[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V88 #84

TeXhax@Score.Stanford.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (09/26/88)

TeXhax Digest   Monday, September 26, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 84

Moderator: Malcolm Brown

Today's Topics:

                         Metafont and bitmaps
                     conversion of refer database
                              APA style
                             EEL for TeX
              processing .idx files / \myheadings bug ?
                          TeX for the Amiga
               Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #81 (LaTeX notes)
                         RE: dates in letters
                     Re: TeX mystery (TeXhax #79)
                         Re: date in letters
                              TeX on FAX
                Re: book design (TeXhax 88.78 and 81)
                       LaTeX Question: \itemsep
                            Boxes in LaTeX
                          Letter Style File
                 Postscript, figures, and typesetters
          Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #82 (``small capitalists'')
     Problem installing TeX on a 3B2/400 (TeXhax Digest V88 #80)
                        HYPHEN_NEDERLANDS.TeX
                       murdered footnote macros

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 88 08:25:22 pdt
From: mcdonald%loki.edsg@hac2arpa.hac.com (louis mcdonald)
Subject: Metafont and bitmaps

    Does anyone have a good methodology for converting a bitmap to a font
    using Metafont.

    Louis McDonald

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 88 11:54:45 EDT
From:         Oliver Yang <YANGPB%UOTTAWA.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      conversion of refer database

I was reading Peter King's mail article (Aug 26) with interest.
I am a beginner in TeX and LaTeX. I already have a big investment
in refer database from a previous institute.
In the new institute here, LaTeX and TeX are not available in the
Unix Operating System, but is available under CMS. Can you give
me a copy of Peter King's file and tell me the conversion procedure.

Thank you very much.
Oliver

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 88 12:04:58 EDT
From: Holly Chen <chen-holly@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: APA style

Is there a preexisting style page which was designed for APA papers.
I know about the APA-style bibliography at Rochester.  I'm looking for
the page that will do everything required by the APA (like the correct
method of labeling sections, spacing paragraphs, making running heads,
etc.).

If one doesn't exist, I need something that would change the way section
headings are produced by LaTeX.  They all must be the same size as the
rest of the text.  The section headings need to be centered, the subsection
headings need to be left justified, and the subsubsection headings need
to be left-justified and underlined.

Thanks a lot.

Holly Chen

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 21 Sep 88 11:54 EST
From:         Jeff Rummel <RUMMEL%DUKEFSB.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      EEL for TeX

I use epsilon (an emacs look-alike) to prepare TeX documents and it has
a C-like extension language called EEL.  I noticed a subdirectory called
MSDOS.EEL on the listserv at rpicicge and looked at it to find all the
macros written that might speed my TeX work, but alas the directory was
empty.  Is there any place else where EEL macros might be found on the
network?  I'd like to avoid wheel reinvention.

Thanks.

Jeff Rummel -- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business
               Bitnet: RUMMEL@DUKEFSB

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 88 12:09 EDT
From: "SDRRTR::PSI%PRSRTR::PSI%SCRVX2::BLUE::IN%\"'m_mailnow::m_sdr::davis'@scr-gateway\"%sdr.slb.com"@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: processing .idx files / \myheadings bug ?

1) can anyone tell me anything about the system that allows .idx files
generated by a \makeindex command in LaTeX to be subsequently used
within a `theindex' environment ? I believe there is some kind of
postprocessor which converts the .idx files into a version with \item
entries. Replies direct to me (and the list if you wish) - this is
urgent.

2) A LaTeX document using the myheadings pagestyle on a PC version of
LaTeX prints headings created within the document. This does not
happen on the VAX/VMS or Unix versions 2.09. latex.tex includes
commented-out definitions of @rhead and @lhead that have been
re-introduced within the PC version that a colleague is using. There
is a comment to the effect that \head is an obsolete argument used by
the myheadings pagestyle - this was added in, I recall, July 1985. Can
somebody tell me what's happening - myheadings seems to fail because
of this. Can these few lines be uncommented safely ? Or is there new
code for this style ?

