[comp.text] Page Marks in Troff

dr2w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Donald J. Ramsay) (06/04/88)

--                                                                    --

   I have been using (di)troff on a ATT 3B2 for several months with
   good results but am frustrated by one minor point. On the top of
   every page there are a pair of page alignment marks,  presumably
   for cutting pages by a photo-typesetter, which are most annoying.

   Does anyone know how to turn these off?

   Donald Ramsay
   <dr2w@andrew.cmu.edu>

morrell@hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael Morrell) (06/05/88)

It depends which macro package you are using.  For example, if you
use the mm macro package, use ".rm )k" after you source the macros.
You should be able to tell which macro prints the cut marks by looking
in the package for a line like: ".tl '--''--'" (or sometimes
".tl '\(rn\(rn''\(rn\(rn'").  Hope this helps,

   Michael Morrell

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (06/05/88)

In article <kWdk3ey00Xo7AJQGlh@andrew.cmu.edu> dr2w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Donald J. Ramsay) writes:
>   I have been using (di)troff on a ATT 3B2 for several months with
>   good results but am frustrated by one minor point. On the top of
>   every page there are a pair of page alignment marks,  presumably
>   for cutting pages by a photo-typesetter, which are most annoying.

The cut marks are from the MM macro package.  They really shouldn't
be there unless you've specified -Taps as the device.  There is a
macro ")k" that makes cut marks, but the last line of /usr/lib/macro/mmt
should get rid of it automatically:

	.if !^G\*(.T^Gaps^G .rm)k

I don't know why you'd get the cut marks otherwise.
--
		Rick Richardson, President, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 834-1378 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (06/06/88)

In article <kWdk3ey00Xo7AJQGlh@andrew.cmu.edu> dr2w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Donald J. Ramsay) writes:

>--                                                                    --
>
>   I have been using (di)troff on a ATT 3B2 for several months with
>   good results but am frustrated by one minor point. On the top of
>   every page there are a pair of page alignment marks,  presumably
>   for cutting pages by a photo-typesetter, which are most annoying.
>
>   Does anyone know how to turn these off?

They are not coming from troff, but from the macro package
you are using.

If you are using mm, the macro to change is: )k
the )k macro outputs the cut marks.

.de)k
.po0
.lt7.5i
.ps10
.vs10p
.ft1
.tl'--''--'
.ft
.vs
.po
.ps
.lt
..

As can be seen, this macro doesnt do anything it doesnt restore,
so you can just delete it and the .)k call will do nothing and
everything will work fine.  If you even want to remove the call
thats ok also.

Other macro packages may differ slightly.
Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235