[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V88 #65

TeXhax@Score.Stanford.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (07/20/88)

TeXhax Digest   Tuesday, July 19, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 65

Moderator: Malcolm Brown

Today's Topics:

                          Page # of # pages
                          Mirror-image fonts
                     Re: Page numbering in LaTeX
                       contents of TUGboat 9#2
                           Index for TeXhax
               Alternate hyphenation patterns for ctex
                        terminal output and MF
                    Rest of line as macro argument
                     DVI3820 & METAFONT questions
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #63
                      TeX for the TI Explorer LX
           \Longleftarrow and \Longrightarrow at 12pt fails
                  TeX files on Boston bulletin board
                         Re: LaTeX footnotes
                            verbatim mode
                Need DVI2PS V2.0 or newer for VAX/VMS
    Beginners question: How to change textwidth within a document
                         Re: bib stuff: keys
                 Preventing Line Break and Line Feed
                Wanted: DVI driver for Imagewriter II
                            LaTeX question
          Wanted: program to remove TeX macros from files...
                     CDVI previewer, TeX changes
                     Re: TeX for VAX/VMS ... LN01

Date: 12 Jul 88 03:24:00 EDT
From: "DARREN STALDER" <dstalder@gmuvax.gmu.edu>
Subject: Page # of # pages

From what I know of TeX, I don't think it is possible to put a header
of Page # of # Pages where the second # is the total number of pages
in less than two passes.  But I might be wrong, so I am throwing this
out to the TeXHaX readership.

                  Torin/Darren Stalder/Wolf
Blessed         Internet: dstalder@gmuvax2.gmu.edu
  Be!           Bitnet:   dstalder@gmuvax
                ATTnet:   1-703-352-8124
      Hail      uucp:     multiverse!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!dstalder
        Eris!   Snail:    PO Box 405/Fairfax, VA 22030/USA
DISCLAIMER: I have enough problems getting credit what I do do for
            work, much less this stuff.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 88 21:58:13 +0200
From: unido!mond.mathematik.uni-Bremen.de!bengt@uunet.UU.NET (Bengt Martensson)
Subject: Mirror-image fonts

> Does anyone happen to have fonts for the English alphabet in *reverse*--
> that is, mirror image?

I actually did this, for the songbook for the party after my
PhD-defense...  I just inserted a minus-sign (or did I remove it?) in
the PostScript file generated... (It sure was a weird song book.)

Seriously speaking, if you are using PostScript as you output medium,
this is easy.  PostScript has a current transformation matrix, CTM.
By manipulating this, all affine transformations of the image can be
done.  E.g. different magnifications, not necessarily same in x- and
y-direction, slanting, etc...  Works just the same for PostScript
fonts as for the downloaded bit pattern fonts.  In particular, by just
flipping the x-axis (that's my minus-sign), everything comes out
mirror image.  I am almost (but not quite...) sure that you can
achieve this just by putting the line

-1 1 scale

at the right place in the PostScript file.  Ask your local PostScript
guru.  The prolog of dvi2ps is well commented.

This all assumes that you are satisfied with having your entire
document in reverse, i.e. can use a pair of sissors and some glue.  If
not, it can still be done, but is more complicated.

Bengt Martensson					+49 421 218-2952
Institut fur Dynamische Systeme, Universitat Bremen 	+49 421 171713 (home)
Postfach 330 440, D-2800 Bremen 33    bengt@mond.mathematik.uni-Bremen.DE  OR
F.R.G.	    			      unido!ubrinf!mond!bengt     	   OR
				      unido!ubrinf!mond!bengt@uunet.UU.NET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 88 19:31:41 ECT
From: HANCHE%NORUNIT.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Page numbering in LaTeX

In TeXhax #60, mike@ucdhep.bitnet asks for a way to get page numbers
appear both in the header and footer.

You will need to create your own page style.  Any silly pagestyle is
best defined in a style file, since the '@' character needs to be a
letter while you define a new page style.  The style file should contain
a definition of the form

\def\ps@silly{ ... }

whereupon you can say things like \pagestyle{silly}.  The body of the
\ps@silly macro should define headers and footers for even and odd
pages, respectively.  This is explained quite well in the file
latex.tex.  Search for the string "ps@" to learn the details.  I suggest
you copy the definition of \ps@plain to your style file and modify it.