Paul Davis
Schlumberger Cambridge Research
Cambridge, England

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 88 11:03:34 PDT
From: Tomas G. Rokicki <rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: TeX for the Amiga

TeX for the Amiga is available from:
	Radical Eye Software  (415) 32-AMIGA
	Box 2081   Stanford, CA~~94309

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 88 12:01:13 PDT
From: lamport@src.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #81 (LaTeX notes)

R. David Murray  writes:

   I am running version
     % LATEX VERSION 2.09 - RELEASE OF 19 April 1986
   of LaTeX, and I find I must use \endtrivlist rather than the
   documented \end{trivlist} in defining new environments if
   I want paragraph indentation to be handled correctly after the
   environment.  (Using (2) yeilds indent regardless of whether
   the \end{xxx} is followed by a blank line or text.)  Is this a
   bug and if so has it already been fixed?

Hmmm...  I don't remember fixing this, and I couldn't find it mentioned
in LATEX.BUG, but it works right when I try it.  Perhaps it fixed itself.

Leslie Lamport

------------------------------

From: herbison%ultra.DEC@decwrl.dec.com
Date: 21 Sep 88 16:47
Subject: RE: dates in letters

In TeXhax Digest V88 #81, Tom Schneider writes:

> A little while ago I asked how to make LaTeX do dates the way I want.
> The simplest, cleanest solution was given by loh@stat.wisc.edu (Wei-Yin Loh):
>> \renewcommand{\today}{May 6, 1901}
> This one is nice, since I can do it the way I prefer:
> \renewcommand{\today}{1908 May 6}

That works, if you specify the date explicitly in each document
and change it whenever you edit the document.  It is possible to
make a generic definition of \today that uses your desired format:

%
% The current date in the form `1959 November 28'
%
\def\today{\number\year\space\ifcase\month\or
January\or February\or March\or April\or May\or June\or
July\or August\or September\or October\or November\or December\fi
\space\number\day}

						B.J.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 00:15:28 BST
From: CET1%phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Re: TeX mystery (TeXhax #79)

Robert Messer asks why the \hrule in the table generated by

\halign{&#\cr
\noalign{\hrule}
a&b\cr
c&\span\cr}

is only as wide as the `a', rather than as wide as `ab'. The awnser is
that the alignment has three columns, and in the notation of p.245 of
the TeXbook:

   w_{11} = width(a) ; w_{22} = width(b) ; w_{23} = 0

with all other values -\infty. This leads to the column widths being

   w_1 = width(a) ; w_2 = width(b) ; w_3 = -width(b)

as all the tabskip glue is of zero size. The total width of the \halign
is w_1+w_2+w_3 = width(a), and this is the width assigned to the \hrule.

The moral is: ``columns in an \halign may have a negative width''.

Chris Thompson
JANET: cet1@uk.ac.cam.phx
ARPA:  cet1%phx.cam.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 10:54:33 +0100
From: mcvax!ruuinf!piet@uunet.UU.NET (Piet van Oostrum)
Subject: Re: date in letters

    When I use the LaTeX letter environment I automatically have a date
    supplied.  But the date given is always today, not the day that I
    wrote and sent the letter, so if I print out a copy of the letter
    later I get the wrong date.  I cannot locate anyplace in the manual
    that says how to over ride this (under date or letter or today or
    whatever), or even how to prevent the date from showing (so that I can
    insert my own).  So: how do I prevent dates or over ride the default?
    \date{mydate} doesn't work.  Tom Schneider toms@ncifcrf.gov

Here is a piece of TeX code (that also works with LaTeX) that saves the date
a document 'paper.tex' is run the first time through (La)TeX in a file
'paper.date'. All subsequent runs the date is read back from that file.

%------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ % This group is necessary to save the old meaning of file descriptor 0
  \openin 0 = \jobname.date
  \ifeof 0 \immediate\openout 0 = \jobname.date
           \immediate\write 0 {\today}
           \immediate\closeout 0
  \else \global\read 0 to \today
  \fi
  \closein 0
}
%------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Telephone: +31-30-531806              UUCP: ...!mcvax!ruuinf!piet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 05:30:54 CDT
From: Scott Guthery <spar!ascway!guthery@decwrl.dec.com>
Subject: TeX on FAX

Does anyone know of a DVI->FAX puppy?

