[net.periphs] Cipher Cachetape on 11/23+

kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen ) (11/07/83)

Subject: cipher Cachetape on 11/23+
Newsgroups: net.periphs net.unix-wizards
From: !sb1!sb6!emory!kim

We are running V7 UNIX on a pdp 11/23+ and want to add a magtape to
the system for disk backup and software transfer.  We are considering
a Cipher Cachetape M890 with a DILOG DQ132 contoller.  According to
one salesman allwe need is a TS-11 driver that does 22-bit addressing
to make this work on our system.  Another salesman says that the
M890 is strictly a streaming tape drive and can't be supported under
UNIX (this person is our UNIX supplier).  Anyone out there with
some experience with this drive and UNIX?  The second salesman offered
an EMULEX controller with a DIGIDATA tape drive for the same money
as the Cipher and DILOG.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kim Wallen, Ph.D.
Psychology Department
Emory University
Atlanta, GA 30322