Producing chapter relative page numbers should be doable in several
ways.  Perhaps the easiest would be to make a separate counter which is
initialized by a new chapter and is incremented by the \@oddfoot and
\@evenfoot routines.  This should work as long as If you don't need
the chapter relative page numbers for cross referencing purposes.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen

------------------------------

Date: Tue 12 Jul 88 17:17:44-EDT
From: b beeton <BNB@SEED.AMS.COM>
Subject: contents of TUGboat 9#2

This issue is now at the printer, and should be mailed in time to be
in members' hands before the Montreal meeting.

Table of contents for TUGboat 9#2, August 1988

General Delivery
  117   Bart Childs             From the President
  117   Ray Goucher             Los Alamos sets new membership record
  117                           Donald Knuth awarded Franklin Medal
  118   Elizabeth Barnhart      TeX in the publishing environment: A survey
                                        of production/commercial users
  121   Barbara Beeton          Editorial comments

Software
  121   Barbara Beeton          New version(s) of TeX and Metafont
  122   Bart Childs             64-bit TeX
  123   Klaus Lichtenwalder     Porting TeX to C
  124   David Kennedy           TeX adapted to CWEB

Fonts
  125   Glenn Vanderburg        Some useful variations of standard fonts
  126   Georgia K.M. Tobin      Designing for low-res devices
  129   Bart Childs             TeX fonts and suggested magnifications
  131   Dominik Wujastyk        The many faces of TeX: A survey of
                                        digital METAfonts
  152   Donald E. Knuth         A Punk Meta-Font

Output Devices
  169   Don Hosek               TeX output devices (with charts)
  178   Shane Dunne             Why TeX should NOT output PostScript --
                                        yet: Addendum
  178   Warren Wolfe            ASCII Preview with vuTeX
  151   Index to sample output from various devices

Site Reports
 Cray
  181   Bart Childs             TeX on the Cray
 Data General
  181   Bart Childs             Data General site report
 Macintosh
  181   Barry Smith             Macintosh site report

Warnings & Limitations
  182   Barbara Beeton  Controlling CTL-M; Ruling the depths

Macros
  183   Peter Breitenlohner     German TeX, a next step
  186   Michael J. Wichura      Some problems with the INRSTeX table making
                                        macros
  189   A. J. Van Haagen        Box plots and scatter plots with TeX macros
  193   Michael J. Wichura      PiCTeX: Macros for drawing PiCtures

LaTeX
  198   Jackie Damrau           The LaTeX user's column
  200   Ken Yap                 Contents of LaTeX style collection
                                        as of 19th June 1988
  203   Stephan v. Bechtolsheim  A note on processing parts with LaTeX
  204   Kent McPherson          Page layout in LaTeX: Erratum

News & Announcements
  205	Calendar
  206	Bernard Gaulle		GUTenberg meeting report

Late-Breaking News
  207	Knuth Scholarship winner

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 13 Jul 88 14:02 EST
From: <COLMENAR%FORDMURH.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  Index for TeXhax

Is it possible to obtain an index listing of the TeXhax digests?
If so, from where?

Many thanks,

colmenar@fordmurh
colmenar@fordmulc

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 88 17:46:09 +0300
From: Antti Louko <alo%fingate.bitnet@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Alternate hyphenation patterns for ctex

I have modified TeX to handle multiple hyphenation languages. This is
done with integer parameter \patternsnum, which selects the pattern
set currently used. The TeX version I modified is the web-to-c
version. It should work with most UNIX-machines.

For example:

% tex
This is TeX, C Version 2.9 (preloaded format=plain 88.7.5)
**\relax

*\patternsnum=0    % Well, this is default (English)

*\showhyphens{hyphenation}

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 0
[] \tenrm hy-phen-ation

*\showhyphens{tavutus}    % tavutus = hyphenation in Finnish

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 0
[] \tenrm tavu-tus

*\patternsnum=1    % Finnish

*\showhyphens{hyphenation}

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 0
[] \tenrm hyp-he-na-tion

*\showhyphens{tavutus}

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 0
[] \tenrm ta-vu-tus

*\bye
(see the transcript file for additional information)
No pages of output.
Transcript written on texput.log.
%

You can see how the hyphenation changes. \patternsnum is used also
with the \patterns primitive, when TeX reads all the patterns. This is
our /usr/lib/tex/macros/hyphen.tex file:

\patternsnum=0
\input enghyphen  % English hyphenation patterns (the original hyphen.tex)
\patternsnum=1
\input fh         % Finnish hyphenation patterns
\patternsnum=0    % Reset to the default

If \patternsnum <> 0 accents, hyphenation algorithm sees accented
characters as pairs: \"a shows as ~~?a etc. This is useful with
many languages.

\patternsnum can be used in an environment where many languages are needed in
the same document. \patternsnum affects when the whole paragraph is
being hyphenated; that means that you should change change
\patternsnum immediately after a \par.

I sent diffs to ctex.ch file with this. If moderator wants to place it
in a public place, please do so. It could be a good idea to send them
to UNIX-TeX distributor, too.

%%% Antti's complete submission is available for FTPing via Internet on
%%% the machine "score.stanford.edu".  It is located on Score under the
%%% TOPS20 directory "<TEX.TEXHAX>" and is stored under the filename
%%% "MULTIHYPH.TXH".  I've also forwarded a copy to TAMVM1 for BITNET
%%% access via the list server mechanism.   Malcolm

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 alo@santra.UUCP (mcvax!santra!alo)       Antti Louko
 alo@santra.hut.fi                        Helsinki University of Technology
 alo@fingate.bitnet                       Computing Centre
 alo%fingate.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       SF-02150, Espoo
                                          FINLAND
                                          tel. +358 0 4512624

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 13 Jul 88 14:44:42 CDT
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      terminal output and MF

How can I get MF to output the contents of a numerical variable without
putting it on a new line as show does? I'd like to be able to output
certain useful variables during the course of a MF run but include them
in with the character number output.

-dh

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 13 Jul 88 16:44:44 EDT
From: Steve Buyske <ST401266%BROWNVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      Rest of line as macro argument

I pass on the following query of a friend:

  Here's one for a real (plain) TeXpert: how do you define a macro that
takes everything else in its line as an argument? I've tried some variations
on \def\line#1<return>{...} but haven't been able to make it work.  Perhaps
one needs category code tricks.  (It's definitely possible--for example,
the bibliography stuff in AMS-TeX works this way.)

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 13 Jul 1988 21:48 EDT
From: Brian Holmes <BHOLMES%WAYNEST1.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      DVI3820 & METAFONT questions

Is there a version on DVI3820 for CMS TeX that supports \font scaleing?
You can magnify the entire page, but I cannot seem to be able to scale
exhisting fonts at different point sizes.
Where can I get ahold of documentation for METAFONT?  We have the entire
tape of CMS TeX.  Is there a DOC file that explains how to use METAFONT
on the tape or do I need to look elsewhere?

*    Brian Holmes                  \    /                ___      *
*    Wayne State University         \/\/su              |   |     *
*    Detroit Michigan                               ____|   |____ *
*                                                   |   |   |   | *
*  BITNET   : BHOLMES@WAYNEST1                      |   |   |   | *
*  INTERNET : Brian_Holmes%WU@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU       |   |   |   | *
*  UUCP     : {UMIX|ITIVAX}!WAYNE-MTS!BRIAN_HOLMES  ============= *

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 88 09:08:37 EDT
From: "Mary E. McClure" <MARYE%BROWNVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #63

I'm interested in the software for NSF proposals mentioned in a recent
TeXhax digest.

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 12 Jul 88 17:32:43 CST
From: Manuel Valenzuela <MVALENZ3%UA1VM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      TeX for the TI Explorer LX

    Just a quick question: does anybody know if TeX is available for
the TI Explorer LX?

    Manuel Valenzuela   <mvalenz3@ua1vm.bitnet>

------------------------------

Subject: \Longleftarrow and \Longrightarrow at 12pt fails
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 88 11:13:29 -0700
From: kelem@aerospace.aero.org

There is a problem with \Longleftarrow and \Longrightarrow at 12pt in TeX
and LaTeX, not in the metafont descriptions of \Leftarrow and \Rightarrow
as previously reported.  These characters are defined as
\def\Longleftarrow{\Leftarrow\joinrel\Relbar}
\def\Longrightarrow{\Relbar\joinrel\Rightarrow}
They look fine at 10pt, but at 12pt the = (\Relbar) looks like it's too low
by about half the thickness of the lines in the =.  This ``stairstep'' in
the character looks pretty bad.

