[comp.text] how to get TeX, LaTex

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (09/20/88)

I am in need of bringing up TeX and LaTeX on a vanilla 4.3 BSD VAX.
(We've never needed TeX before, being troff-users, but we've just
gotten the ISODE-4.0 release and their 800+ page manual is in LaTeX
format, so its time to bite the bullet.)  What's the easiest way to
do this ??

- We're connected to uunet, and I see a TeX release is there (22 Mb worth).
- I've also heard of a UNIX release tape from U. Washington.
- Would the TeX at uunet include LaTeX ??
- We have PostScript LaserWriters, so I assume we'd need the dvi2ps
	program also ??
- Is TeX still written in Pascal, and if so, can I assume the 4.3 BSD
	pascal compiler is adequate ??

Thanks for any leads.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
	   stevens@hsi.uu.net
           ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (09/21/88)

In article <166@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
>I am in need of bringing up TeX and LaTeX on a vanilla 4.3 BSD VAX.
I have to bring up TeX/LaTeX for a System V UNIX system, with PostScript
printers. So, we *should* have the same problem :-) .

>- We're connected to uunet, and I see a TeX release is there (22 Mb worth).
Is there a version in Europe? (Sorry, I'm not on the Internet).

>- I've also heard of a UNIX release tape from U. Washington.
Me too. Does it include the same things as the UUNET stuff?

>- Would the TeX at uunet include LaTeX ??
The U. Washington distribution does (I only have a more general overview).

>- We have PostScript LaserWriters, so I assume we'd need the dvi2ps
>	program also ??
In the U. Washington distribution is a (I don't know which) driver for
PostScript printers, if I understand the mailing correctly.

Please let anyone having "the total overview" of TeX distributions
post it. And be clear about languages and needed compilers!
It will help a lot of people, I think.

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######