[comp.text] VI editor for DOS ?

markb@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Mark Biasotti) (06/16/88)

Is anyone aware of a "vi" type of editor for DOS based products? If
such a product does not exist, what existing DOS based editor comes
closest to vi?

The reason I ask is because I like, and have become productive with,
the vi editor. I'm now having to investigate DOS applications and
don't like the "edlin" line editor.

roger@homxc.UUCP (Another Technical Editor) (06/17/88)

In article <780004@hpcea.CE.HP.COM>, markb@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Mark Biasotti) writes:

> Is anyone aware of a "vi" type of editor for DOS based products? If
> such a product does not exist, what existing DOS based editor comes
> closest to vi?

I can think of two. My favorite is PC-VI, which costs
about $125 and is available from
Custom Software Services
P.O. Box 678
Natick, MA 01760

The other is either a public domain or shareware editor
called Z. It's packaged with the Aztec compiler by
Manx Software Inc.
One Industrial Way
Eatontown, NJ 07724

Roger Tait                           ..ihnp4!homxc!roger
(201) 949-1136
AT&T Bell Labs Technical Publications        Holmdel, NJ

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (06/21/88)

In article <780004@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> markb@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Mark Biasotti) writes:

>Is anyone aware of a "vi" type of editor for DOS based products? If
>such a product does not exist, what existing DOS based editor comes
>closest to vi?
>
>The reason I ask is because I like, and have become productive with,
>the vi editor. I'm now having to investigate DOS applications and
>don't like the "edlin" line editor.

An excellent DOS version of VI is available from Custom Software Systems,
PO Box 678, Natick, MA 01760 for about $70.  PC-VI is complete and does
a few things even more nicely than the UNIX version.  There is also a stripped-
down version of VI called "Z" from Manx Software (I think it's shareware).
There are also several other good, fast DOS editors--most better suited
to the PC than VI--such as IBM's own Personal Editor II (PE II).

	-Marc Johnson
	 Rockefeller Univ.

terry@introl.uucp (Terry Orlowski) (06/21/88)

In article <2432@homxc.UUCP> roger@homxc.UUCP (Another Technical Editor) writes:
>In article <780004@hpcea.CE.HP.COM>, markb@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Mark Biasotti) writes:
>>
>> Is anyone aware of a "vi" type of editor for DOS based products? If
>> such a product does not exist, what existing DOS based editor comes
>> closest to vi?
>>
>I can think of two. My favorite is PC-VI, which costs
>about $125 and is available from
>Custom Software Services
>P.O. Box 678
>Natick, MA 01760
>
>The other is either a public domain or shareware editor
>called Z. It's packaged with the Aztec compiler by
>Manx Software Inc.
>One Industrial Way
>Eatontown, NJ 07724
>
>Roger Tait                           ..ihnp4!homxc!roger
>(201) 949-1136
>AT&T Bell Labs Technical Publications        Holmdel, NJ

The following article should convince you which editor to get (it's not just
advertising hype) all the advertised features WORK. I have the MKS Toolkit;
just need to upgrade - VERY nice product.

Get the Toolkit not just the editor; so much more comes with the toolkit &
it's well worth the extra $40.

Best place to buy: Programmers Connection
		   800-366-1166   list $139  their price $109

======================== Beginning of article ===============================
Newsgroups: comp.newprod
Subject: MKS Toolkit Version 2.3
Date: 2 Jun 88 18:02:56 GMT
Sender: usenet@mcdchg.UUCP

             MKS TOOLKIT, Version 2.3 (UNIX tools for DOS)

Mortice Kern Systems Inc. is pleased to announce the release of the MKS
Toolkit version 2.3, with shipping scheduled to commence on May 6, 1988.
Many of you are already aware of the Toolkit as an extensive collection
of UNIX compatible software tools running on MS-DOS and PC-DOS.

This latest version offers new tools, and enhanced functionality plus
technical reference documentation to cover all of these additions.  It
is delivered on 5 DSDD 5.25" diskettes, (or 720K 3.5" diskettes, please
specify when ordering), accompanied by complete technical documentation.