Steve Kelem
kelem@aerospace.aero.org
...!sdcrdcf!aero!kelem
...!trwrb!aero!kelem

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 88 02:43:35 EDT
From: dow@wjh12.harvard.edu (Dominik Wujastyk)
Subject: TeX files on Boston bulletin board

I have gradually been building up a TeX files area on the Channel 1 bulletin
board in Cambridge MA.  The number of the BBS is (617) 354 8873, and it
supports modems up to 9600 baud, I think.

The TeX files area is no. 29, and it already contains a reasonable amount,
including executables for Common TeX 2.1 (with Plain fmt), Beebe's drivers
DVIJEP, DVIALW and DVIIMP, with a complete set of CM fonts at 300 dpi, in
5 magsteps.  I recently uploaded the C source code for Common TeX 2.9
(cmntex29.arc) and the full C source of Beebe's DVI driver family
(beeb210a.arc and beeb210b.arc), the latest version of LaTeX (as of about
June 1988), DVIEW, DVIVGA (VGA previewer), HP2TEX, PCWRITEX (PC-Write to
TeX converter).  There is much else besides.

Several of these files are very large, and it would take ages to download
them.  But if you "join" Channel 1 ($25 or so) you can have disks sent to
you with whatever you want on them, so the problem is soluble for a small
fee.

Now I am leaving Cambridge, and returning to the UK.  But the sysop of
Channel 1, Brian Miller, is pleased with the TeX stuff, and happy to keep
it up.  But of course I am not about to send stuff over from England.  My
time as a supplier for Channel 1 is over.

If anyone would like to contribute DOS executables of TeX related programs,
sources, macros, or anything, to Channel 1, please feel free.  And likewise,
there is much available there for people without FTP access.

Enjoy.

Dominik Wujastyk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 88 10:24:48 EDT
From: Ram-Ashwin@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram)
Subject: Re: LaTeX footnotes

> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 88 09:06:54 EDT
> From: HOOVER <anita@vax1.acs.udel.edu>
>
> I am trying to change the placement of footnotes when there is not enough
> text to fill to the bottom of a page. In the example below I force the
> figure to start at the top of the next page, there is now white space that
> occurs on the first page.  I would like LaTeX to always flush footnotes to
> the bottom of the page, instead of putting the footnote right after the text.

The AAAI conference style file, available from the Rochester archives, has
the following code in it:

%  Force footnotes to bottom of page, regardless of ragged bottom.
\def\@makecol{\ifvoid\footins \setbox\@outputbox\box\@cclv
   \else\setbox\@outputbox
     \vbox to\@colht{\unvbox\@cclv\vfill\relax
          \vskip\skip\footins\footnoterule\unvbox\footins}\fi
     \xdef\@freelist{\@freelist\@midlist}\gdef\@midlist{}\@combinefloats
     \setbox\@outputbox\vbox to\@colht{\boxmaxdepth\maxdepth
        \@texttop\unvbox\@outputbox \@textbottom}\global\maxdepth\@maxdepth}

Hope this helps.

-- Ashwin Ram --

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 88 16:31:44 GMT
From: Marion Neubauer <$90%DHDURZ1.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      verbatim mode

I need an environment which does the same things that verbatim does,
but it should accept one command: "\input{...}".
I have a lot of small programs which aren't complete now, so for
the documentation they should be included from separate files
with the input command. The programs themselves have {, }, @ and so on
and I wish to print them in typewriter. It isn't possible to
write "\begin{verbatim}" and "\end{verbatim}" in each separate
file, I want to write it like this:

..
\begin{verbatim}
\input{prog1}
\end{verbatim}
..
\begin{verbatim}
\input{prog2}
\input{prog3}
\end{verbatim}

If I use the ALLTT STY the input command is accepted, but all
other special characters in my programs are also treated as
TeX commands.

