replaced by
\@lb.  The TOC file written when this AUX file is later read in contains:

    ...def\@rb x \@lb ghi \@rb cba...

which is a fairly accurate rendering of the input - except for one problem:
\{ does not ignore spaces after it, while \@rb does!

It's tempting to try to fix this by changing \{:

	\def\{{\protect{\@lb{}}}

The idea is to prevent spaces after the substituted \@lb from being absorbed.

This fixes one problem, but introduces another.  Look more closely at the line
from the TOC file.  Notice that there's a space between \@rb and x, although
there was no such space in the original input.  Once we've gotten to the TOC
file, that space - which came from the \space you can see at the same position
in the line from the AUX file, where it was inserted by the definition of
\protect that is current when an AUX file is written - is indistinguishable
from the space between \@lb and ghi.  There is no way to preserve one in the
output, and discard the other.  Our "fixed" definition of \{ will produce a
new kind of error, an EXTRA space:

	abc { def}x { ghi} cba

(Here I've "fixed" \{ but left \} unchanged to make the difference clear.)

I think fixing this requires a change to the definition of \protect used when
writing AUX files.  Currently, \protect\foo will write \string\foo\space to
the AUX file.  This places a space after \foo in the TOC file, and ensures
that it doesn't run into text that follows it.  Instead of that space, the TOC
file should contain {} after the \foo, which has the same effect but insulates
not only succeeding text, but succeeding spaces as well.  I made a quick stab
at this, without success - it screwed up the \numberline in the created TOC
file, since a {} separated \numberline from its argument.  I haven't tried
hacking this any further, as I'm pretty sure I'll run into more unexpected
interactions; but by expect it could be made to work.

							-- Jerry

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 88 16:24 -0600
From: Jim Walker <walkerj%wnre.aecl.cdn%ean.ubc.ca@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Text to very top of page with LaTeX?

I have a problem in that I would occasionally like the text of a page (well
actually a parbox) to start where the running head normally is. I realise
that I can define my own pagestyle for these pages, but this means changing
the value of \headheight, \textheight etc. In view of the warnings in the
LaTeXbook against changing these style parameters on the fly, does anyone
have a solution to this problem?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 May 88 00:35:01 EDT
From: jonradel%icecream.Princeton.EDU@Princeton.EDU (Jon Radel)
Subject: cm fonts in ROM (TeXhax#48)

>Do there exist laser printers for which it is possible to get the
>Computer Modern fonts in ROM? ...

I haven't heard of any ROM versions of the CM fonts, but if you have
a printer that can deal with large numbers of downloaded fonts,
things can be just as fast.  For example, the new high end Apple
LaserWriter II with a SCSI drive for fonts, and a driver (say,
Arbortext's) that's very smart about downloaded fonts, and nary a
bit-map will have to be sent to the printer after you get it set up.

Costs a bit more than a LN03, though...

--Jon Radel

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 24 May 88 17:34:28 BST
From: Ian Moor <mcvax!doc.ic.ac.uk!iwm@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject:  inbook and bibtex 0.99c

I am trying to use the inbook entry type to refer to a chapter of a book, the
chapters have different authors and the book has an editor. I get warnings if
I have both an author and editor, and if I crossref to the book. I think this
should be possible. I am using plain.bst.

Is there a description of the differences between old and new .bst files ?
I have
some old ones with no corresponding new versions.

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 88 13:59:00 EDT
From: "CHRISTINE AUSNIT" <ausnitc@esdvax.arpa>
Subject: Availability of TeX for Unix System V

We have a Sperry (Unisys) 5000/80 machine, running Unix System V, Release 3.
(This is GFE, with operating system release level 1R1.0-M.e.)  Is there a copy
of TeX for the System V Release 3? Does it exist on a Sperry machine?  How can
we get a copy of the code, fonts, etc.?  Any information will be appreciated!