The MKS Toolkit version 2.3 includes:

"NEW COMMANDS"

compress, uncompress    Lempel-Ziv compression/decompression.  Binary-
	compatible with UNIX compress.

diff3   This command compares three versions of a text file.

nl      This is a filter that will number lines and handle footers,
	headers and page numbering.

spell   This is a command which checks for misspelled words in files.
	In order to do this, a word list of nearly one hundred thousand
	words is included.

tty     Display terminal name.

yacc    Yet Another Compiler Compiler.  This is a parser generator
	language; it takes a context-free LALR(1) or LALR (2) grammar
	and turns it into a set of tables and C code which
	constitutes a parser to recognize that grammar.
 	This implementation of yacc is fully compatible with UNIX.

"NEW FEATURES"

cpio    Multi-volume support and builtin data compression are provided.
	cpio now becomes a very flexible method of doing backups
	and software distribution.

getopt  Added  -c option to allow a different command name in error
	messages.

prof    Added -l option to allow profiling down to the line level.

diff    The option -c has been renamed -D for compatibility with BSD
	systems.  Memory usage has been modified to allow for
	substantially larger differences before having to use the
	-h option.

deroff  Added the option -n to display the file name and line number
	with each word.

join    Added the option -v to suppress matching lines.

date    Added the option %B to allow for fixed width numeric month
	fields.

dd      Added options conv=rawin and conv=rawout for access to DOS
	devices.

nm      Added the option -a to print the line number table.

sum     Added the option -i to implement CRC-CCITT checksum.

sh      MKS implementation of the Korn Shell for DOS.  Quoting and
	parameter expansion improved.  Exported aliases and functions
	now passed to subshells and shell files, never into the
	environment.  Special ERR and EXIT traps are available in
	functions.  Shell context switching now works correctly
	under Novell and NFS networks.  Searches in vi and emacs
	editing modes are now echoed.

ls      Due to popular demand, the -C option has been built in.

init    This program has been generalized to give complete control over
	what programs init runs.  The file /etc/inittab contains
	a description of what programs to run and in what order.
	This also allows Terminate-Stay-Resident (TSR) programs to be
	started directly by init.  The option -T has been added to
	allow you to use the MKS Toolkit on serial lines
	(e.g.  COM1).  The option -R allows the specification of a
	setting for the ROOTDIR environment variable that will
	filter down to all descendants of init.

mv, cp  These commands now detect source and destination files that
	are identical.

awk     Line length increased from 1 to 2K.

	Speed improvements -- many scripts will run about twice as
	fast as the previous version.

	Experience with the new book "The AWK Programming Language" Aho,
	Weinberger, and Kernighan (Addison-Wesley, 1987) has prompted
	some small changes for conformance.

	Multiple -f options effectively allow the creation of awk libraries.

Novell  Certain things which failed in the previous release when using
	Novell Netware have been corrected.  Commands affected
	include du, df, ls, mv ...

PRICE

The price of the MKS Toolkit, version 2.3 is $169.00.  Updates from
earlier versions of the Toolkit are available for $45.00.  All prices
are quoted in $US.

Site/network licences are available.

SHIPPING

The package is shipped via UPS ground in the continental US and via
first class mail elsewhere.  North America shipping costs are included
in purchase price.  Overseas customers please add $15.00 for shipping.

ORDER INFORMATION

To order or obtain further information, contact:
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,
35 King Street North,
Waterloo, Ont. N2J 2W9

1-800-265-2797 (continental USA)
1-519-884-2251 (elsewhere)

uucp: ...uunet!watmath!mks!inquiry
MasterCard, VISA, American Express, and checks accepted.

======================== End of article ===============================

wayne@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne) (06/21/88)

In article <2432@homxc.UUCP> roger@homxc.UUCP (Another Technical Editor) writes:
>In article <780004@hpcea.CE.HP.COM>, markb@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Mark Biasotti) writes:
-> Is anyone aware of a "vi" type of editor for DOS based products? If
-> such a product does not exist, what existing DOS based editor comes
-> closest to vi?
->
>I can think of two. My favorite is PC-VI, which costs
>about $125 and is available from
>Custom Software Services
>P.O. Box 678
>Natick, MA 01760

	Sorry, Custom Software Systems was sued by AT&T for copyright
infringment and is no longer in business.  Rather a shame as they did
have a pretty good vi for MS-DOS.  I do not know the deatails but I
do know that they no longer have a phone and my USmail goes unanswered.

