[comp.text] TEX Implementation Language Zero

EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges) (08/30/88)

In article <4998@claris.UUCP>, drc@claris.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) writes:

>Wasn't TeX originally written is SAIL?  I seem to remember some reference to
>it in the Pascal sources that I saw many years ago at JPL (gads, that seems
>like a lifetime ago -- working on Univac 1100s, IBM 3032s, ModComps and VAXen).
>
>Dennis Cohen

Dennis, Knuth writes (Ref. 1) that "a complete version of TEX was designed
and coded by the author in late 1977 and early 1978; that program, like its
prototype, was written in the SAIL language, for which an excellent
debugging system was available".  When I was with Bell-Northern Research
in the early 80s, the DEC-20 systems programmers thought very highly of
SAIL.  The following book is highly recommended for anyone who wants
to learn how to write insanely great code and comments.

Ref: Donald E. Knuth, T X, the Program.  Reading, MA, 1986: Addison-
Wesley Publishing Company. p. 2.