[comp.text] TeX pronounciation

paul@polyof.UUCP (A1 Mr. Curran) (09/08/88)

	How does one pronounce the term "TeX."  There seem to be two
factions, one that says it's like TEK and another that says it's TEX
as in TEXas or TEXt.  If it's TEK howcome it's pronounced that way; I
can't think of any english words that sound X that way.  Also it would
seem more reasonable to say LATEX than LATEK.  Just curious.

-Pablos

pwp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (09/08/88)

The reason for the Tek pronounciation is discussed in the TeX book I
believe. It is from the Greek letter chi. Reading between the lines
it might possible have something to do with trade marks also. There
are also some connections with technology and text.

cje@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Cthulhu's Jersey Epopt) (09/08/88)

In article <374@polyof.UUCP> paul@polyof.UUCP (A1 Mr. Curran) writes:

> 	How does one pronounce the term "TeX."  There seem to be two
> factions, one that says it's like TEK and another that says it's TEX
> as in TEXas or TEXt.  If it's TEK howcome it's pronounced that way; I
> can't think of any english words that sound X that way.  Also it would
> seem more reasonable to say LATEX than LATEK.  Just curious.

The reason why "TeX" is pronounced "tek/tech/tecchh" is described on page 1 of
Knuth's THE TEXBOOK.

Around here, the factions are "lay-tech" vs. "lah-tech".  Lamport said he
wanted usage to determine the pronunciation, so he's no help.  I say "lay-tech"
because 1) the t-e-x root comes from "TeX" so I figure it should be pronounced
that way, and 2) the full word looks like the word "latex" ("lay-tex"), so I
figure the first syllable should similarly have the long "a".

Question for the factions out there in French-speaking countries: how is it
pronounced in French?  "la lah-tech"?  "le lah-tech"?  "la lay-tech"?  "le
lay-tech"?
--
Yog-Sothoth Neblod Zin,

Chris Jarocha-Ernst
UUCP: {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss, seismo}!rutgers!elbereth.rutgers.edu!cje
ARPA: JAROCHAERNST@CANCER.RUTGERS.EDU

drstrip@intvax.UUCP (David R. Strip) (09/08/88)

From the TeX book
" Insiders pronounce the \chi of TeX as a Greek chi, not as an "x", so that TeX
rhymes with the word blecchhh; it's the `ch' sound in Scottish words like
{\em loch} or German words like [\em ach}; it's a Spanish `j' and a Russian
`kh'. When you say it correctly to your computer, the terminal may become
slightly moist."

Now, for bonus credit: the word `blecchhh' looks suspiciously like something
from mad magazine. What is the connection between Mad and DEK?

David Strip. (drstrip@sandia-2.arpa)
{ucbvax, rice, lanl, gatech}!unmvax!intvax!drstrip

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/08/88)

In article <374@polyof.UUCP> paul@polyof.UUCP (A1 Mr. Curran) writes:
> 	How does one pronounce the term "TeX."

	The official line is something along these lines.  The spelling of
TeX is not actually Tee-Eee-Eks, but the Greek Tau-Epsilon-Chi and is
pronounced Tech which sort of rhymes with bleech.  Personally I think
that's absurd and just pronounce it either tek (rhymes with heck) or teks
(rhymes with sex).
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

bamford@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Harold E. Bamford) (09/08/88)

In article <374@polyof.UUCP> paul@polyof.UUCP (A1 Mr. Curran) writes:

>	How does one pronounce the term "TeX."  There seem to be two
>factions, one that says it's like TEK and another that says it's TEX
>as in TEXas or TEXt.  If it's TEK howcome it's pronounced that way; I
>can't think of any english words that sound X that way.  Also it would
>seem more reasonable to say LATEX than LATEK.  Just curious.

According to Knuth's book on TeX, the word is pronounced with a "K"
sound on the end except that it is accompanied with a lot of
exhalation.  In fact, he says that saying the word will cause your
terminal to become slightly moist!  As to why:  the letters are really
Greek letters, not Roman...

OK, I've got my asbestos suit on -- turn on the SILLY FLAMERS!!!

les@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Les Earnest) (09/09/88)

In article <Sep.8.09.09.55.1988.1942@elbereth.rutgers.edu>
cje@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Cthulhu's Jersey Epopt) writes:
>I say "lay-tech"
>because 1) the t-e-x root comes from "TeX" so I figure it should be pronounced
>that way, and 2) the full word looks like the word "latex" ("lay-tex"), so I
>figure the first syllable should similarly have the long "a".

It is usually pronounced "la tech" around the Stanford Computer Science
Department.

Les Earnest                                  Phone: 415 723-9729
Internet: Les@Sail.Stanford.edu              USMail: Computer Science Dept.
UUCP: . . . decwrl!Sail.Stanford.edu!Les             Stanford, CA 94305

halvers@iraq.steinmetz (Pete Halverson) (09/09/88)

In article <374@polyof.UUCP> paul@polyof.UUCP (A1 Mr. Curran) writes:

>	How does one pronounce the term "TeX."  There seem to be two
>factions, one that says it's like TEK and another that says it's TEX
>as in TEXas or TEXt.  If it's TEK howcome it's pronounced that way; I
>can't think of any english words that sound X that way.  Also it would
>seem more reasonable to say LATEX than LATEK.  Just curious.

