[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V88 #66

TeXhax@Score.Stanford.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (07/23/88)

TeXhax Digest   Friday, July 22, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 66

Moderator: Malcolm Brown

Today's Topics:

                              floppy TeX
                        multiple line indents
                     LaTeX question (^textheight)
                           LaTeX's \oval's
               Neat use of \left and \right delimiters
                               Endnotes
                         Question on dvi2ln3
                        Nested braces in LaTeX
                     BibTex and Preview requests
                Bug in some versions of dvi2ps/dvips?
                 Re: How to become a technical writer
                           xdvi under X11?
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #60
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #61
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #62
                      Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #63
                           Fig2tex bug fix
             DVI post processor for VAX/VMS - HPlaserjet
                          TEX-TO-C, WEB-TO-C

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 08:57:24 PDT
From: Laura_Halliday@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: floppy TeX

it takes a bit of fiddling, but pcTeX on floppies is possible.
you can't put pcTeX and a previewer and all the support files on
one disc, but you can put things on two floppies - a TeX disc and
a previewer disc. you *might* be able to swing it with 360k
floppies, but you would have to throw away some fonts to shoehorn
everything in. with 720k floppies, proceed like this:

disc 1:    tex.exe       226k (pcTeX)
             *.tfm   ca. 180k (in a suitably named directory)
         plain.tex   ca.  44k (in another directory)
            total:   ca. 450k

disc 2: dvi2scr.exe  ca.  66k (maxview - we have a site licence)
              *.pk   ca. 330k (@180dpi - you only need one set)
             total:  ca. 396k

note that TeX only needs the tfm files and any format files you
specify. there is room for lplain.tex and a selection of laTeX
style files.

if your version of TeX or your previewer has references to the c:
drive wired in, use the pc-dos assign and subst commands to point
the references to your discs. set up .bat files to reduce head-
aches.

have fun. but don't hold your breath waiting for results, as
floppies are a lot slower than hard discs, and TeX does a *lot*
of disc access.

laura halliday           laura_halliday%mtsg.ubc.ca@um.cc.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 88 11:05:17 CDT
From:      "George A Christensen" <GA.GAC%ISUMVS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: multiple line indents

% If anyone else wishes to indent multiple lines in captions as does
% Ge'rald Masini in issue 63, I offer the following adaption of the
% caption macros (use \isucaption {...} or rename it)
% George Christensen GAGAC@ISUMVS.BITNET

\def\isucaption{\refstepcounter\@captype
  \@dblarg{\@isucaption\@captype}}

\newlength\captionwidth \captionwidth=4.65 true in

\long\def\@isucaption#1[#2]#3{
  \addcontentsline {\csname ext@#1\endcsname}{#1}
  {\protect\numberline{\csname fnum@#1\endcsname}{\ignorespaces #2}}
     \par
  \begingroup
    \@parboxrestore
    \setbox\@tempboxa\hbox{#3}
    \ifdim \wd\@tempboxa >\captionwidth
      \begingroup
        \@makecaption{\csname fnum@#1\endcsname}
        {\ignorespaces{\protect\parbox[t]{\captionwidth}{#3}}}%
      \endgroup
     \else
        \begingroup
           \@makecaption{\csname fnum@#1\endcsname}
           {\ignorespaces #3}
        \endgroup
     \fi
    \par\vspace{1.7ex}
  \endgroup}

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 88 18:20:58 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: LaTeX question (^textheight)

This is a LaTeX question:

I want to make a variant of LETTER.STY also printing the letterhead.
The letterhead has to be higher up on the first page, but I want the
bottom lines flushing on the "titlepage" and on the following pages.
Therefore ^textheight has to be different on the first and on the
following pages.
But ^textheight seems to be a VERY GLOBAL variable. It always uses
the first assigned value and changing its value in a ^pagestyle
definition (using ps@newstyle) does not produce the desired
results. I know that usually one does not want to fiddle with
^textheight within a document, but on the other hand I do not think
my wishes are completely stupid.

ERICH NEUWIRTH
A4422DAB  at  AWIUNI11   in   BITNET
Intitute for Statistics and Computer Science
University of Vienna
Universitaetsstr. 5/9
A-1010 VIENNA, Austria

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 11:45 EDT
From: DAVIS%blue.sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: LaTeX's \oval's

	Has anyone hacked together a more accurate version of Leslie
	Lamport's wondrous \oval ? I'm a little distressed with the
	visual inaccuaracy of its results on our system when \thinlines
	is in effect. I can improve matters very slightly by using
	\thicklines, but given TeX's habit of working in sp's, can't
	we get the junctions between the elements of the oval to line up
	a little better ?

