[comp.text] TeX DVI previewer for PS/2

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (07/01/88)

I have written a TeX screen previewer for the IBM PS/2 family. This thing
is based on the driver family by Nelson Beebe et.al of Utah. It  requires
a system with 512K and a VGA or MCGA screen (monochrome or color) or
a clone with a mode 17 480x640xblack and white. I will eventually
put the source code in his FTP-able archive. I could post the binary
in comp.binaries.ibm.pc if anyone is interested. However, to use it
you would need the fonts. They can be gotten by ftp from Utah. The
problem is that to use it well you need lots of fonts, including
at least those at 92, 100, 110, and 121 dots per inch, plus a few others.
Utah does not have 92 and 110. Without those, it will work, but
does a lot of sluggish font substitutions. I have no way to let people
get these, and they are too big to post. This thing is quite fast,
at least on my Model 80, and looks a LOT better then the commercial
EGA ones I foolishly paid big bucks for. Let me know if anyone
is interested in this right now. Eventually (when Beebe gets back
from vacation) it will definately appear.

Doug McDonald

(mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu)

akk2@ur-tut (Atul Kacker) (07/01/88)

In article <47700018@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I have written a TeX screen previewer for the IBM PS/2 family. This thing
>is based on the driver family by Nelson Beebe et.al of Utah. It  requires
>a system with 512K and a VGA or MCGA screen (monochrome or color) or
>a clone with a mode 17 480x640xblack and white. I will eventually
>put the source code in his FTP-able archive. I could post the binary
>in comp.binaries.ibm.pc if anyone is interested.

Yes!!!  I sure would like it posted and I'm sure there are others who would
love to have it.  Could you also mail the binaries to the simtel20 archives
so that people with ftp access can get it from there ?  I forget the mailing
address of the keeper of the msdos files on simtel20.  Perhaps someone out
there remember ?

>However, to use it
>you would need the fonts. They can be gotten by ftp from Utah. The
>problem is that to use it well you need lots of fonts, including
>at least those at 92, 100, 110, and 121 dots per inch, plus a few others.
>Utah does not have 92 and 110. Without those, it will work, but
>does a lot of sluggish font substitutions. I have no way to let people
>get these, and they are too big to post.

What fonts does it use ? .PXL, .GF or .PK ?  Would be nice if it were .PK
fonts, cause the DVI driver I use also uses .PK fonts (Thanks, Beebe!) and
would be nice not to have .PXL fonts also on the already cramped hard disk.

Maybe some kind soul could also have these fonts available for anonymous ftp ?

--
Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/02/88)

>I have written a TeX screen previewer for the IBM PS/2 family.

I have posted a kludged-up distribution of this on our VAX. It can
be obtained by anonymous FTP from b.scs.uiuc.edu, that is, the
part I wrote. This is not really a finished product, so PLEASE don't
repost it. I will remove it in about 10 days.

Doug McDonald

(mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu)