From: chase@orc.olivetti.com
Subject: Random notes and complaints
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 88 12:22:53 -0700

I am installing a Unix-tex tape containing TeX 2.9,
LaTeX 2.09 (25 Jan 1988), METAFONT 1.3, tape made on 5 May 1988.
I am installing this on a Sun 3/60 running SunOS 3.4, and I am using
ctex and the modifications posted by Pierre MacKay to make a gargantuan
TeX.

Results/problems:

+ Gargantuan (C) tex works fine, and is very large.

+ The new bibtex also appears to work well.

- It was a little confusing where the patches where to be applied,
  since there were (different) copies of "ctex.ch" in both ./tex82
  and ./tex82/texdir.  The patches should be applied to ./texdir/ctex.ch.

- There was some confusion regarding use of "TEX.POOL" in the gigantic
  version of tex; I think web2c generated it as "tex.pool", requiring
  (additional) intervention on my part to set things straight.

- The ctex makfile should also make "slitex".

- lfonts.tex calls for amcsc10, yet there is no such font in
  the distribution.  I changed it to call for cmcsc10 (which I can
  generate with METAFONT), but wonder if there was a reason.

- ctex/itex.c had the following three lines of code in it which
  resulting in NOT using my TEXINPUTS environment variable in the
  undumped versions of TeX and LaTeX.

    if ( readyalready == 314159L )
    goto lab1 ;
    setpaths () ;

  I moved the call to setpaths before the initialization test and
  crossed my fingers.

- The true-font-sizes package in TeXcontrib/sauter lacks the file
  "build_cmbsy.mf".

However, with fairly minor effort (a morning watching my Sun recompile
code, copy files, and run latex and bibtex to confirm that it all still
works) I have an up-to-date system that seems to run.

David Chase
Olivetti Research Center, Menlo Park, CA
<rbbb@rice.edu> for sure
<chase@olivetti.orc.com> for MX-header-eating mailers
oliveb!orc!chase for uucp mailers

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 88 19:51:06 EDT
From: Mike DeCorte <mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>
Subject: re: Standardizing on PostScript TFMs

There is a slight problem with this.  Right now the naming conventions
used by Adobe are fine but what is to be done if and when Times Roman
fonts are made in MF?  If not Times Roman pick your favorite font that
is available in both the PostScript and non PostScript worlds.

What might be best would be if the tfm's for the mf version of font X
were the same as the tfm's for the PostScript version of font X.  Then
the user could have a single dvi file that could use either font but
this may not be possible or practical.

Michael DeCorte // (315)268-2292 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet   mrd@clutx.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 88 16:58:44 PDT
From: lamport@decwrl.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #64 (LaTeX notes)

Micah Beck writes:

   The following use of the \addcontentsline command together with an
   \include'd file causes unexpected ordering of lines in the table of
   contents.

   This LaTeX document bug.tex:

	\documentstyle[12pt]{article}
	\begin{document}

	\tableofcontents
	Some text.

	\clearpage
	\addcontentsline{toc}{section}{Added Line 1}
	\include{p1}

	\end{document}

This is a bug that was first reported to me almost a year ago, but I
apparently failed to note it in latex.bug.  The problem occurs when an
\addcontentsline or \addtocontents command immediately precedes an
\include.  There doesn't seem to be any easy way to fix the problem.
The only thing to do is put the \addcontentsline command in the
\include'd file.

The answer to Peter Galko's "Formatting problem" can be found in the
LaTeX code.  (Or, he can solve his problem more easily by using LaTeX.)

Leslie Lamport

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 01:00:08 BST
From: CET1%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: When is a loop not a loop?

TeXperts will be familiar with the effect that

    \def\a{\a\b}  \a

generates "! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=200]",
while

    \def\a{\a}  \a

causes TeX to loop, due to TeX's tail recursion removal. However,
the effect caused by

    \def\a{\the\a}  \a

was new to me. What happens is that indefinite amounts of Pascal
stack are consumed (in detail: |get_x_token| calls |expand| calls
|ins_the_toks| calls |the_toks| calls |get_x_token| ...). The results
of that depend on one's local Pascal runtime system, of course. (On
my machine, using IBM's Pascal/VS under MVS, the runtime system tries
to expand the stack as necessary. Eventually I get

IEA705I ERROR DURING GETMAIN SYS CODE = 80A-10 CET1 PHXSESS PHXSESS 00
IEA705I 00F5EA00 008F1338 008F1338 00001200 00003000
Error state abend SCC=80A-10 in program TEX

which the veriest babe could understand as meaning "I have run out
of store".)

