[comp.text] nroff problem

davidra@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (David A. Rabson) (08/23/88)

How to insert spaces at the top of the page:

\<space>
.sp <number>

				David Rabson
				davidra@helios.tn.cornell.edu
				Laboratory of Atomic and Solid State Physics
				Cornell University

brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) (08/23/88)

In article <6076@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> davidra@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (David A. Rabson) writes:
>How to insert spaces at the top of the page:
>
>\<space>
>.sp <number>

Won't work for top of "mm" pages because a command, I forget which
one, disables spacing at the top of a page.  You could redefine .TP
or .PX (described in my other message) or possibly you could issue a
.rs command, to restore spacing,  and then give a .sp

Brian    : UC San Francisco       :...!{ucbvax,uunet}!daedalus.ucsf.edu!brianc
Colfer   : Dept. of Lab. Medicine : brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu
         :  PH. 415-476-2325      : BRIANC@UCSFCCA.BITNET

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (08/24/88)

In article <1344@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu (Brian Colfer) writes:

>Won't work for top of "mm" pages because a command, I forget which
>one, disables spacing at the top of a page.

The point is that "\<space>" forces a space to be printed, so that the
.sp following it IS NOT at the top of a page. Get it?

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com