[comp.text] nroff question

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (09/02/88)

Is there a way of making nroff ignore its default bold and italic settings?

Whenever the entries in the nterm/tab.XXX file are left blank,

	bdon ""
	bdoff ""
	iton ""
        itoff ""

nroff denotes italics by underlining characters and bold by striking three
times.

I would like to save my nroff'd man pages without the extra junk that cannot
be displayed in my terminals.  Can I make nroff forget about bold and
italics?

mpp@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Michael Palmquist) (09/10/88)

In article <13838@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> Is there a way of making nroff ignore its default bold and italic settings?
>
> I would like to save my nroff'd man pages without the extra junk that cannot
> be displayed in my terminals.  Can I make nroff forget about bold and
> italics?

Have you tried piping your nroff'ed document to col -b? If you do,
it basically strips out the bullshit you get with double and triple hammmering
of characters that nroff does with bold and italic.

	nroff -mm yourfile.m | col -b > newfile.x

newfile.x doesn't have the extra stuff.

mpp