Any help would be appreciated
Marion Neubauer
(Please send to RZ90 at DHDURZ1 if your computer hates the $ sign.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 JUL 88 10:37:48 PDT
From: "Micro Mauler"  <MICRO2.SCHWER@CRVAX.SRI.COM>
Subject: Need DVI2PS V2.0 or newer for VAX/VMS

     If someone has DVI2PS, V2.0 or newer, operational on a
VAX/VMS and is will to share it, would you please contact me?
     Thanks,   Len Schwer    Micro2.Schwer@crvax.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: 14 JUL 88 10:57-
From: RALPH%UHHEPG.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Beginners question: How to change textwidth within a document

Thanks for all the answers to my last question, including Dr. Lamports. This,
again, is a simple question; so LL should not read it EXCEPT IF ALL OTHER
WIZARDS HAVE GIVEN UP ON IT. I am sorry to post such an easy question, but the
next LaTeX wizard is 2500 miles west, and the people at Talaris (who sold us
TeX) shouldn't even be allowed to sell pencils.

How do I change \textwidth within a (long) document? Reason: The text has some
chapters (for example the "Executive Summary") with a lot of marginal notes, so
I increased \marginparwidth and decreased \textwidth by 80 points each; most
other chapters have no marginal notes, but a lot of figures, so the margin
shouldn't be wasted (both to save paper, and because a two-inch margin looks
ugly). Unfortunately, \textwidth can only be changed in the preamble; that
means: changing either \textwidth or \columnwidth within the document just
doesn't have any effect. The LaTeX book explicitly states that \textwidth
should not be changed in the text.

So, how do I do it ? What parameter do I have to change to make the text
narrower or wider ?? I promise to do the change only at page breaks (using
\clearpage before the change). My favourite solution would be something like a
"narrow with marginnotes" pagestyle, so I could use \pagestyle$narrow and
\pagestyle$plain commands to switch back and forth. I tried defining a
\ps@narrow with the \addtolength commands for \textwidth and \marginparwidth in
it, but that doesn't have any effect, as explained above.

And now a question about figures and other floating bodies. We (that is: my
boss) would like floats to be seperated from the rest of the text by a rule
(like the one which usually seperates footnotes from the text, except extending
all the way across the page). Unfortunately, I have no idea how to accomplish
that. It seems to be pretty straightforward, if one knows where the placing of
floats is done.

Any help appreciated.

Ralph Becker-Szendy                            RALPH@UHHEPG.PHYS.HAWAII.EDU
University of Hawaii / High Energy Physics Group        RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET
Watanabe Hall #203, 2505 Correa Road, Honolulu, HI 96822      (808)948-7391
"Hawaii - it's not just for tourists. People actually live and work there."

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 14 Jul 88 13:41:25 CDT
From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.edu>
Subject:  Re: bib stuff: keys

I always use "author:word" where "author" is *always* the last name of
the paper's first author (even if there are multiple authors) and
"word" is the first significant word in the title (in other words,
skipping articles).  There are two goals to keep in mind when inventing
an algorithm for creating keys: (1) it needs to be good enough to avoid
duplicates and (2) the simpler the better.  Remember that the key is
only a means of identifying the entry:  it doesn't really need to have
all the authors names or half the title.

Example:  "The Logic of Aliasing" by Robert Cartwright and Derek Oppen,
I use the bibtex key "cartwright:logic".

It may not be optimal, but it has worked (so far) for me.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 14 Jul 88 21:41 CDT
From: <MURALI%TAMLSR.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  Preventing Line Break and Line Feed

If someone on the TeX list could help me with this I will really appreciate it.
I am obviously missing something in the following macro.  The objectives of this
macro are to keep track of figure numbers in my thesis, print the figure number
in the text, do a pageinsert or vskip if needed, and insert the figure title
and its page number into the table of contents file.  Everything works fine,
EXCEPT the macro does a line feed after printing the figure number in the
text.  I have tried using \penalty and \nobreak wherever possible but I still
get a blank line after the figure number.  In the example shown below, the
macro inserts a blank line between the figure number and " shows the ..."
I know this is trivial, but could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Example of Usage:
 Figure \figure{y}{designfig}{System Design}{p}{6.0truein} shows the ...