	Some further bits:

	1) Sebastian Rahtz's rotate and turn environments

	   Sebastian wasn't too upfront or helpful about what to do
	   if his wonderful PostScript \specials blow up on their
	   way through dvi2ps. One possible answer is that you need to
	   take out the /setspecial, /beginspecial and /endspecial
	   commands inserted by dvi2ps. Our version of dvi2ps came
	   from SR anyway, and it had these removed (by Piet V.O) to
	   facilitate psfig. I hacked around and added a -g option
	   which specifically leaves these out. This sadly screws up
	   psfile inclusion, but maybe we'll work it out one day...

	2) Biggggg TeX

	   Has anyone got a WEB .ch file for a gross TeX ? I need to
	   print a document with huge xrefs and our version is too small
	   to handle them. I tried to figure out what to do, but its not
	   obvious, and a file together with some hints on using it
	   would be very much appreciated. What's that ? Oh, yes, Sun
	   threes under SUNOS3.4 (soon-to-be 4.0 - it came today!).

	3) TeX -> ascii

	   Has anyone got something that will do *exactly* what troff
	   allows unix man pages to be ? That is - print it or view it
	   formatted ? I currently have a large bunch of elisp regexps
	   that I use to go from LaTeX to a VMS HELP format, but its
	   not perfect (particularly with verbatim stuff), and it would be
	   nice to start with an existing flat-file viewer, even if this
	   doesn't have HELP's structured browsing facilities. Please
	   don't mention Emacs Info - I love it, but I need to be able
	   view inside and outside of my favourite session manager. I
	   have heard of DVI->ASCII previewers: what do they do and
	   how good are they ?

	regards to the net,

	Paul Davis
	Schlumberger Cambridge Research
	Cambridge, UK

	UK 223 325 282

	davis%blue@sdr.slb.com

	or maybe: davis%blue%sdr.slb.com@relay.cs.net if your mailer's fussy

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jul 88 10:22 -0500
From: Michael Doob <mdoob%ccu.umanitoba.ca@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Neat use of \left and \right delimiters

In TeXhax (v. 63) Brent Carruth asks how to put a system of linear
equations and its augmented matrix side by side as a displayed
equation.  Actually, all you need to do is make each display
separately with smaller hsize and then place them side by side
(using the KISS principle).  The general pattern would be something like

\centerline{
              {\hsize = .4\hsize   %twiddle for different gutter width
               \vtop{$$
                     \eqalign{ <first aligned equation> \cr
                               <second aligned equation > \cr
                                . . .
                               <last aligned equation> \cr}
                     $$}
              }
              {\hsize = .4 \hsize   %twiddle this too
               \vtop{$$
                     \left(<first coefficient matrix row> \;\cr
                           <second coefficient matrix row> \;\cr
                            . . .
                           <last coefficient matrix row> \;\cr} \right |
                     \left. \matrix{ <augmented column> } \right)
                      [D$$}
              }
           }

Whats neat is that an augmented matrix is usually printed with a
vertical rule before the last column.  So we make the rule the
right delimiter of the coefficient matrix (all columns but the last)
and have a null left delimiter for the last column (the \; jiggles the
spacing for better appearance).

Michael

------------------------------

From: MGTSHUK%UBVMS.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 14:20 EST
Subject: Endnotes

Many journals still require endnotes rather than footnotes. I have been trying
to figure out a way to produce endnotes but have had no luck so far. I would
really appreciate if anyone who has a macro that works just like \foot except
places these notes at the end of the text will send me a copy of the macro.

Thanks in advance.
Ravi Shukla.
-------------------------------X cut here X------------------------------
 e-mail                   voice                    snail-mail
 ------                   -----                    ----------
 mgtshuk@brock1p          (716) 638-8473           15970 telegraph road
 mgtshuk@ubvmsc           (716) 395-5519           holley, ny 14470
 mgtshuk@ubvm
 mgtshuk@sunybcs

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 88 17:40:05 edt
From: art%buengc.bu.edu@bu-it.BU.EDU (A. R. Thompson)
Subject: Question on dvi2ln3

Please post the following to texhax.

Thank you, A.R. Thompson

We are using a DEC LN03 plus with a standard rom containing five
frequently used fonts.  We have been trying to modify dvi2ln3 so that when
these fonts are specified it will inform the printer and not try to load
the fonts themselves.  We have made some progress but we still cannot seem
to get it quite right.  Does anybody have a modified copy of dvi2ln3 with
the appropriate changes, or know what the changes should be?