Christine Ausnit
e-mail:  ausnitc@esdvax.arpa
s-mail:  SofTech, Inc.
         460 Totten Pond Road
         Waltham, MA  02154-1960
phone:   (617) 890-6900 X272     (or ask for Eric Dana, X309)

------------------------------

Date: 26 May 88 18:30 +0100
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche%vax.runit.unit.uninett@TOR.nta.no>
Subject: Re: \leaders and \hbox question (TeXhax 88 #48)

I did not get quite the output Long described, but I see the problem.
His entry macro makes to boxes with some text and leaders between them.
All this is typeset in paragraph mode, which is the source of the
difficulties.

The solution is to put everything in an hbox:

\def\entry#1#2#3{\hbox to \hsize{%
   \hbox to 3 em {#1\hfill}#2\leaders\hbox{.}\hfill\hbox to 3 em {\hfill #3}}}

- Harald Hanche-Olsen

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 26 May 88 08:35:01 CDT
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:      Re: Standard set of Computer Modern

No, John Sauter's parameter files do not do away with magnification. I have
experimented with his MF stuff (watch for a review in the next TeXMaG), and
found that it creates rather inadequate results for some fonts at larger
sizes. If you have the CM-build stuff, try running cmr36 through TESTFONT.TEX;
you will discover that (1) pen strokes in CM remain narrow into large sizes
where broader strokes would look moch better (this can even be seen in cmr17
which is rather enemic looking in comparison to a font such as 18pt century
schoolbook) (2) interletter spacing does not increase quickly enough at large
sizes. This combined with various design considerations (a magnified 8pt font
looks better to me in a tital than a cmr font at that design size--mostly due
to the heavier strokes and "expanded" appearance). Sauter's files create decent
text-size fonts, but they're not a substitute for magnification.

On a related note, dilligent reading of assorted documentation (notably,
README.TXT in the TEX.CM directory on score.stanford.edu) will reveal that
Knuth had expected people to play around with creating new CM parameter files.
So, let's see some people experiment! How about cmrc10 (roman condensed)? Or
cmssmi (sans serif math italic(!)). There are many possibilities, so
experiment!

-dh

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 May 88 22:53:14 EST
From: FMA00DCR%UNCCVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU
Subject: Labels for TeX

This is a file available from the Bulletin Board of Personal TeX on the
West Coast. It is shareware and it does work. It is a Plain TeX solution
to Mark Steinberger's question on Volume 48 of TeXhax. As noted below
this is the work of Ted Shapin, and I take no credit for any of it. I
noticed that no one had sent it to TeXhax by this time and I thought it
might be of some use to someone.

The first file is LABELS.TEX:
% LABELS.TEX  This can be used to produce mailing labels from a name
% and address file.  Format is 33 labels per 8-1/2 x 11 inch page.
% Ted Shapin, December 18, 1986.

% This output routine does a triple column page with no headers or footers.
% Taken from the TeX book.

\newdimen\fullhsize
\fullhsize=8.5in
\hsize=2.8in

\def\fulline{\hbox to \fullhsize}
\let\lr=L
\def\columnbox{\leftline{\pagebody}}
\newbox\leftcolumn
\newbox\midcolumn
\output={\if L\lr
        \global\setbox\leftcolumn=\columnbox \global\let\lr=M
        \else\if M\lr
        \global\setbox\midcolumn=\columnbox \global\let\lr=R
        \else \tripleformat \global\let\lr=L\fi\fi
        \ifnum\outputpenalty>-20000 \else\dosupereject\fi}
\def\tripleformat{\shipout\vbox{
        \fulline{\box\leftcolumn\hfil\box\midcolumn\hfil\columnbox}}
        \advancepageno}
% This sets up to use the full page with no margins.

\hoffset=-1in \voffset=-1in \vsize=11in \parindent=0pt
\topskip=0pt  \lineskip=0pt

% This is used for each mailing label
\raggedright
\obeylines
\parindent=0pt
\def\L#1{\vbox to 1in{#1\vfil}}

% The input looks like this:

% \L{T. Doe
% The White House
% Washington, D.C.}
% \L{Ted Shapin
% Beckman Instruments, Inc.
% 2500 Harbor Blvd., X-11
% Fullerton, CA. 92634}

% Now read the mailing list
\input fortex

\bye
The file FORTEX.TEX is the input file in the above format.