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wayne@teemc.uucp
INTERNET: wayne%teemc.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu            uunet!umix!teemc!wayne

becker@ziebmef.uucp (Bruce Becker) (06/22/88)

In article <780004@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> markb@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Mark Biasotti) writes:

>Is anyone aware of a "vi" type of editor for DOS based products? If
>such a product does not exist, what existing DOS based editor comes
>closest to vi?
	try Mortice Kern Systems in Waterloo Ontario. They also have a
	toolkit of un*x commands nd a korn shell for ms-dos...

nagy@aluxp.UUCP (Jeffrey J. Nagy) (06/23/88)

In article <780004@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> markb@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Mark Biasotti) writes:

>Is anyone aware of a "vi" type of editor for DOS based products? If
>such a product does not exist, what existing DOS based editor comes
>closest to vi?
>
>The reason I ask is because I like, and have become productive with,
>the vi editor. I'm now having to investigate DOS applications and
>don't like the "edlin" line editor.

There is good Public Domain version of VI available for MSDOS
machines which was posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc about 3-6 months
ago. I have a copy of it if you would like to try it before
you go with one of the more complete commercial versions of VI.

I have used VI for many years on UNIX systems and feel that this
public domain version is very adequate for most editing jobs.
It doesn't include the ex line editor commands. If you use these
commands often I suggest you go with one of the commercial versions.

If you are interested in trying it, I can mail it to you.

richard@bud.UUCP (richard karasik) (07/08/88)

>-> Is anyone aware of a "vi" type of editor for DOS based products? If
>-> such a product does not exist, what existing DOS based editor comes
>-> closest to vi?
>->
>>I can think of two. My favorite is PC-VI, which costs
>>about $125 and is available from
>>Custom Software Services
>>P.O. Box 678
>>Natick, MA 01760

   	Sorry, Custom Software Systems was sued by AT&T for copyright
  infringment and is no longer in business.  Rather a shame as they did
  have a pretty good vi for MS-DOS.  I do not know the deatails but I
  do know that they no longer have a phone and my USmail goes unanswered.

The best one I know of is from Mortice Kern Systems -including their MKS
toolkit. Talk with Gerry Wheeler for ordering particulars. - Out of
Canada.

 ... uunet.UU.NET!watmath!mks!wheels

MKS has support people online to the net !!!!

Price is around $120 bucks.

Could also check in with comp.ibm.pc for freebees
--
-----------------------------
 sun!arete!bud!richard      ||"No, I said the BITS .. massage the BITS"

plipp@tugiig (Lipp Peter) (08/03/88)

I think there are better editors than VI for DOS! VI is not a
state of the art editor at all!

Peter Lipp - plipp@tugiig.uucp

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (08/05/88)

In article <27@tugiig> plipp@tugiig (Lipp Peter) writes:

>I think there are better editors than VI for DOS! VI is not a
>state of the art editor at all!

This is an irrelevant comment which is only designed to start up another
"religious" editor war.

No doubt the poster who asked about VI for DOS has heard numerous times that
there are better and newer editors available, but he still prefers VI -- as
do I, and many others.

So, take note that he didn't ask "is vi the best editor", but rather, "where
can I get vi for DOS", and don't post irrelevant replies.

Personally, I use the MKS Toolkit, which provides a very nice implementation
of VI. They are at uunet!watmath!mks!toolkit.

Wolf

UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs%wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

padgett@inuxd.UUCP (Gary Padgett) (08/05/88)

> I think there are better editors than VI for DOS! VI is not a
> state of the art editor at all!
>
> Peter Lipp - plipp@tugiig.uucp

What is a better editor? Is there an editor for DOS similar to the VMS
EDT editor?

Gary Padgett
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Indianapolis, IN