With something like

    \def\a{\the\a\b}  \a

it's a competition as to whether TeX's input stack or the Pascal stack
will run out first; in the previous case TeX's tail recursion removal
again prevents the possibility of its input stack overflowing.

In fact, many similar examples can be constructed: for example \the
can be replaced by \number, or \ifnum. I don't suppose the effect can
be considered a bug. What surprises me is that I haven't met it before.
What are other users' experiences? Are there other, fundamentally
different, ways of making TeX consume indefinitely much Pascal stack?
(To be precise: an amount of stack not bounded by a (linear?) function
of the TeX configuration constants.)

Of course, the user here who originally had the problem that led me to
discover this hadn't done anything quite as straightforward as the above
examples! His input looked like this

\def\oldheader{\the\headerline}
\def\headerline{}
% Most of the document here
\def\headerline{\the\oldheader}
% And then use \headerline the next time the \output routine is called!

being under a misapprehension about the relationship of \def, \edef,
macros and token registers.

Chris Thompson
JANET: cet1@uk.ac.cam.phx
ARPA:  cet1%phx.cam.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 02:08:16 EDT
From: jonradel%icecream.Princeton.EDU@Princeton.EDU (Jon Radel)
Subject: Page # of # pages (TeXhax65.88)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 02:07:56 EDT
From: jonradel%icecream.Princeton.EDU@Princeton.EDU (Jon Radel)
Subject: TeX stuff for PC/MS-DOS (TeXhax63.88)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 05:09:27 EST
From: integin!svb@purdue.edu (Stephan Bechtolsheim)
Subject: Page # of # pages

You need two passes, unless you saved all the pages in box
registers in the output routine until you reached the last
page and then wrote the boxes out. Obviously there is a
problem with respect to the amount of memory you need to
save all these boxes.

Stephan v. Bechtolsheim,
integin!svb@arthur.cs.purdue.edu,  (317) 463 0162

------------------------------

From: ches@research.att.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 11:23:12 EDT

The LN01 driver that we used at NJIT was obtained from its author,
Flavio Rose, of Digital Equipment Corp in Marlboro, Mass.  NJIT was
never authorized to distribute that software.

It worked fairly well, though I had troubles with some of the largest
fonts.  It was written in PL/I: we did have a compiler, so we never
tried to fix it.

Bill Cheswick
ches@research.att.com
research!ches

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 20 Jul 88 13:42 N
From: <GAVIN%HNYMPI52.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  Problems combining \tt, \obeyspaces, and \halign

I'm trying to typeset `tables' which represent the menu screens in a user
interface display.  Because the typewriter type font characters have
identical widths, I figured the easiest way to do this (experienced but
sensitive Wizards please brace yourselves) would be with the
\obeyspaces command: I can copy the menu display straight into the file
as it appears on screen.

The macro below almost works.

However, on the left hand side of the table, between the vertical bar and
the text, mysterious spaces are inserted. I don't know why they appear,
so naturally, I don't know how to get rid of them. Can anyone explain and
resolve this problem, or point me to the (thus far elusive) appropriate
TeXbook reference?

Desired output:
    |                MAIN MENU              |
    | Lexicon:    Application: Environment: |
    |  LIST        SHOW         SQL*PLUS    |
    |  CREATE      TABLE        VMS         |
    |  MODIFY      UNLOAD                   |
    |  DROP        LOAD         INSTALL     |

Actual output:
    |                    MAIN MENU              |
    |     Lexicon:    Application: Environment: |
    |      LIST        SHOW         SQL*PLUS    |
    |      CREATE      TABLE        VMS         |
    |      MODIFY      UNLOAD                   |
    |      DROP        LOAD         INSTALL     |

Crude macro:

$${\vbox{
     \tt
     \obeyspaces
     \frenchspacing
     \offinterlineskip
     \hrule height 1.5pt
     \halign {&\vrule width1.5pt#&
       \strut#\cr
     height10pt&\omit&\cr
    &{              MAIN MENU                }&\cr
    &{                                       }&\cr
    &{ Lexicon:    Application: Environment: }&\cr
    &{  LIST        SHOW         SQL*PLUS    }&\cr
    &{  CREATE      TABLE        VMS         }&\cr
    &{  MODIFY      UNLOAD                   }&\cr
    &{  DROP        LOAD         INSTALL     }&\cr
     height10pt&\omit&\cr
     \noalign{\hrule height 1.5pt}
     }
   }
 }
$$

Gavin Burnage
CELEX -- Centre for Lexical Information               Reply:
University of Nijmegen                         GAVIN@HNYMPI52.BITNET
Wundtlaan 1
6525 XD  NIJMEGEN
The Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 15:14:10 EDT
From: toms@ncifcrf.gov
Subject: Mirror-image fonts

