[comp.text] Kanji fonts

d85-per@nada.kth.se (Per Hammarlund) (07/09/88)

Hello,

Has anyone any experience with kanji fonts on a postscript laser? Has
anybody hacked together such fonts?

Any references to this subject is greatly appreciated!

	/Per Hammarlund, d85-per@nada.kth.se,
	Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

aaron@proxftl.UUCP (07/12/88)

> Has anyone any experience with kanji fonts on a postscript laser? Has
> anybody hacked together such fonts?

I know that there exists something out there that's LIKE a postscript kanji
font; it stores the strokes as shapes, and can print them out on a dot matrix
printer in sizes up to 256x256bits.. Since it stores the strokes as strokes
(i.e. it's not bitmapped), it could be reasonably converted. However, this
font looks pretty horrendous. The Japanese government created a 16x16 map of
around 6000 characters (called the JIS set; I believe it stands for Japanese
Industrial Standard). This set is public domain, and contains an extensive
punctuation set, all ASCII characters, Hiragana, Katakana, Greek, Cyrillic,
and some thousands of kanji. It's legible, and here we're using this font on
a QMS laser printer (going into bitmap mode, not using any special graphics
functions).

So yes, it will _work_ on any printer where bitmapping can be requested, but
it doesn't look so hot. If someone were to create a postscript set, they
would have to create a library of perhaps a hundred different types of
strokes (sure it's not more than 256, so it ought to fit into a byte), and
then store the start and finish points, as well as the sizes, of these
strokes. I looked into it, 'cause I wanted to create such a font, but it's
really not relevant to what I'm working on now, and I discovered it would
take a considerably long time.

Still, if anyone else knows something I don't about postscript kanji (or any
good-looking laser kanji at all), I'd like to hear about it.
--
Aaron           | Proximity Tech. |----------------------------------------|
   Charles      | 3511 NE 22 Ave. | Speaking only for myself, o' course... |

usenet@dandelion.CI.COM (News Administrator) (07/14/88)

set of stroked fonts that look nice when drawn on a Postscript laser
printer.
harvard!ci-dandelion.CI.COM!jim			jim hurt
From: jim@blossom.ci.com (Jim Hurt)

greg@proxftl.UUCP (Gregory N. Hullender) (07/15/88)

In article <4402@dandelion.CI.COM>, usenet@dandelion.CI.COM (News Administrator) writes:
that the Hershey fonts contain a set of stroke-definitions for Kanji.

That's very nice if it's true.  There are 6,802 characters in the JIS set,
(3,418 in the level-1 subset).  Do you have a set of fonts with this many
Japanese characters?  What I'm afraid is that it just has the 83 Hiragana
and the 86 Katakana characters.

Anyway, I'm very interested.
--
		Greg Hullender  uflorida!novavax!proxftl!greg
		3511 NE 22nd Ave / Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308

	    My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer.