[comp.text] Troff to PS on apollo

wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (06/03/88)

Does anyone have experience with porting the Adobe's transcript package
(ditroff, troff to postscript and print ascii, tex to postscript,etc...)
to Apollos?  Thanks in advance.

Bill Wang
Speech & Hearing Center, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405

UUCP  = {ihnp4,seismo,cbosgd}!iuvax!wcwang
CSNET = wcwang@indiana
ARPA  = wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Phone = (812) 335-0714

wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (06/08/88)

wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu:

> Does anyone have experience with porting the Adobe's transcript package
> (ditroff, troff to postscript and print ascii, tex to postscript,etc...)
> to Apollos?  Thanks in advance.
>

> Bill Wang
> Speech & Hearing Center, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
>
> UUCP  = {ihnp4,seismo,cbosgd}!iuvax!wcwang
> CSNET = wcwang@indiana
> ARPA  = wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
> Phone = (812) 335-0714

Here are the abstracts I have received so far about troff to postscript
filter in transcript package from adobe.  My problem was solved by
Andrew Jay Schneider (see message no. 2).  Many thanks to him and
all the others who replied.

From adobe!byron@decwrl.dec.com Fri Jun  3 19:26:36 1988
To: wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: TranScript on Apollo
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 88 15:48:10 PDT

The problem with moving TranScript software  onto an Apollo platform is that
the spooling support needs to have a vanilla UNIX spooling system.
The spooling support converts text files to the PostScript language
automatically, logs errors from the printer, reverses page order if
desired, and other nifty things.

The last time I checked, there was no vanilla (System V or BSD) spooling
system on Apollos -- they have their own spooler.  If they ever offer
compatible spooling, TranScript should be able to work with it.

You don't absolutely have to have the spooling support -- if you are
mostly interested in converting ditroff stuff to PostScript language,
you could use TranScript software to generate the PostScript, then
cat it into the printer.  Or you could set up a "dumb" filter under
the Apollo that cat'ed files for you...

Hope this helps,

Mike Byron                        usenet:   {sun|decwrl}!adobe!byron
Adobe Systems Incorporated        arpa:     adobe!byron@decwrl.dec.com
1585 Charleston Road, PO Box 7900
Mountain View, CA  94309-7900

> comments: my method of dealing with this problem is to use prf inside
> lpr, so domain/ix's spooler system looks like a pure bsd4.2 from outside.
> if anyone wants info about that, please drop me a note.  Bill Wang

From ihnp4!hpfcla!hpda!procase!ajs Fri Jun  3 23:15:54 1988
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 88 16:46:38 pdt
From: ihnp4!hpfcla!hpda!procase!ajs (Andrew Jay Schneider)
To: hpda!hpfcla!ihnp4!iuvax!wcwang
Subject: Troff to PS on Apollo

We've been running Adobe's package for over a year with
both troff and ditroff without many problems.  The one
bigish glitch I remember is the mechanism for making the
font width tables for troff won't work on the Apollo.
If you're interested I could send you my work-around.

Good Luck,
Andy Schneider

> comment: I got the work-around and it worked for me!  Thanks.

From rutgers!riacs!ames!elan!jlo Sat Jun  4 08:45:28 1988
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 88 10:40:51 pdt
From: Jeff Lo <rutgers!riacs!ames!elan!jlo>
To: wcwang@iuvax
Subject: Re: Troff to PS on apollo

I don't have experience with TranScript, but there is another package
that includes ditroff and PostScript filters on the market that supports
Apollos:

Elan Computer Group, Inc. sells a package called EROFF which is the AT&T
Documenter's WorkBench (DWB), including device independent troff,
nroff, tbl, eqn, pic, grap, macros, etc., plus bug fixes and
enhancements including bitmap graphics inclusion, and drivers for
the HP LaserJet line of printers and PostScript printers (an Imagen
driver is also available). Automatic HP Soft Font downloading is
done for the LaserJets. Downloadable Adobe PostScript fonts may also
be used. DWB and the printer drivers are also available separately.
All of this is available on dozens of different UNIX machines and
under MS-DOS.

Our soft copy screen previewer EVIEW is available for Suns under SunView,
many systems under X-Windows V10.R4, and support for X11 is in progress.
All of DWB 2.0 and EROFF's enhancements are supported by EVIEW.

Please write or call for more information.

				Jeff Lo
				Elan Computer Group, Inc.
				410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
				Palo Alto, CA 94306
				(415) 322-2450
				..!{ames,hplabs}!elan!jlo

> comment: I had info about the product and it sounded pretty good but
> I had no experience with it.  There are a couple of other products
> in the market and I remember that there is a review of them on
> recent UNIX review magazine. Bill Wang

From rutgers!uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl Sun Jun  5 04:28:41 1988
To: wcwang@iuvax
Date: Sat Jun  4 11:45:38 1988

I did a port of TranScript to 8086 Xenix a few years ago.  It was only
a mild problem.  We have ported some of our other software to Apollos
with few problems so I would guess that it won't be too much of a problem.
If there is any problem area, I would expect it to be related to the
spooler.

On the other hand, Devps, an TranScript equivalent costs less, works just
fine and is easier to port.  I have ported this as well.  (We sell both
TranScript and Devps).

Hope this helps.

Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

---
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

From rutgers!uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl Mon Jun  6 14:02:25 1988
To: wcwang@iuvax
Subject: transcript
Date: Mon Jun  6 09:57:41 1988

I have run devps with both the BSD and DWB versions of troff with
no problems.  It comes with a whole bunch of font tables and the
makedev program to create the font tables.

I am sending you our catalog that has a page on devps in it.  If you
have any other questions, give me a call.

From adobe!byron@decwrl.dec.com Mon Jun  6 14:42:52 1988
To: Bill Wang <wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 88 12:31:43 PDT

>> Yes, I think the problem was with the font width files and I will talk to
>> apollo tech support about it.  Thanks.

One thing you might try is byte-swapping the font width files so that the
                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
byte order looks like a VAX.  Vendors sometimes take the Berkeley port and
use the font files from the VAX without changing byte order, then port
troff based on these (bogus) files.

Mike Byron                        usenet:   {sun|decwrl}!adobe!byron
Adobe Systems Incorporated        arpa:     adobe!byron@decwrl.dec.com
1585 Charleston Road, PO Box 7900
Mountain View, CA  94309-7900

> comment:  actually the problem was with the font width table and
> you have to put in some blank headers in front of the width info.
> Bill Wang

Hope this helps!