Bengt Martensson pointed out that the PostScript command
-1 1 scale
should work, and indeed it does.
Tom Schneider toms@ncifcrf.gov

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 1988 14:26 EDT
From: Jim Walker <N410109%univscvm.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      RE: Rest of line as macro argument

Here's how you can write a macro that takes the rest of the line as its
argument:

\def\test{\begingroup\obeylines\innertest}

{\obeylines \gdef\innertest#1~~M{\message{#1}\endgroup}}

The second \obeylines causes \innertest to look for an active carriage
return, i.e., one with a category code of 13.  The first \obeylines
insures that the end of the line does have that category code.

Incidentally, the bibliography stuff in AmS-TeX does NOT work this way;
you can have more than one item per line, or one item on more than one
line, e.g.,
\ref \book The \TeX book  \publ Addison-Wesley \yr 1984 \by Donald E.
Knuth \publaddr Reading, Massachusetts
\endref

 -- Jim Walker, Dept. of Mathematics, Univ. of S. Carolina

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 20 Jul 1988 15:35 EDT
From: Brian Holmes <BHOLMES%WAYNEST1.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      Metafont CM files

Does anyone have 12 point MF files for CM fonts.  I'm trying to generate
12 point sizes, but I do not know the standard numbers to use in the
MF file. (If there is any?)  Are they located on BITNET anywhere?
Am I asking the wrong question?  Can anyone tell me where I can get
ahold of Metafont documentation?

*    Brian Holmes                  \    /                ___      *
*    Wayne State University         \/\/su              |   |     *
*    Detroit Michigan                               ____|   |____ *
*                                                   |   |   |   | *
*  BITNET   : BHOLMES@WAYNEST1                      |   |   |   | *
*  INTERNET : Brian_Holmes%WU@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU       |   |   |   | *
*  UUCP     : {UMIX|ITIVAX}!WAYNE-MTS!BRIAN_HOLMES  ============= *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 15:46 EDT
From: Ted Nieland - SRL <@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA:TNIELAND@FALCON>
Subject: TeX to C/Web to C

I have been seeing a lot of messages about WEBtoC and TEXtoC.  Where can these
tools be found?

I am currently finishing a TeX/LaTeX collection and would to include these
in the collection.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 14:23 PDT
From: MCGLK%MAX.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Problems with problems.

Now that I've gotten over my alignment problems, there's something else I
want to ask, after beating my head against it for a while.  Please pardon
the lack of whitespace in the following excerpts:

I'm working on a textbook in LaTeX.  The problems section, in theory, is
easy enough:

     \section{Problems}
     \begin{enumerate}
     \item problem problem problem problem problem ...
     ...22 other items...
     \item problem problem problem problem problem ...
     \end{enumerate}

resulting in

     X.Y  Problems

       1. problem problem problem problem problem ...
      24. problem problem problem problem problem ...

However, the authors want to indicate difficult problems by having a
boldface asterisk in front of the number, like so:

     *13. problem problem problem problem problem ...

The amateur who was working on this before I was just used

     \item[{\bf *}13.] problem problem ...

which resulted in

      12. problem problem problem problem problem ...
     *13. problem problem problem problem problem ...
      13. problem problem problem problem problem ...

which he apparently never proofread.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is have something called \itemstar, which
works exactly like \item, only with a boldfaced asterisk in front.  The
problem is that there are occasionally nested {enumerate} environments, and
the difficult part is only a subitem of a single problem, so I need it to
work on any level of enumeration.

LaTeX stores the current enumeration depth in \@enumdepth, and the current
item number (in the proper style for that enumeration depth) in \theenumi,
\theenumii, \theenumiii, and \theenumiv.  So, I tried various combinations
(which I presumed would have problems), and finally came up with this:

     \catcode`@=11
     \edef\itemstar#1{\item[{\bf *}\theenum\romannumeral\@enumdepth]
                      \advance\enum\romannumeral\@enumdepth by 1}
     \catcode`@=12

I wanted the definition to translate \theenum\romannumeral\@enumdepth into
\theenumi .. \theenumiv depending on the \@enumdepth, but it complains that
\theenum isn't defined, which is true.  I can't seem to get it to expand
the \romannumeral\@enumdepth and tack that onto \theenum to get the proper
macro.  This goes for the \advance command as well---I really need that
\enum\romannumeral\@enumdepth expanded.

Any good ideas?