------------------------------

From:       Wujastyk <UCGADKW%EUCLID.UCL.AC.UK@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Date:       Thu, 22 Sep 88 14:10
Subject:    Re: book design (TeXhax 88.78 and 81)

The "Chicago Manual of Style" for book design, which Bernie Cosell
asks about, is probably Hugh Williamson's _Methods of Book Design_
(New Haven: Yale Univ. Press, 3rd edition 1983).  There are several
other good books of this ilk, including Ruari Maclean's, which is considered
a minor classic too.

These authors are addressing design directly, from the background of
traditional book production.  In TeXhax 88.81 Lamport refers to "constraints
placed by automated formatting systems", and the Williamson and Maclean
do not address these restraints, whatever they are.  But I think it is a
great mistake to make such restraints a starting point:  we should
try to produce books that are as beautiful as possible, and make the
software somehow obey us, not the other way round.

Given the comprehensiveness and sensitivity of Williamsilliamson's book, and
others, I don't think there is a need for a new book on the subject by
a computer scientist.  Williamson has spent his entire life _making_
book after book after book.  He _really_ understands what he is talking
about.  You know--deep down.

Dominik Wujastyk

------------------------------

From: Z3000PA%AWITUW01.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
SUBJECT: LaTeX Question: \itemsep
DATE: 22 SEP 88 16:24:46

Page 113 of my LaTeX Manual tells me that the vertical separation between
list items is \itemsep .
The comments in my file ARTICLE.DOC and my own experience tell me that
it is \itemsep + \parskip .
Have I got a wrong (old) version of the LaTeX Manual?
Or have I got wrong (old) versions of LATEX.TEX and ARTICLE.STY?
   Hubert Partl, Technical University of Vienna (Austria)
   z3000pa@awituw01.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 22 SEP 88 12:22-
From: BARTHO%CGEUGE54.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Boxes in LaTeX

I also have problems with boxes in Latex, as described by Russel Fulton
in texhax v88i80, although it appears differently :

Basicaly, I want 2 columns of boxes aligned at the top and containing
various amount of text (from less than the column width to many lines),
some thing like :

 +----------------+   +--------------------------------------+
 +                +   +                                      +
 +----------------+   +                                      +
                      +                                      +
                                                                  <=== ???
 +----------------+   +--------------------------------------+
 +                +   +                                      +
    etc.

so i build the macro

  \newcommand{\bref}[2]{\parbox[t]{4cm}{#1}\hspace{8mm}{\parbox[t]{10cm}{#2}}

and use it as
  \bref{some text for the left box ...}{some for the right one ...}

  \bref{some other text for the ...}{etc ...}

  \bref{ ...

now averythings works right, and i get the 2 text well aligned at the top
etc.  The problem comes with the vertical space between two sets of boxes,
at the position indicated above with '<=== ???' .  If the text in each box
is less than the box width, then the spacing is correct.  if it is more than
the box width, then the spacing is much too small and i have to add a
\\[-2mm] or so to get the correct spacing after the call to \bref (this
depends of course on the character size and \baselinestretch).

The same error appear if i replace one or both \parbox with \begin{minipage}

I also tryed to add a \\ after each call to \bref (and without the intermediate
blank line) etc.  In all cases the intermediate vertical space was either
too large or too small.

In fact i wanted this space to correspond to an interparagraph skip (as
defined by \parskip) whatever this one is, and this is the original for the
blank line between the call to \bref.

I am shure i did not understood some of the fundamental of boxes in LaTeX,
and the similar problem of Russel let me think that some more explanation
will be usefull for many of us.  Thank you very much in advance.

                                          Paul Bartholdi

          bartho@cgeuge54.bitnet       Observatoire de Geneve
                                       CH-1290 Sauverny
                                       Switzerland

------------------------------

Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 88 08:07:15 PDT
From:      "Network Mailer" <Mailer@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject:      Letter Style File

I wish to adapt the letter.sty file to allow for headed stationary.
If the letter runs to more than one page I do not want the the space
left for the header on subsequent pages as in the first page.  Has anyone
already devised a solution for this request?

           Vivian Harrington,
           Computer Centre,
           University College Dublin,
           Ireland.

