[comp.text] Eroff and HPdeskjet

mark@pcid.UUCP (mark hilliard) (08/25/88)

I have been using the Deskjet printer for several months now with
Elan's Eroff package.  It leaves a LOT to be desired.  HP has advertised
the Deskjet as a low cost alternative to a Laserjet printer, but this is
misleading.  The Deskjet will NOT do reverse line feeds past 1 or
2 lines, thus will NOT do ANY type of graphics other than a
rasterized image from the top down.  I am really upset with HP for putting
out 1/2 of a printer (I'm told that HP did this to avoid impacting their
Laserjet II sales).  Elan provides version 2.2 of Eroff with
Deskjet support, but the only things that you can do is standard
text printing with font cart's or downloadable fonts (which you can only
use 1/2 of because Elan didn't build Eroff to take advantage of all of the
Deskjet's abilities for softfonts.  If all you are going to do is use the
Deskjet for GOOD quality text printing then Eroff and the  Deskjet is for
you, but if you want to use pic, grap, tbl, or ANY other troff
pre-processor with the Deskjet and Eroff forget it.

Come on guys (HP and Elan), sales could really be booming if you could
put together a TOTAL package for the thousands of people who want
troff and can't afford the Laserjet printer.

Mark Hilliard                   (u1100a,ethos,lazlo)!gizzmo-\
Eastman Kodak                         rutgers!rochester!kodak!pcid!mark

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (08/25/88)

In article <114@pcid.UUCP> mark@pcid.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:
>Deskjet for GOOD quality text printing then Eroff and the  Deskjet is for
>you, but if you want to use pic, grap, tbl, or ANY other troff
>pre-processor with the Deskjet and Eroff forget it.
>

>Come on guys (HP and Elan), sales could really be booming if you could
>put together a TOTAL package for the thousands of people who want
>troff and can't afford the Laserjet printer.

Hmm! I find it strange that you could afford Elan's software but not
the Laserjet.

At any rate, lots of people can't afford Elan's software or the Laserjet.

I just ordered a Deskjet tech ref., so I'll be adjusting the JetRoff
package to handle the Deskjet as well.  JetRoff is on its way to the
moderator of comp.sources.misc.
--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

wunder@hp-sde.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (08/27/88)

   The Deskjet will NOT do reverse line feeds past 1 or 2 lines, thus
   will NOT do ANY type of graphics other than a rasterized image from
   the top down.  I am really upset with HP for putting out 1/2 of a
   printer (I'm told that HP did this to avoid impacting their Laserjet
   II sales).

Whoever told you that is wrong.  The printer RAM is limited because
RAM is expensive.  The printer lists at $995, and street price is just
over $700.  If you work out the normal multiples, an additional $20 or
$40 of RAM makes a significant difference.

I seriously doubt that the DeskJet was handicapped to save LaserJet
sales.  In fact, if the DeskJet was much more expensive (more RAM) I
expect that people would buy LaserJet clones instead of the DeskJet.
After all, the LaserJet is faster, the printing is waterproof, tiny
dots don't flow together, bigger paper tray, existing fonts, etc.
Voila, no DeskJet sales.

If you think of the DeskJet as a turbo daisywheel printer (like the
original, non-downloadable LaserJet), you won't be disappointed.
It is *not* a typesetter, and was not designed to be a typesetter.

wunder

mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) (08/28/88)

In article <780001@hp-sde.SDE.HP.COM> wunder@hp-sde.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:

>   The Deskjet will NOT do reverse line feeds past 1 or 2 lines, thus
>   will NOT do ANY type of graphics other than a rasterized image from
>   the top down.  I am really upset with HP for putting out 1/2 of a
>   printer (I'm told that HP did this to avoid impacting their Laserjet
>   II sales).
>
>Whoever told you that is wrong.  The printer RAM is limited because
>RAM is expensive.  The printer lists at $995, and street price is just

Yes, I am sure that you are right, but you took me out of context. What I
said was that the Deskjet will not do graphics with Elan's Eroff system.
By itself, the deskjet does just fine on graphics.  I use it with
LOTS of graphic programs with no problems, but I WANT to use it with
grap and pic (Eroff)! Elan says that it will not work because of the
inability of the Deskjet to do REVERSE LINE FEEDS larger than a line or 2!
I have been told that HP has a new Prom for the Deskjet that fixes this
but will not release it to the public.

