[comp.text] Help. makedev in DIPRESS

asami@kddlab.kddlabs.JUNET (Tohru Asami) (05/20/88)

As we are using several J-Star workstations in our office, we want
to set up links between these workstations and UNIX machines.

When I tried to install DIPRESS (XEROX Interpress Tools, included
in UNIX 4.3BSD distribution tapes), I found the installation failed
because there was no "makedev" command in the distribution.

If you know how to let "makedev DESC" work, please inform me on
it. Do I have to get a program "makedev" from someone?

Tohru Asami
asami%kddlab.kddlabs.junet@uunet.uu.net

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/22/88)

In article <421@kddlab.kddlabs.JUNET> asami@kddlab.kddlabs.JUNET (Tohru Asami) writes:
>When I tried to install DIPRESS (XEROX Interpress Tools, included
>in UNIX 4.3BSD distribution tapes), I found the installation failed
>because there was no "makedev" command in the distribution.
>
>If you know how to let "makedev DESC" work, please inform me on
>it. Do I have to get a program "makedev" from someone?

"makedev" is the same "makedev" that comes with ditroff.  You just need
to make sure that the executable for makedev is on your path somewhere
before trying to install dipress.  The source is in the "troff" directory
of the ditroff distribution (at least in our version that's where it is).

Disclaimer:  it's been a few years since I did anything with dipress, and
others may have made changes of which I am unaware.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

jaap+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jaap Akkerhuis) (05/22/88)

> As we are using several J-Star workstations in our office, we want
> to set up links between these workstations and UNIX machines.

> When I tried to install DIPRESS (XEROX Interpress Tools, included
> in UNIX 4.3BSD distribution tapes), I found the installation failed
> because there was no "makedev" command in the distribution.

> If you know how to let "makedev DESC" work, please inform me on
> it. Do I have to get a program "makedev" from someone?

> Tohru Asami
> asami%kddlab.kddlabs.junet@uunet.uu.net

First, of course troff or vditroff doesn't had any to do with connecting
machines together.

The makedev program is part of the Documentors Work Bench distribution. You
canget this from AT&T. You will need this anyway, since Dipress works only with
the new troff (ditroff).

 If you don't have a licence for these products, then
anybody giving you the makedev program will be violating it's licence.

        jaap

lee@rocksanne.UUCP (Lee Moore) (05/28/88)

In article <421@kddlab.kddlabs.JUNET>, asami@kddlab.kddlabs.JUNET (Tohru Asami) writes:
> When I tried to install DIPRESS (XEROX Interpress Tools, included
> in UNIX 4.3BSD distribution tapes), I found the installation failed
> because there was no "makedev" command in the distribution.

I am the person at Xerox that is currently maintaining dipress as well
as coordinator of the Xerox Interpress Toolkit.

As Jaap noted, the "makedev" program is part of "Documentor's Workbench".
"Documentor's Workbench" is not on the 4.3BSD Unix distribution.  It must
be bought seperately.  If you have new troff (typesetter independent troff)
then you should also have "makedev".  In this case, perhaps "makedev" is not
in your search path.

As a side note to everybody, there are newer versions of the Interpress Toolkit
available.  The newer versions have many new features including a translator
for the old troff (which emitted Graphics Systems C/A/T codes).  The old
troff comes standard with Berkeley Unix.  The newest version also runs on
PCs and VMS.

To get your copy:

I don't know if it is still there but there was a copy accessable from
the DARPA Internet as:
	[parcvax.xerox.com]~ftp/pub/iptk3.0.tar.Z

You can also order it from Xerox for some nominal fee.  The telephone number
in the USA is:
	408 737 4652
in the UK it is:
	0628 89 3684
From the DARPA Internet, one can also order via electonic mail with the
address:
	osd-pubs.osbunorth@xerox.com

You will probably want to contact Xerox anyway as the Troff emulation fonts
aren't available electronically.

Lee

--
Lee Moore -- Xerox Webster Research Center, birthplace of the XGP
UUCP:		{allegra, decvax, cmcl2, rutgers}!rochester!rocksanne!lee

kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (05/31/88)

A PD replacement for makedev is also available. One was posted a little
while back (to comp.sources.unix I believe). I have written one that
seems to work fine on our Sequent Balance 8000 (4.2bsd). The latest
release of Dynix included ditroff, but nothing to convert the output to
PostScript. We picked up a program called tpscript (new version has
just been posted to comp.sources.unix) and have been working our poor
LaserWriter to death ever since.

My only beef with ditroff is the limitation of ten fonts per device.
Considering tpscript adds second special font to handle the stuff not
found in the other special font, you can only use 8 of the other 12
fonts.

David Nelson
Kuck and Associates, Inc.
Internet:  dnelson@kai.com  or dnelson%kai.com@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
UUCP:      ...!{uunet,ihnp4}!uiucuxc!kailand!dnelson
The opinions expressed here are my own, NOT my employers.

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (06/02/88)

From article <44900008@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, by kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu:

> My only beef with ditroff is the limitation of ten fonts per device.

Ditroff has no font number limit, per se, however, several bugs
exist in AT&T's ditroff that prevent more than 10! ("Bugs?", you chuckle.)
We've fixed those bugs in our distributed version of ditroff, called Eroff.
(Other ditroff vendors may have also; you'll have to check.)
--
Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (06/07/88)

In article <317@elan.UUCP> kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) writes:
>From article <44900008@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, by kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu:
>>
>> My only beef with ditroff is the limitation of ten fonts per device.
>
>Ditroff has no font number limit, per se...

Also remember that ditroff's idea of a font is a little more far-reaching
than most everyone else's definition.  A "font" in ditroff spans all
possible point sizes.  Thus one can ask for .ft R and use it at any
available point size (10, 12, 18, 24, etc.) and it still only counts as
one font.  The different point sizes are all considered to be proportional
to one another.  In other words, 12 point widths are exactly twice 6
point's, and 24 point widths are exactly twice 12 point's.  So "ten fonts"
means (for example):  Roman, Italic, Bold, Helvettica, typewriter, script,
Lucida, TimesRoman, TimesBold, special.  Each font is available at all the
"standard" point sizes.

I'm not saying I like ditroff's approach...just that that's the way it
does it.