------------------------------

From: harrison%mahogany.Berkeley.EDU@Berkeley.EDU (Michael Harrison)
Subject: Postscript, figures, and typesetters
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 08:03:07 PDT

We normally use TeX or LaTeX for papers, books,etc and use psfig
for placement of illustrations.
Printing is done through dvi2ps to LaserWriters.  Our version, written
by Van Jacobson, allows use of native LW fonts.
We use PostScript for illustrations -- one way or another.

The Problem:
-----------

Recently we had to prepare a paper for a conference. (In fact, a document
processing conference to add insult to injury.)
This was prepared as usual with no difficulty.
Output on the LW was fine so we took the output PostScript file on a MAC
diskette to a local
copy shop which has a Linotronics 300 PS printer.
The output was fine except that the only PS figure was
rotated 90 degrees and translated
into the wrong column of the two column output.
The deadline (and the $5 per page price) prevented us from hacking the PS
code on the spot to make something work.  After all the experience we thought
we had, we ended up with glue!

Question
--------

Has anyone patched dvi2ps to work on both LWs and some PS typesetter?
Are there any substitute drivers which solve this problem?

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 23 Sep 88 00:16:54 EDT
From: Philippa Matheson <AMPHORAS%vm.epas.utoronto.ca@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #82 (``small capitalists'')

The suggestion in Dan Bernstein's submission is that small cap
fonts are available, though we `Adobe-class do-it-yourself
``typesetters'' ' are failing to use them.  *Is* there a computer
modern small cap font for MicroTex and/or PC TeX, and how do I
get it?

--- Philippa MW Matheson, amphoras@vm.epas.utoronto.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 22:04:32 PDT
From: mackay@june.cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: Problem installing TeX on a 3B2/400 (TeXhax Digest V88 #80)

It is hard to diagnose this sort of thing blind, but the overflow
of a switch table suggests to me that you have a case statement
with too many nn, nn, nn: entries in succession.  That can easily happen
with the macro constructs for case statements in parts of TeX and
TeXware.  It happened to me in trying to write GFto** utility change files
which regularly broke yacc, when yacc was asked to parse case statements
in which 165 entries led into the one lot of code.  (gftopk.web even has
the macro "one_sixty_five_cases".)  The answer is to break up the sequence
of case entries.  Either have a moderate number of case entries lead into
duplicated code,

	sixty_four_cases(some_byte_or_other): begin do_something end;
        sixty_four_cases(some_byte_or_other+64): begin do_something end;

in place of

	one_twenty_eight_cases(some_byte_or_other): begin do_something end;

or split them up and replace "begin do_something end" with a simple
statement which sets a boolean flag, and use the flag to trigger
"do_something" just after the end_cases for that lot.

I can't guarantee that this is the answer, but when the diagnostics
say that a switch table overflowed, it seems like a good bet.

Email:  mackay@june.cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computer Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Lewis Hall, Mail Stop DW10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 14:46:17 GMT
From: prlb2!kulcs!kulesat!kulmath!vanroose@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Vanroose)
Subject: HYPHEN_NEDERLANDS.TeX

In de previous TeXhax issue, Theo de Klerk (klerk%ijsapl.DEC@decwrl.dec.com)
asks:

>    To implement a proper version of LaTeX on our machines, I'd like
>    to know if there is any dutch hyphenation pattern for TeX available
>    anywhere in netland.

Some time ago, I constructed the file HYPHEN_NEDERLANDS.TeX , which works
fairly well.  It is even a lot smaller than HYPHEN.TeX; this is not so
stange, because the splitting rules in dutch are rather strict and consistent.
The only caveat is, that compound words (and those are in principle unlimited
in dutch) are sometimes not splitted right.  This of course can be cured by
inserting `\-'s in the text itself.  Fortunately, this is not happening
too much.  It can be remarked that newspapers seem to have the same
``compound word splitting'' problem with their automatic splitter.

Installation:

Replace the file HYPHEN.TEX by the one given below.
Run initex on the preferred format (e.g. PLAIN.TEX or LPLAIN.TEX).
Rename the output .FMT file : e.g. PLAIN.FMT ---> PLAIN_NEDERLANDS.FMT
Replace the original HYPHEN.TEX.
Define the commands nTeX   as ``TeX &plain_nederlands'',
                    nLaTeX as ``TeX &lplain_nederlands''.

                                                   Peter Vanroose
                                                   Department of Mathematics,
                                                   K.U. Leuven, Belgium.
                                                   VANROOSE@kulmath.uucp

=========================HYPHEN_NEDERLANDS.TEX================================
\patterns{
a1o % consecutive vowels, no diphthong
e1a
e1o
i1a
i5i
i1o
o1a
u1a
u1e
a4a % double vowels or diphthong
a4i
a4u
e4e
e4i
e4u
i4e
o4e
o4o
o4o4i
o4u
u4i
u4u
c6h % never split between ch, ij and sch
i6j
s6ch2
6sch.
k2n % no splitting between kn, sm, sn, sp, st, str, spr, spl and th
s2m
s2n
s2p
s2t
s2t2r
s2p2r
s2p2l
t4h
2x     % no splitting before an x
.ve2r1 % some special cases
1pje.
te1ge2n1
.ach1te2r1
k2wart
k2wadr
s2fe
a4s1t % no splitting before st if preceeded by a vowel.
e4s1t
i4s1t
o4s1t
u4s1t
y4s1t
j4s1t
1ba % split before the last consonant preceeding a vowel,
1be % where vowel is:  a, e, i, o, u, y, and consonant:
1bi % b,c,d,f,g,h,j,k,l,m,n,p,q,r,s,t,v,w,z, ch, sch, st, str, spr, spl,
1bo % br,cr,dr,fr,gr,kr,pr,tr,vr,wr,chr,schr, bl,cl,fl,gl,kl,pl,sl,vl,chl
1bu
1by
1ca
1ce
1ci
1co
1cu
1cy
1cha
1che
1chi
1cho
1chu
1chy
1da
1de
1di
1do
1du
1dy
1fa
1fe
1fi
1fo
1fu
1fy
1ga
1ge
1gi
1go
1gu
1gy
1ha
1he
1hi
1ho
1hu
1hy
1ja
1je
1ji
1jo
1ju
1jy
1ka
1ke
1ki
1ko
1ku
1ky
1la
1le
1li
1lo
1lu
1ly
1ma
1me
1mi
1mo
1mu
1my
1na
1ne
1ni
1no
1nu
1ny
1pa
1pe
1pi
1po
1pu
1py
1qa
1qe
1qi
1qo
 q6u
1qy
1ra
1re
1ri
1ro
1ru
1ry
1sa
1se
1si
1so
1su
1sy
1scha
1sche
1schi
1scho
1schu
1schy
1ta
1te
1ti
1tu
1ty
1va
1ve
1vi
1vo
1vu
1vy
1wa
1we
1wi
1wo
1wu
1wy
1za
1ze
1zi
1zo
1zu
1zy
1b2la
1b2le
1b2li
1b2lo
1b2lu
1b2ly
1c2la
1c2le
1c2li
1c2lo
1c2lu
1c2ly
1ch2la
1ch2le
1ch2li
1ch2lo
1ch2lu
1ch2ly
1f2la
1f2le
1f2li
1f2lo
1f2lu
1f2ly
1g2la
1g2le
1g2li
1g2lo
1g2lu
1g2ly
1k2la
1k2le
1k2li
1k2lo
1k2lu
1k2ly
1p2la
1p2le
1p2li
1p2lo
1p2lu
1p2ly
1s2la
1s2le
1s2li
1s2lo
1s2lu
1s2ly
1s2p2la
1s2p2le
1s2p2li
1s2p2lo
1s2p2lu
1s2p2ly
1v2la
1v2le
1v2li
1v2lo
1v2lu
1v2ly
1b2ra
1b2re
1b2ri
1b2ro
1b2ru
1b2ry
1c2ra
1c2re
1c2ri
1c2ro
1c2ru
1c2ry
1ch2ra
1ch2re
1ch2ri
1ch2ro
1ch2ru
1ch2ry
1d2ra
1d2re
1d2ri
1d2ro
1d2ru
1d2ry
1f2ra
1f2re
1f2ri
1f2ro
1f2ru
1f2ry
1g2ra
1g2re
1g2ri
1g2ro
1g2ru
1g2ry
1k2ra
1k2re
1k2ri
1k2ro
1k2ru
1k2ry
1p2ra
1p2re
1p2ri
1p2ro
1p2ru
1p2ry
1sch2ra
1sch2re
1sch2ri
1sch2ro
1sch2ru
1sch2ry
1s2ta
1s2te
1s2ti
1s2to
1s2tu
1s2ty
1s2p2ra
1s2p2re
1s2p2ri
1s2p2ro
1s2p2ru
1s2p2ry
1s2t2ra
1s2t2re
1s2t2ri
1s2t2ro
1s2t2ru
1s2t2ry
1t2ra
1t2re
1t2ri
1t2ro
1t2ru
1t2ry
1v2ra
1v2re
1v2ri
1v2ro
1v2ru
1v2ry
1w2ra
1w2re
1w2ri
1w2ro
1w2ru
1w2ry
}
\hyphenation{ % some words frequently encountered in mathematics texts.
nog-al
rang-orde
volg-orde
wan-orde
wan-or-de-lijk
}
=====================end of HYPHEN_NEDERLANDS.TEX=============================

------------------------------

From:       Wujastyk <UCGADKW%EUCLID.UCL.AC.UK@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Date:       Fri, 23 Sep 88 10:48
Subject:    murdered footnote macros

I was very sorry to see that a mailer somewhere between euclid and
score had murdered my footnote macros in TeXhax 1988.82.  It doesn't
take a Hercule Poirot to discover the murder weapons: the opening
curly brace was killed by a comma and the closing brace was similarly
despatched by a hyphen.  Motive unknown.

Anyone using the fnpara.tex macros in the real world should set up
anonymous box counters for the boxes 0--2 used in the \makefootnoteparagraph
and \output macros.  I.e.,  say:

  \newbox\box@a
  \newbox\box@b
  \newbox\box@c

and then in the ouput routine say:

  \setbox\box@b=\vbox,\makefootnoteparagraph-\unvbox\box@b

and in the calculations say:

  \dim@a=\footnotebaselineskip \multiply\dim@a by 1024
  \divide \dim@a by \columnwidth \multiply\dim@a by 64
  \xdef\fudgefactor,\expandafter\getfactor\the\dim@a -

  \def\makefootnoteparagraph,\unvbox\footins \makehboxofhboxes
    \setbox\box@a=\hbox,\unhbox\box@a \removehboxes-
    \baselineskip=\footnotebaselineskip \noindent\unhbox\box@a\par-
  \def\makehboxofhboxes,\setbox\box@a=\hbox,-
    \loop\setbox\box@c=\lastbox
    \ifhbox\box@c \setbox\box@a=\hbox,\box\box@c\unhbox\box@a-\repeat-
  \def\removehboxes,\setbox\box@a=\lastbox
    \ifhbox\box@a,\removehboxes-\unhbox\box@a \fi-

This keeps TeX from tripping over its own feet.

Finally, here is a code chart, since the rogue mailer is probably
still out there, waiting, waiting ...

Upper case letters: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Lower case letters: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Digits: 0123456789
Square, curly, angle braces, parentheses: [] ,- <> ()
Backslash, slash, vertical bar: \ / |
Punctuation: . ? ! , : ;
Underscore, hyphen, equals sign: _ - =
Quotes--right left double: ' ` "
"at", "number" "dollar", "percent", "and": @ # $ % &
"hat", "star", "plus", "tilde": N * + ~

Dominik Wujastyk September 23, 1988
Janet:                  wujastyk@uk.ac.ucl.euclid
Bitnet/EARN/EAN/UUCP:   wujastyk@euclid.ucl.ac.uk
Internet/Arpa/CSNet:    dow@wjh12.harvard.edu

%%%
%%%     All others: send mail to
%%%           texhax-request@score.stanford.edu
%%%     please send a valid arpanet address!!
%%%
%%%
%%% All submissions to: texhax@score.stanford.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:      directory:  filename:
%%%   [SCORE.STANFORD.EDU]<TEX.TEXHAX>TEXHAXnn.yy
%%%      nn = issue number
%%%      yy = last two digits of current year
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------