If we figure it out on our own we'll make it generally available.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 16:33:40 EST
From: quf@l.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Samuels)
Subject: Nested braces in LaTeX

 I've been trying to get LaTeX to give me a list of numbers
 with nested right braces to label partial sums.
 For example, something like this:

             \    \    \
	   1  |    |    |
	      |    |    |
	   2  \    |    |
	       10  |    |
	   3  /    \    |
	      |     21  |
	   4  |    /    \
	     /     |     36
	   5       |    /
		   |    |
	   6       |    |
		  /     |
	   7            |

	   8            |
		       /
	   9

  The main difficulty seems to be in getting the numbers
  lined up.  Notice the trial-and-error spacing in the
  following code:

\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}
$$
\begin{array}{l}
\left.
\begin{array}{@{}l}
\left.
\begin{array}{@{}l}
\left.
\begin{array}{@{}l}
  1\\2\\3\\4
\end{array}
\right\}
  10
  \\ \,5\\ \,6
\end{array}
\right\}
  21
  \\ \, \,7\\ \, \,8
\end{array}
\right\}
  36
  \\ \, \, \,9
\end{array}
$$
\end{document}

  It works, but there must be a better way.

Steve Samuels  Purdue Univ. Statistics Dept.
internet, bitnet, usenet: ssamuels@l.cc.purdue.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 10:27:06 -0200
From: mcvax!dutesta!hansm@uunet.UU.NET ( )
Subject: BibTex and Preview requests

Desperately seeking BibTex:

Who can provide us with a source or object version of BibTex on one or more of
the following machine/os combinations:

	IBM PC/RT (6150) under AIX 2.1
	IBM PC/RT (6150) under ACIS 4.3
	VAX 750 	 under BSD 4.1
	Macintosh II	 under MacOs

Desperately seeking a Previewer for a:

	IBM PS/2 with CGA/MCGA graphics

Thanks very much in advance,

Hans Mulder
mcvax!dutesta!hansm@uunet.uu.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 88 01:32:57 PDT
From: bobby@hot.caltech.edu (Bobby Bodenheimer)
Subject: Bug in some versions of dvi2ps/dvips?

I've encountered a problem in the translation of DVI files
PostScript using some of the common "dvi2ps" or "dvips" programs.
The right delimiter (e.g., \right] or \right)) on arrays and vectors
larger than about 3 rows is broken; that is, part of the vertical
line segment in the ] is aligned differently from the other part.

To produce an example of the bug, create a DVI file with the following
TeX vector in it:
$$\left[\matrix{x-\lambda\cr
                0\cr
                0\cr
                0\cr
                0\cr}\right]$$

On my PostScript output the right bracket is broken by the following:
 1. The dvi2ps program using GF format fonts, with a description file
    dated Sept. 8, 1986 by Dr. Mackay.
 2. The dvips program using PK format fonts, version 0.83, by
    Tomas Rokicki.

The bracket is NOT broken on output produced by the following:
 1. An old (1985) version of the dvi2ps program using PXL format fonts.
 2. Kellerman & Smith's "impress/dvi" using PXL format fonts.
 3. UC Berkeley's dvitool program using PK format fonts (hearsay).

Does anyone have any insight into what's causing this (better yet, does
anyone have a fix)? Is it caused by character positioning not being
calculated in the official dvitype manner, as mentioned in the
documentation to the program?

If this problem has appeared in TeXhax before, I apologize, but
would someone give me the appropriate references?

Thanks,
  Bobby Bodenheimer				@hot.caltech.edu
// BITNET: bobby@caltech.bitnet
// ARPA  : bobby@csvax.caltech.edu
// UUCP  : {amdahl,ames!elroy}!cit-vax!bobby

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 88 16:23:47 PDT
From: key!parsons!sjc@mordor.s1.gov (Steve Correll)
Subject: Re: How to become a technical writer

In answer to S. Bechtolsheim's question: as of a couple of years ago,
Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA offered a technical writing
program within the English department which required the student to take
additional coursework within the engineering and science colleges as well.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 88 12:28:40 EDT
From: beck@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck)
Subject: xdvi under X11?

Can anyone tell me where I can find a version of xdvi which runs under X11?
I know about texx, but I prefer xdvi, since it is simpler and faster.
Thanks,

Micah Beck
Cornell CS Dept.
beck@svax.cs.cornell.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 88 10:59:38 PDT
From: lamport@decwrl.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #60

Gordon Howell writes

   ... I invite Mr.  Lamport (clearly a man after my own heart) to post a
   short letter to the net, encased in proper LaTeX commands and gilded
   and framed with credentials (footnoted with a permission to reproduce
   and sufficient legal caveats) that I can use as support in an attack on
   my own local organization on this issue.