                              --Ken McGlothlen
                                mcglk@max.acs.washington.edu
                                mcglk@max.bitnet
                                mcglk@scott.biostat.washington.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 88 01:43:37 EDT
From: Mike DeCorte <mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>
Subject: LaTeX problem?

In the local guide on line 182 there is the command

\hbox{\verb|\input|}

I find this odd as the LaTeX manual says that \verb cannot be
used in the argument to a command.  I also don't see why
the \hbox is needed.  Why did Leslie Lamport do this?

Also, in an itemize env, if I have a

\item \hbox{a} b c

the "a" will be put to the above the bullet to the left.  As I
expected a \leavevmode fixes it but, I would still like to know if
this is expected (read documented) behavior and I have missed
something obvious.

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 88 01:52:23 EDT
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: re: verbatim mode [TeXhax Digest V88 #65]

>Date:         Thu, 14 Jul 88 16:31:44 GMT
>From: Marion Neubauer <$90%DHDURZ1.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
>I need an environment which does the same things that verbatim does,
>but it should accept one command: "\input{...}".

I dealt with this problem for my thesis with the following mutation of
the \begin{verbatim} from latex.tex. The \begin{code} environment is
from Tim Shepard, which was just a verbatim environment that allowed
line breaking (undoing a bugfix in latex.tex :-). The \begin{frepcode}
environment was built from it, with the \input embedded in it,
designed for inputting raw code files.

There are some vestiges of an attempt to make tabs (^^I) work; all of
my attempts have failed (and I had to turn the thesis in regardless).

Sorry for the lack of comments; this stuff was written and
transmogrified under pressure of thesis deadlines by several people.
The \Spacing changes were done to make sure code was single spaced;
the thesis itself had to be double spaced (brain damaged MIT thesis
requirements...) At some point it should be improved (I would really
like to see tabs working!) or replaced with a real language specific
code environment.

				Mark Eichin
			<eichin@athena.mit.edu>
		SIPB Member & Project Athena ``Watchmaker''

Usage:
\begin{frepcode}{filename}\end{frepcode}
\begin{code}
code segment
\end{code}

File:
% Utility stuff from Tim Shepard (shep@ptt.lcs.mit.edu)
%
% It defines appropriate stuff so you can do \begin{code} ... \end{code}
%
%% hacked [eichin:19880515.1257EST] to do frepcode and other stuff.
\typeout{Useful Crunchy LaTeX pieces, frepcode}

\newcommand{\Spacing}[1]{
    \renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{#1}
    \tiny
    \normalsize
}

\catcode`\@=11\relax

{\catcode`\ =\active\gdef\@vobeyspaces{\catcode`\ \active \let \@xobeysp}}

\def\@xobeysp{\leavevmode{} }

\begingroup \catcode `|=0 \catcode `[= 1
\catcode`]=2 \catcode `\{=12 \catcode `\}=12
\catcode`\\=12 |gdef|@xcode#1\end{code}[#1|end[code]]

\def\@scode{\obeyspaces\@code}

\def\@code{\trivlist \Spacing{1.0} %
\item[]\if@minipage\else\vskip\parskip\fi
\leftskip\@totalleftmargin\rightskip\z@
\parindent\z@\parfillskip\@flushglue\parskip\z@
\@tempswafalse \def\par{\if@tempswa\hbox{}\fi\@tempswatrue\@@par}
\obeylines \small\tt \let\do\@makeother \dospecials}

\catcode`\\=12 |gdef|@xfrepcode#1\end{frepcode}[#1|end[frepcode]]

\def\@sfrepcode{\obeyspaces\@frepcode}

\def\@frepcode{\trivlist \Spacing{1.0} %
\item[]\if@minipage\else\vskip\parskip\fi
\leftskip\@totalleftmargin\rightskip\z@
\parindent\z@\parfillskip\@flushglue\parskip\z@
\@tempswafalse \def\par{\if@tempswa\hbox{}\fi\@tempswatrue\@@par}
\obeylines \small\tt \let\do\@makeother \dospecials}

\catcode`\^^I=\active
\gdef^^I{\mbox{\space\space\space\space\space\space\space\space}}

\def\frepcode#1{\@frepcode %
\frenchspacing\@vobeyspaces\catcode`\^^I=\active \@xfrepcode\input{#1}}
\let\endfrepcode=\endtrivlist

\def\code{\@code \frenchspacing\@vobeyspaces\catcode`\^^I=\active \@xcode}
\let\endcode=\endtrivlist
\catcode`\^^I=10

\catcode`\@=12

%% end

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 88 14:12:39 HMT
From: FRAGIAD%GRCRUN11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Hi from Crete.
Does anybody out there has modified Cnaf's TeX previewer
so as to use GF(or PK) files instead of PXL's ?
Also is there any modification of dvi2ps(in c) to use PK files
and a change file for gftopk.web(pktype,web,pktopxl.web) for Vax/Vms?
Also since I am new to TeX world could someone give some more
information on PK file format.
Thanks for your answers and time.
Bye.

p.s.Replies to sxoinas@grcrvax1

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 88 15:19:12 ECT
From: HANCHE%NORUNIT.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

In TeXhax #65 Marion Neubauer wants a \verbatim environment in which she
can say \input{...} and actually have the file input.  While that seems
a bit difficult to do, I have found a solution that might be better:

\makeatletter
\newcommand{\verbinput}[1]{{\@verbatim\frenchspacing\@vobeyspaces
             \input{#1}\endtrivlist}}
\makeatother

(If the definition above is done in a .sty file the \makeatletter and
\makeatother commands can be omitted.)

It is now possible to say \verbinput{foobar.c}, which results in the
C file being typeset just like it had been included in a verbatim
environment.

The above solution was easily found by looking at the definition of
\verbatim in latex.tex.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen

------------------------------

Date: Thu 21 Jul 88 07:17:46-PDT
From: BELL%KUPHSX.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU (Did someone need a
Subject: TeX and METAFONT on SPAN

	I've been very busy the last few months since I've been able to
	FTP. We've been able to upgrade to just about the most recent
	versions of all TeX- and METAFONT-related software. The following
	versions are what we currently (21 July 1988) have on our system
	(KUPHSX, 7.220):

	Program		Version			Comments
	---------	-------			--------
	BibTeX		 0.99c		No one uses it here (yet), but it
					is functional.

	LaTeX		 2.09		Dated 25 Jan 1988

	SliTeX		 2.09		Released 10 November 1986. Again,
					no one here uses it, but it is
					functional, although lacking some
					of the font sizes.

	DVIIMP		 0.92		No VMS change file.
	GFread		 1.0		No VMS change file.
	GFtoDVI		 1.7
	GFtoPK		 1.4
	GFtoPXL		 2.1
	GFtype		 2.2
	METAFONT(MF)	 1.4
	MFT		 0.3
	PKtoPX		 2.3		VMS change file in progress.
	PKtype		 2.2
	PXtoPK		 2.3		VMS change file in progress.

	DVItype		 2.8		No one uses this.
	PLtoTF		 2.3		No one uses this.
	POOLtype	 ??		No version number available. Not used.
	TANGLE		 2.8
	TeX		 2.92
	TFtoPL		 2.5		No one uses this.
	WEAVE		 2.9

	DVItoVDU	 2.0		Includes locally written driver
					for ENVISION 220/230 terminals
					(a.k.a. Lear-Siegler 7105/7107)

	DVI2LN3		13.0		Locally modified version of Flavio
					Rose's DVI2LN3 V12. Improved DCL
					interface, modified PXL directory
					structure, PXL and font directory
					specifications, PK-reading capability,
					and much more.

	Although I have obtained many of these things from other sources,
	most of the software which we are currently running is essentially
	the distribution from Stanford for VMS systems. We have not, however,
	gotten a legitimate distribution tape from Stanford for somewhere
	around two years. Recent upgrades are all due to FTP's from Stanford.

	We obviously have some omissions (mostly METAFONTware). We have an
	older version of TeX in C, as well as much of the Rochester LaTeX
	style files, although I must admit they are from >6 months ago and
	as such are also out of date. We also run our own brand of TeX
	(called KUTeX) which is an enhancement of "plain" TeX.

	VMS Difference files are available for people who are running
	lower versions of TeX and METAFONT. These are on TeX_DISK:[TeX82]
	in the SOURCES and MF subdirectories, respectively. They have the
	extensions DIF. For TeX, there is a difference file for V2.0 -> V2.7,
	one for V2.7 -> V2.9, and on for V2.9 -> 2.92. For METAFONT there is
	one for V1.0 -> V1.3 and one for V1.3 -> V1.4. These files are
	considerably smaller than the WEB source for either program, so
	these are the preferred files to copy.

					Ed Bell
%%%
%%%     All others: send mail to
%%%           texhax-request@score.stanford.edu
%%%     please send a valid arpanet address!!
%%%
%%%
%%% All submissions to: texhax@score.stanford.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:      directory:  filename:
%%%   [SCORE.STANFORD.EDU]<TEX.TEXHAX>TEXHAXnn.yy
%%%      nn = issue number
%%%      yy = last two digits of current year
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------