From "The TeXbook" (Don Knuth, Addison-Wesley), p. 1:

  "English words like 'technology' stem from a Greek root beginning
  with the letters [<Tau> <Epsilon> <Chi>]...; and this same Greek
  word means art as well as technology.  Hence the name TeX, which
  is an uppercase form of [this].

  Insiders pronounce the [<Chi>] of TeX as a Greek chi, not as an
  `x', so that TeX rhymes with the word blecchhh.  It's the `ch'
  sound in Scottish words like "loch" or German words like "ach";
  it's a Spanish `j' and a Russian `kh'.  When you say it correctly
  to your computer, the terminal may become slightly moist.

  ...In fact, TEX (pronounced "tecks") is the admirable "Text EXecutive"
  processor developed by Honeywell INformation Systems."

And from the "LaTeX User's Guide and Reference Manual" (Les Lamport,
Addison-Wesley), p. 5:

  "TeX is usually pronounced "teck", making "*lah*-teck",
  "lah-*teck*", and "*lay*-teck" the logical choices; but language
  is not always logical, so "*lay*-tecks" is also possible.

Quotes included without permission.

>-Pablos

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Pete Halverson                       ARPA: halverson@ge-crd.ARPA
GE Corporate R&D Center	             UUCP: uunet!steinmetz!iraq!halvers
Schenectady, NY				   halvers@iraq.steinmetz.UUCP
"IBM supports UNIX like a rope supports a hanged man" -- net quote

tsf@arizona.edu (Ted Frohling @ CCIT-Telcommunications, University of Arizona) (09/09/88)

I quote from page 1 of the TeXbook, by Knuth:

"Insiders pronounce the x of TeX as a Greek chi, not as an `x', so that
TeX rhymes with the word blecchhh.  It's the `ch' sond in Scottish words
like *loch* or German words like *ach*; it's a Spanish `j' and a Russian
`kh'.  When you say it correctly to your computer, the terminal may become
slighlty moist."

--
Ted Frohling                               Internet: tsf@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu
Network Support                            BITNET:   tsf@arizrvax.BITNET

shebs@Apple.COM (Stan Shebs) (09/10/88)

In article <599@intvax.UUCP> drstrip@intvax.UUCP (David R. Strip) writes:

>What is the connection between Mad and DEK?

I have a 10-20th hand copy of a couple pages from Mad featuring the "Potrzebie
System of Weights and Measures", which came from a Don Knuth of Milwaukee (who
is described as also having two heads...).  I guessed it was DEK (the contents
had a familiar "look and feel" :-) ), but no verification, and the pages had
no date; can anyone supply a date and maybe other details?

							stan shebs
							shebs@apple.com

mitch@Stride.COM (Thomas Mitchell) (09/10/88)

In article <374@polyof.UUCP> paul@polyof.UUCP (A1 Mr. Curran) writes:

>	How does one pronounce the term "TeX."

The answer is Chapt 1 of "The TeXbook" Donald E. Knuth 1984;
(ISBN 0-201-13448-9)

Hints:
	TeX rhymes with blecchhh.
	"When you say it correctly to your computer, the terminal may
	     become slightly moist."

--
Thomas P. Mitchell (mitch@stride1.Stride.COM)
Phone: (702)322-6868	TWX: 910-395-6073	FAX: (702)322-7975

bmacintyre@watsol.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (09/10/88)

In article <374@polyof.UUCP> paul@polyof.UUCP (A1 Mr. Curran) writes:

>	How does one pronounce the term "TeX."  There seem to be two
>factions, one that says it's like TEK and another that says it's TEX
>as in TEXas or TEXt.  If it's TEK howcome it's pronounced that way; I
>can't think of any english words that sound X that way.  Also it would
>seem more reasonable to say LATEX than LATEK.  Just curious.

It's TEK and LATEK ... why?  The reasons are deep and shrouded in mystery ...
( read: it says so in the manual :-)

Blair "really, that's what it said" MacIntyre
= Mr. Blair MacIntyre (bmacintyre@watsol.waterloo.edu)                        =
= < this space closed for repairs ... >                                       =
= Opinions? What are they? Are they expensive? Where can I get one?           =

pierre@imag.imag.fr (Pierre LAFORGUE) (09/10/88)

In article <374@polyof.UUCP> paul@polyof.UUCP (A1 Mr. Curran) writes:

>	How does one pronounce the term "TeX."  There seem to be two
>factions, one that says it's like TEK and another that says it's TEX
>as in TEXas or TEXt.  If it's TEK howcome it's pronounced that way; I
>can't think of any english words that sound X that way.