David C. Royster
Math Department
UNC Charlotte

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 May 88 08:21:05 PST
From: Peter Scott <PJS@grouch.JPL.NASA.GOV>
Subject: Sticky problem

This got bounced by the mailer the first time, so here goes again:

I'm having a problem with glue that's just got me beat.  Consider the following
fragment of TeX code:

\catcode`\@=11
\def\rcases#1{\left.\,\vcenter{\normalbaselines\m@th%
\ialign{$##\hfil$&\quad##\hfil\crcr#1\crcr}}\right\}}
\def\scases#1{\left.\vcenter{\normalbaselines\m@th%
\ialign{$##\hfil$&\quad##\hfil\crcr#1\crcr}}\right\}}
\catcode`\@=12

\setbox4=\hbox to2in{\vbox{$\rcases{\hbox{Send 3 blocks}\cr
\hbox{Pause}\cr}\hbox{Repeat 8 times}$}\hss}
\setbox5=\hbox to2in{\vbox{$\rcases{\hbox{Send 3 blocks}\cr
\hbox{Pause}\cr}\hbox{Repeat 8 times}$}\hss}
\setbox6=\hbox to2in{\vbox{$\scases{\box5\cr}\hbox{Repeat 59 times}$}\hss}

$$\vtop{\hbox{Repeat}\hbox{10 times}}\cases{
\box4\cr
\noalign{\smallskip}
\box6\cr
}$$

\rcases is like \cases, except the brace is on the right.  \scases
is like \rcases, except it omits the \, (thinmuskip), for reasons
which will become apparent.

The result I wanted was:

                   / Send 3 blocks \ Repeat 8 times
                  |  Pause         /
	Repeat   <
	10 times  |  Send 3 blocks \ Repeat 8 times \ Repeat 59 times
                   \ Pause         /                /

                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Actually the text of these two blocks was slightly different in the memo
I wanted to create, but things are complicated enough as it is.

The problem is that the lower block ("Send 3 blocks/Pause") comes out
shifted ever so slightly to the right of the one above.  I thought I had
fixed it by using \scases instead of \rcases, but no, it still sticks in
a bit.  I used \tracingall, and tried to figure out where the thinmuskip
glue that's still in there is getting stretched by the wrong amount, but
I either got lost in the nest of boxes or it looked fine.

HELP!!!!

Peter Scott (pjs%grouch@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov)

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 27 May 88 11:09:38 CDT
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:      CMS change files wanted

Does anybody have any of the following CMS change files:
 GFREAD
 MFT
 PATGEN
 PKTOGF
 PKTOPX
 PKTYPE
 PXTOPK
If you do, please let me know.

-dh

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 27 May 88 17:15:32 GMT
From: WSULIVAN%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject:      underlining

A recent issue ot TeXHaX had a problem regarding the underlining
of text. Below is a simple solution which uses spaces as separators
between words to be underlined. The solution below does not allow
automatic hyphenation, and would not work in obeylines mode. The query
was, I believe, from someone in the legal profession. To do a proper
job on legal documents it would be far better to have a set of macros
professionally made up for the specific need.  That below is for Plain
TeX. Some modification would be necessary for LaTeX.

  Our mailer is unsure of its ASCII:
  ampersand    &     Used to indicate the end of an underlined section: It
                     must be preceded and followed by a space or end of line.
                     Underlined sections may not cross paragraph boundaries.
  backslash    ^
  hash         #
  leftbracket  {
  rightbracket }

^def^underl#1 {^leavevmode^underli #1 }
^def^underli#1 {^ifx&#1^let^next=^relax^unskip
                ^else^let^next=^underli ^ulinebox{#1} ^fi^next}
^def^ulinebox#1{^vtop{^hbox{^strut#1}^hrule}}

^hsize=5in             ^baselineskip=15pt
^underl If you have not included the appropriate spaces in the
        macros, they will not work.
This is another test to see if the macro will work.
This is another test to see if the macro will work.
This is another test to see if the macro will work. &

^underl This is another test to see if the macro will work & .
^underl This is another test to see if the macro will work & .