\def\figure#1#2#3#4#5{
    \global\advance\figurecount by 1 \the\figurecount
    \global\expandafter\xdef\csname#2\endcsname{\the\figurecount}
    \if #4p \pageinsert
            \vskip #5
            \if #1y {\centerline{{FIGUREcc\the\figurecount.} #3.}}\fi
            \write\figtoc{\noexpand\listfigure{#3}{\the\pageno}}
            \endinsert
    \else   \vskip #5
            \if #1y {\centerline{{FIGUREcc\the\figurecount.} #3.}}\fi
    \fi
    }

Thank you very much.                     Murali Krishnamurthi (MURALI@TAMLSR)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 02:22:17 EDT
From: tmb@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel)
Subject: Wanted: DVI driver for Imagewriter II

I am looking for DVI drivers for a plain line printer (something like
that was posted at one point), and for the Apple Imagewriter II. If
you have such a thing or can point me at someone who does, please send
me mail (I am not yet on the texhax mailing list, so please respond
to me personally).

Is there an ftp-accessible directory where public-domain DVI drivers and
the latest TeX sources/macro packages are kept?

					Thanks, Thomas.
					tmb@wheaties.ai.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 88 11:24:47 +0300
From: Steve Manch <MAMANCH%WEIZMANN.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: LaTeX question

I have encountered the following problem with Latex:
in using many figures within an article,
some of the figures will
appear at the end of the article, after the
references.  Using \clearpage after the third
figure solved the problem, however, it left a lot
of blank space which was not wanted.  Does anyone
have a solution to minimize or eliminate this
problem, or a variation of \clearpage which would
not leave extra blank space?  Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 05:02:15 EDT
From: tmb@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel)
Subject: Wanted: program to remove TeX macros from files...

I want a program that turns tex formatted files into plain text files,
equivalent to UN*X deroff. If you have such a program, please let me
know (I am not yet on the list, so please mail to me personally).

					Thanks, Thomas.
					tmb@wheaties.ai.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 88 13:25:33 GMT
From: Wayne Sullivan <WSULIVAN%IRLEARN.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      CDVI previewer, TeX changes

There is now a commercial version of my previewer CDVI: then free version
is still available but not over the network. Check the bulletin boards or
look for an ad in the Notices of the AMS. If I am advised of a bulletin
board which will handle it, I shall have a copy of a floppy disk with the
available versions sent to it.

The original purpose of this note was to inquire whether it is possible to
get a file containing the changes made to TeX since 2.0. I have seen 2.10
mentioned, but is there more? Some of the changes have appeared in TeXHaX,
but it would be convenient to have the lot in one file. I cannot FTP.
I have looked in the TAMVM1 LISTSERV TeX directory, but I did not spot
what I am looking for. It may be years before our Computer Centre can afford
a new TeX tape.                  Thanks,          Wayne   Sullivan

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 88 10:38:23 CDT
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      Re: TeX for VAX/VMS ... LN01

TeX for VAX/VMS is available from three sources: Stanford (PD, $100)
Northlake Software (formerly Kellerman & Smith; Commercial, $200) and
Arbortext (Commercial, I've lost the price, but I think it's around
$200. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

There was a VMS LN01 driver available from the New Jersey Institute of
Technology, but I think that it may no longer be available.

Here are addresses:

Arbortext, Inc.
 Contact: Bruce Baker
 Postal Address: 535 W. William Street
                 Suite 300
                 Ann Arbor, MI 48103
 Internet: bwb@arbortext.com
 Phone: (313) 996-3566

New Jersey Institute of Technology
 Contact: Bill Cheswick
 Postal Address: Computer Services
                 New Jersey Institute of Technology
                 Newark, NJ 07102
 Phone: (201) 596-2900
 Internet: Cheswick@Jvnca.Csc.Org
 Uucp: bellcore!manhat!njitcs!bc

Northlake Software
 Contact: David Kellerman
 Phone: (503) 228-3383

Stanford VMS distribution tape
 Contact: Maria Code
 Postal Address: Data Processing Services
                 1371 Sydney Drive
                 Sunnyvale CA 94087

         Don Hosek <DHOSEK@YMIR.BITNET>

%%%
%%%     All others: send mail to
%%%           texhax-request@score.stanford.edu
%%%     please send a valid arpanet address!!
%%%
%%%
%%% All submissions to: texhax@score.stanford.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:      directory:  filename:
%%%   [SCORE.STANFORD.EDU]<TEX.TEXHAX>TEXHAXnn.yy
%%%      nn = issue number
%%%      yy = last two digits of current year
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------