HELP!!!

wunder@hp-sde.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (08/29/88)

   Elan says that it will not work because of the inability of the
   Deskjet to do REVERSE LINE FEEDS larger than a line or 2!

The reason that the DeskJet can't back up in graphics is lack of RAM,
as I understand it.  Sorry that I didn't make that clear.  So, keeping
the price down means limiting RAM, and limiting RAM means that the
printer can only back up inside a narrow band (the previous line or
two).

   I have been told that HP has a new Prom for the Deskjet that fixes this
   but will not release it to the public.

It might be possible to fix it with a cartridge.  There are already
RAM cartridges for soft fonts, and and Epson emulation cartridge.

Though I work at HP, I have no idea what the printer people are up to,
so I can't speculate on what they may or may not be working on.  But,
if they are not releasing something, it is probably because it isn't
finished.

wunder

jvte@euraiv1.UUCP (Jan van 't Ent) (08/31/88)

> ... but will not release it to the public.
As a matter of fact, HP will not release technical info on the 'low
profile' DeskJet.  If you need to create your own symbols, and want
to use softfonts to do that, you're out of luck.  Only developers
with specific contracts can get the information needed.  Some text-
processors for scientific purposes (such as low cost ChiWriter) with
a LaserJet driver work only so long as you don't want anything extra
out of your DeskJet.  Apparantly HP figures anybody who wants more
ought to buy a real printer.
- Jan van 't Ent

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (09/01/88)

From article <780002@hp-sde.SDE.HP.COM>, by wunder@hp-sde.SDE.HP.COM

> The reason that the DeskJet can't back up in graphics is lack of RAM,
> as I understand it.

No, it simply will not move the paper in the reverse direction.
It has nothing to do with the RAM available.

> printer can only back up inside a narrow band (the previous line or
> two).

It can "back up" the height of the print head.  That is, one can print
anywhere within the scope of the print head, which is about 1/4 inch.

>    I have been told that HP has a new Prom for the Deskjet that fixes this
>    but will not release it to the public.

Teasers, they are! But seriously, my educated guess is
that moving the paper backwards might simply smear the ink.
So, it is, in effect, not a solution.

The DeskJet is a marvelous Daisy-Wheel replacement, but not anywhere
close to being a laser printer replacement.
--
Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.

david@sun.uucp (David DiGiacomo) (09/02/88)

In article <339@elan.UUCP> kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) writes:
>From article <780002@hp-sde.SDE.HP.COM>, by wunder@hp-sde.SDE.HP.COM
>>
>> The reason that the DeskJet can't back up in graphics is lack of RAM,
>> as I understand it.
>
>No, it simply will not move the paper in the reverse direction.
>It has nothing to do with the RAM available.

Laser printers cannot move the paper in the reverse direction, or stop the
paper once it is moving.  They "back up" by buffering some or all of the
page in RAM.  The DeskJet could use the same approach.
--
David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  sun!david david@sun.com

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (09/02/88)

In article <66638@sun.uucp> david@sun.uucp (David DiGiacomo) writes:

>Laser printers cannot move the paper in the reverse direction, or stop the
>paper once it is moving.  They "back up" by buffering some or all of the
>page in RAM.  The DeskJet could use the same approach.

Ummm, they left something out of the DeskJet to keep the price low
(otherwise you might as well but a laser).  Guess what it was....

Les Mikesell

jaap+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jaap Akkerhuis) (09/07/88)

>  The Deskjet will NOT do reverse line feeds past 1 or
> 2 lines, thus will NOT do etc.
If I'm not mistaken I seem to remember that the original ditroff distribution
contained the source of a program called dsort, which sorted the output of
troff, so it was garanteed to go in one direction.

Another program doing more or less the same can be found on the berkeley
distribution under the name vsort, since the versatec has no reverse line feeds
at all. The standard vsort sorts old troff output (actually C/A/T-code). But it
can probably adapted to the new troff output format without too much problems.

Sorting the troff output will solve the problems with reverse feeding as
apparently the deskjet has.

        jaap