^underl This is another test to see if the macro will work & .
^bye

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 May 88 10:35:29 PDT
From: Adam H. Lewenberg <adam@math.ucla.edu>
Subject: Putting a QED at the end of a proof in AmsTex.

I want to put a black square at the end of a proof as such:

  ``... and so the result follows from 1+1=2.          &''

where & is really a blacksquare. In particular, I want to have the
& against the right hand margin. I can do this _most_ of the time.
BUT, if the last line is too long I get something like:

  `` ...by the simple reason that I have PhD and you don't.''
  ``&                                                     ''

In other words, if the last line takes up too much of the line
TeX moves the & to the next line and left justifies it. I still want &
to be on the right:

  `` ...by the simple reason that I have PhD and you don't.''
  ``                                                      &''

How can I do this?  Adam H. Lewenberg.

Adam H. Lewenberg
UCLA-Mathnet; 3921 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
UUCP:...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,{hao!cepu}}!ucla-cs!math.ucla.edu!adam
ARPA: adam@math.ucla.edu            BITNET: adam%math.ucla.edu@WISCVM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 May 88 16:35:45 CDT
From: shamim@mcc.com (Shamim Naqvi)
Subject: LaTeX bug

I have found the following incomprehensible LaTeX behavior.
The source file is
% start
\documentstyle[11pt]{article}
\begin{document}

\section{Test}

Figures~\ref{One} and \ref{Two} show examples of the bug.

\begin{figure}
\label{One}
\vspace{.2in}
\caption{One}
\end{figure}

\begin{figure}
\label{Two}
\vspace{.2in}
\caption{Two}
\end{figure}

\end{document}
%end
and LaTeX produces:

		Figure 1: One

		Figure 2: Two

1 Test

Figures 1 and 1 show examples of the bug.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Does somebody know why this is happening?
I am doing a book using LaTeX and this happens a few times (but not
always) in a few of the chapters.
Please respond to "shamim@mcc.com" directly.
I read Texhax occasionally. Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 1988 03:15:59 EST
From: dragon@NSCVAX.PRINCETON.EDU (Richard B. Gilbert)
Subject: SliTeX Font problem

   I have encountered a problem while trying to generate highly magnified
fonts for use with SliTeX.  I am using a VAX running VMS V4.7 and generating
fonts for the DEC LN03 printer.

   The version of NEWFFC that I have appears to write PXL files in stream
format {\em without} a linefeed following the last byte of the last record.
DVI2LN3 chokes on this when the last byte of the last record is the last
byte in the last block of the file.  This occurs when using mag=5.16.  If
the last byte of the last record falls elsewhere in the last block, DVI2LN3
reads the file with no apparent error.

   Suggestions anyone?

------------------------------

Date:		30-MAY-1988 15:12:46 GMT
From:		CHAA006%vaxb.rhbnc.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject:	Pentastich numbering (was: Legal Documents plus ...)

Jon Wells asked about pentastich numbering for legal documents; here is
an example, offered without further comment ..... ** Phil.

\magnification=\magstep0
\vsize = 297 true mm
\hsize = 210 true mm
\voffset = 1.0 true in
\hoffset = 1.0 true in
\advance \hsize by -2\hoffset
\advance \vsize by -2\voffset
\raggedbottom
\parindent = 0.0 em
\parskip = \baselineskip
%
%%% The pentastich environment starts here
%
{\parskip = 0.0 ex \parindent = 2.0 em \vfuzz = \maxdimen
\everypar={\hglue-\parindent\hbox to \hsize
{\vrule height 1 sp depth 0 sp width \hsize}\penalty-10000\hglue\parindent}
\newbox\textbox
\setbox\textbox = \vbox{\advance \hsize by -1.5\hoffset
\def\noindent{\strut \hglue-\parindent}
\def\skipline{\leftline{\strut}}
%
%%% and the text starts here
%
\noindent Do not seek fame.  Do not make plans.  Do not be absorbed by
activities. Do not think that you know.  Be aware of all that is and dwell in
the infinite. Wander where there is no path.  Be all that heaven gave you, but
act as though you have received nothing.  Be empty, that is all.