I know it is hard to believe, but my signature on a letter does not
immediately strike fear into the hearts of university deans.  A letter
from me would not have nearly the impact of, say, the chairman of the
C.S. department casually remarking to the president of the university
about what might happen if a disgruntled graduate student were to plant
a virus in the administration's word processors.

I would be happy to write a letter in support of an effort by a
department to overturn a university's rules.  But I don't feel
compelled to write a generic whining letter.

Leslie Lamport

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 88 11:46:08 PDT
From: lamport@decwrl.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #61

   Mike Hannon writes:

   The TeX command:

   $$ \eqalign{
           x &= y, \cr
           u &= v.} \eqno(4) $$

   produces a pair of equations with the equation number, in this case, 4,
   appearing on a line midway between the two equations, something like:

                           x = y,
                                                (4)
                           u = v.

   except, of course, that there is not so much space between the equations.

   Is there some way to do this in LaTeX?  The eqnarray environment seems to
   put the equation number directly opposite one of the equations.  This is
   logically equivalent, I suppose, but seems somehow not as pleasing to the
   eye.

The pleasantness to the eye is irrelevant; what's important is that it
be clear to the reader that the (4) refers to both equations.  If this
pair of equations is a single unit that is to receive a number, the
logical way to write it is

   \begin{equation}
      \begin{array}{rlc}
        x & = & ...
      \end{array}
   \end{equation}

I suspect that this will produce the proper formatting.

Jean-Francois Lamy writes:

   When constructing the .aux file, LaTeX writes out captions as a single
   line.  A large caption will easily exceed the default maximal line
   length of 500 characters (Unix TeX, web2c C version), especially if it
   is the least bit mathematical.  As a workaround, we have increased the
   default value of the line buffer size up from 500 to a few thousands
   (to allow for 1/3 of a mammoth page :-).  Maybe someone can figure out
   how to get LaTeX to break long captions...

Figure captions are written onto the .aux file so they can appearn in
the list of figures.  A 500 character entry in the list of figures
isn't of much help to the reader, so there's no reason for writing it
on the .aux file.  Read about the optional argument to the \caption
command.

Leslie Lamport

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 88 11:54:33 PDT
From: lamport@decwrl.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #62

"Gilbert" writes:

     I am trying to set a data directory as part of a report but cannot get
  the following to work.
     What I want is something like

           definition :     -      -
                            | this |
                            | that |
                            | other|
                            -      -
                            something else

     What I get is

                           -      -
                           | this |
          definition :     | that |
                           | other|
                           -      -
                           something else

  with the definition centered on the middle of the square brackets.
  how can I make it line up on the top of the bracket.

Try the [t] ooptional argument of the tabular environment.

Leslie Lamport

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 88 14:57:44 PDT
From: lamport@decwrl.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #63

Anit Hoover writes:

   I am trying to change the placement of footnotes when there is not
   enough text to fill to the bottom of a page.  In the example below I
   force the figure to start at the top of the next page, there is now
   white space that occurs on the first page.  I would like LaTeX to
   always flush footnotes to the bottom of the page, instead of putting
   the footnote right after the text.

She would have obtained the desired result had she ended her incomplete
page with a \newpage or \clearpage command rather than a \pagebreak
command.  Remember that \newpage and \pagebreak are analogous to
\newline and \linebreak, the latter being used only to help TeX
find better breaking points, not to prematurely end a page or line.

   Leslie Lamport (or the typographer he consulted) seems to have gone to
   a lot of trouble to design the various aspects of the standard LaTeX
   styles as appropriate for various point sizes.  However, I'm not clear
   about the size of paper for which they were designed.

   To avoid future problems, would it be possible for this information to
   be put in comments in future editions of ART10.DOC, ...  , BK12.DOC?

The positioning of the text area on the page is done assuming an 11 X
8.5 page size.  (For example, that's the size for which single-sided
output will be horizontally centered and reasonably well positioned
vertically.) The values of \textwidth were chosen to put the maximum
amount of text on a line without sacrificing readability.  This value
is independent of paper width; it should not be increased but can be
decreased to about 3 inches if desired for narrower paper.  The value
of \textheight was chosen to provide a reasonable amount of text on an
11-inch high page, and give top and bottom margins that look reasonably
good with the side margins on 11 X 8.5 inch paper.  However, the value
of \textheight is not critical.  It can be increased if desired for
more economical use of paper,

People who mess with such document-style parameters as text width and
height should know what they're doing.  The comments of the style
files don't seem like a proper place for a course on document design.

Ge'rald MASINI writes:

   ... When I run LaTeX on a small test file (book style) including two
   sections, some text around the figure, and another figures before and
   after this one, everything's ok: I get what I want.  But when I insert
   the figure at its place (i.e.  almost the end) in the file containing
   the real text (about 150 pages) and run LaTeX on the file, the caption
   looks like...

His question indicates that something impossible is happening--namely,
that the output produced by a figure caption depends upon the context
in which that figure appears.  My guess is that in the two cases, the
captions were not the same because the figure number was wider in the
"real text" than in the small test file.  Remember that a minipage
produces a piece of text that cannot be broken across lines.

Leslie Lamport

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 88 08:37:36 EDT
From: beck@cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck)
Subject: Fig2tex bug fix

Here is a fix to the following bug in Fig2tex Version 1.4 which
is part of the TransFig package:  When drawing an arrowhead, Fig2tex
sets the line style to "solid" since arrowheads are always solid.  However,
it does not restore the line style after drawing the arrowhead.  The
patch follows.

Micah Beck
Cornell CS Dept
beck@svax.cs.cornell.edu
------------------------

*** fig2tex.c.old	Tue Jul 19 08:31:47 1988
--- fig2tex.c	Sat Jul 16 07:17:17 1988
***************
*** 448,458 ****
  {
  	double	x, y, xb, yb, dx, dy, l, sina, cosa;
  	double	xc, yc, xd, yd;

          fprintf(tfp, "%%\n%% arrow head\n%%\n");

- 	set_style(SOLID_LINE, 0.0);
-
  	dx = x2 - x1;  dy = y1 - y2;
  	l = sqrt((dx*dx + dy*dy));
  	sina = dy / l;  cosa = dx / l;
--- 448,458 ----
  {
  	double	x, y, xb, yb, dx, dy, l, sina, cosa;
  	double	xc, yc, xd, yd;
+ 	int style;
+ 	float dash;

          fprintf(tfp, "%%\n%% arrow head\n%%\n");

  	dx = x2 - x1;  dy = y1 - y2;
  	l = sqrt((dx*dx + dy*dy));
  	sina = dy / l;  cosa = dx / l;
***************
*** 466,473 ****
--- 466,481 ----
  	xd = x*cosa + y*sina;
  	yd = -x*sina + y*cosa;

+ 	/* save line style and set to solid */
+ 	style = line_style;
+ 	dash = dash_length;
+ 	set_style(SOLID_LINE, 0.0);
+
  	fprintf(tfp, "\\plot %6.3f %6.3f %6.3f %6.3f %6.3f %6.3f /\n%%\n",
  		xc, yc, x2, y2, xd, yd);
+
+ 	/* restore line style */
+ 	set_style(style, dash);
  	}

  #define		THRESHOLD	.05	/* inch */

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jul 88 09:31:00 EDT
From: "ALLEN, DAN" <allen@ecf.icst.nbs.gov>
Subject: DVI post processor for VAX/VMS - HPlaserjet

	The Experimental Computer Facility at the National Bureau of
	Standards is looking for a DVI postprocessor to run on their
	VAX/VMS system which will support a HPLaserjet II.  If you
	know of this product please let me know at the following
	address.

		ALLEN@ECF.ICST.NBS.GOV

	Thanx Dan

------------------------------

Subject: TEX-TO-C, WEB-TO-C
From: keynes!glenn@ucsd.edu

We are trying to get TeX up on an NCR running SysV and have the
full distribution but...

Our Pascal compiler is brain-dead.  I have been hearing about the
WEB-TO-C and TEX-TO-C conversion programs which generate the
appropriate C code but don't know where to get them.

Are they ftp'able from any of the standard sites?  Where?

Thanks,

Glenn T. Sueyoshi
Asst. Professor

c/o  -  Dept. of Economics   D-008, UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA  92093
Address:  gtsueyoshi@ucsd.{edu,bitnet}          Phone: (619) 534-2973
          ucbvax!ucsd!keynes!glenn                     (619) 452-6284
          opster!glenn@ucsd.{edu,bitnet}

%%%
%%%     All others: send mail to
%%%           texhax-request@score.stanford.edu
%%%     please send a valid arpanet address!!
%%%
%%%
%%% All submissions to: texhax@score.stanford.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:      directory:  filename:
%%%   [SCORE.STANFORD.EDU]<TEX.TEXHAX>TEXHAXnn.yy
%%%      nn = issue number
%%%      yy = last two digits of current year
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------