Well guessed ! So, it is not an english word, and not even an english
characters word. The letters are the uppercase greek Tau Epsilon Chi.
Most english computer systems are still unable to talk (display, transfer, etc.)
languages other than english. Unix for example makes a bad use of the 8th bit
(except in new SV3.x), some communication equipments want the 8th bit be a
parity one or modify it, ...
Hopefully, the uppercase letters TEX look near english letters.
Of course, all systems are able to write non english languages, for instance
from TEX documents, with a lot of efforts (use of metafont, new hyphenation
systems not based on a dictionnary for languages more cartesian than the
english, problem of the foreign characters bad implemented by ligatures, etc.)
I think Pr Donald Knuth wanted to underline this ability by naming TEX with
greek letters ! Please read the TeX book about that.

>Also it would seem more reasonable to say LATEX than LATEK.  Just curious.

Do you unlike word jokes ? LATEX is the LAmpson's TEX, not a gumtree product.
--
Pierre LAFORGUE
pierre@imag.imag.fr      pierre@imag.UUCP      uunet.uu.net!imag!pierre

al@mtcs.UUCP (Al Fontes) (09/14/88)

I don't care what any "insiders" say.  "Tex", like the guy on the horse,
and "Latex", like the material used to make condoms.  If it should be
pronounced "tech", then spell it that way.

By the way, I don't think that the English language (which does not use
Greek letters) allows such spellings as LaTeX, TeX, or dBASE.

chpf127@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Eaton) (09/15/88)

In article <174@mtcs.UUCP>, al@mtcs.UUCP (Al Fontes) writes:
> I don't care what any "insiders" say.  "Tex", like the guy on the horse...

  No, I think the guy on the horse was Tom Mix (pronounced m\u{i}ks),
  and that TeX really does rhyme with blecchh.

  If you don't get this, go pick up a copy of The_Art_of_Computer
  Programming, Volume 1 :-).

  J. Eaton                                        Not really doing anything
  UT Austin Department of Chemical Engineering               with chemicals.

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (09/15/88)

In article <174@mtcs.UUCP> al@mtcs.UUCP (Al Fontes) writes:
>I don't care what any "insiders" say.  "Tex", like the guy on the horse,
>and "Latex", like the material used to make condoms.  If it should be
>pronounced "tech", then spell it that way.
>
>By the way, I don't think that the English language (which does not use
>Greek letters) allows such spellings as LaTeX, TeX, or dBASE.

But, my friend, none of these are ENGLISH WORDS, but rather PROPER NAMES.
As such, they are not subject to the constraints of either English spelling
or English pronunciation.

I guess, ultimately no-one cares how you or I or anyone else pronounces
these names, except when trying to communicate with someone who holds a
different view, and therefor does not know what you are talking about :-).

UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Donald Hosek) (09/18/88)

TeX is pronounced "Tech" (as in technology). Anybody who calls it Teks (as
in Texas) is wrong. In the first chapter of the TeXbook, Knuth explains why
its pronounced the way it is, in short (1) It isn't really t-e-x, it's tau-
epsilon-chi (thus the capitalized X), as in the greek word texnos meaning
both art and science (I may be a little off, I'm going from memory here).
(2) the name Tex is already taken.

-dh

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (09/19/88)

}
}	The official line is something along these lines.  The spelling of
}TeX is not actually Tee-Eee-Eks, but the Greek Tau-Epsilon-Chi and is
}pronounced Tech which sort of rhymes with bleech.

I know this thread is (thankfully) dead, but let me point out that this
whole folk etymology Knuth goes through, greek letters and other such
nonsense to steer clear of a Honeywell product, is surely a bit suspect
around the edges.  Consider your chances if you decided to call your
little software firm "Irving's Better Modules" and then made your
company logo IbM (that's Iota/Beta/Mu).  I ain't a lawyer, and this
ain't misc.legal, but this has always seemed legally bogus to me (not
to mention cutesy and contrived).  Either Knuth didn't NEED Honeywell's
permission (the name wasn't trademarked, for example), or Honeywell
_gave_ their permission -- in either case the "it's all Greek" shaggy
dog story is extraneous, no?

[Note that this has nothing to do with the *pronunciation* of "TeX" -- DEK
can try to get people to pronounce it any way he wants... I just wish he
would have spared us the Greek disgression]

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (09/19/88)

In article <29780@bbn.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>I know this thread is (thankfully) dead,

Not anymore.  :-)

>but let me point out that this whole folk etymology Knuth goes through,
>greek letters and other such nonsense to steer clear of a Honeywell
>product,

Why assume that the purpose is `to steer clear of a Honeywell product'?
It seems to me, having seen other examples of Knuth's humour, that the
reason for the `folk etymology' is because Knuth likes tieing technology
and history and languages and typesetting all together into a Gordian
Knot.  (See if you can spot both Knuth-ism in the previous sentence.)

>is surely a bit suspect around the edges.

Finding the *real* edges will surely keep you on your toes.  But Knuth
obviously likes it that way.

>... in [any] case the "it's all Greek" shaggy dog story is extraneous, no?

Partly.  Note that TeX is written in WEB, and WEB is translated to TeX
by `weave'.  The Greek `teknologos' (if I have not mangled it too badly),
a computer word if there ever was one, is spelled tau-epsilon-chi-etc.
But the Latin imperative form of `to weave' is spelled `texe'!

See how neatly it all folds in upon itself?  :-)