The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing.  It expects
nothing.  It reflects but does not hold.  Therefore, the perfect man can act
without effort.

The ruler of the South Sea was called Light; the ruler of the North Sea,
Darkness; and the ruler of the Middle Kingdom, Primal Chaos.  From time to
time, Light and Darkness  met one another in the kingdom of Primal Chaos, who
made them welcome.  Light and Darkness wanted to repay his kindness and said,
``All men have seven openings with which they see, hear, eat, and breathe, but
Primal Chaos has none.  Let us try to give him some.''  So every day they
bored one hole, and on the seventh day, Primal Chaos died.

\skipline

{\noindent From {\it Chuang Tsu --- Inner Chapters}, translated by Gia Fu-Feng
and Jane English, published by Wildwood House} \par
}
%
%%% Unwrap the pentastich text here, and apply numbering
%
\newtoks\space
\space={ }
\newbox\linebox
\newcount\n \newcount\nn
\n=1
{
\splittopskip = 0.0 true pt
\vbadness=10000
\loop
	\setbox\linebox = \vsplit\textbox to 0pt
	\setbox\linebox = \vbox{\unvbox\linebox}
	\ifdim\ht\linebox=1.0sp\vskip\parskip
	\else \nn = \n \divide \nn by 5 \multiply \nn by 5
	\ifnum \nn = \n \line{\hfill\the\n\hfill\copy\linebox\hglue0.5in}
	\else \line{\hfill\copy\linebox\hglue0.5in}\fi\advance\n by 1\fi
\ifdim\wd\linebox>0.0pt\repeat
}
\par}
\end

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 May 88 17:43:59 EDT
From: oravax!norman@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu (Norman Ramsey)
Subject: Bug in Arbor text TeX

Our ArborText PubTeX 2.9.3 is not handling \topmark and \firstmark correctly.
I believe it passes the TRIP test, and so I'm passing a demonstration of
the failure on to TeXhax, in the hope that the right person will see it
and can decide whether anything should be done about TRIP.

I enclose a file that uses \mark just as in the example on page 258 of
the TeXbook.  I have set \headline to show the values of \topmark,
\firstmark, and \botmark on each page.  The results should be as shown on
page 258, but for our ArborText TeX they aren't.

Norman Ramsey
norman%oravax.uucp@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

------------ cut here for marktest.tex ---------------
This file tests marks.
See the {\TeX}book, page~258.
\headline={{\tt\string\topmark}$=$\topmark\hfil
{\tt\string\firstmark}$=$\firstmark\hfil
{\tt\string\botmark}$=$\botmark}
First page
\vfill\eject
Second page
\mark{$\alpha$}
\vfill\eject
Third page
\vfill\eject
Fourth page
\mark{$\beta$}
\mark{$\gamma$}
\vfill\eject
Fifth page
\mark{$\delta$}
\vfill\eject
Sixth page
\vfill\eject
\end

------------------------------

Subject: LaTeX + SGML
Date: Tue, 31 May 88 09:01:01 +0100
From: Steve Kille <steve@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

SGML is the "Standard Generalised Markup Language", which is an ISO standard
for document markup.  (I gather the TeX had a significant input on its
design).

My problem is that I am writing a document in LaTeX, and have been asked to
submit it in SGML format.

I gather that there are a number of SGML products which use TeX as a backend
(i.e. you provide an SGML document, which is transformed into TeX, and then
usual TeX mechanisms are used to print it).

However, this is not what I need.  The requirement is for a tool which will
take LaTeX input, and produce SGML output.  Ideally, it would be able to
reverse the tranformation (without loss of information!), but this would be
an extra.    Can anyone help?

thanks

Steve

%%%
%%%     All others: send mail to
%%%           texhax-request@score.stanford.edu
%%%     please send a valid arpanet address!!
%%%
%%%
%%% All submissions to: texhax@score.stanford.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:      directory:  filename:
%%%   [SCORE.STANFORD.EDU]<TEX.TEXHAX>TEXHAXnn.yy
%%%      nn = issue number
%%%      yy = last two digits of current year
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------