[comp.text] Refer <--> BibTeX

nick@marvax.berkeley.edu (nicholas socci) (09/22/88)

I am looking for programs that will convert BibTeX format bibliography
files to Refer format files and the reverse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please reply to nick@marvax.berkeley.edu

Thanks.

toms@ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (09/22/88)

In article <26177@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> nick@marvax.berkeley.edu
(nicholas socci) writes:
>I am looking for programs that will convert BibTeX format bibliography
>files to Refer format files and the reverse.

I have a program that will convert refer->bibtex, but it doesn't handle
everything.  There is a powerful way to do the conversion in the
other direction: BiBTeX itself!  It turns out that the '.bst' file is actually
a program in a pretty little postfix language.  You can do anything you want
with the tokens from a reference - like convert to refer format.  One would
have to create the requests for the references, this could easily be done
by a program that scanned your reference database and produced the correct
'.aux' file.  Documentation on the bibtex language is called btxdoc.tex,
and (might) be with your latex distribution, or you can get it from me.
If you do this, let me know!!
  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology