[comp.text] DVItoVDU

townsend@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Mike Townsend) (10/19/87)

Does anyone out there know the whereabouts of a non - Modula-2 version of
Andrew Trevorrow's DVItoVDU?
	A document written by Trevorrow indicates that it could most easily be
ported to pascal.  Has anyone accomplished a port to pascal, or C, or
something else? If so, I'd be interested in finding out any details: language,
machine, and operating system, etc.
	The machine I intend to run this on is an Elxsi 6400 in any of the 3
environments we have: EMBOS (Elxsi Message Based Operating System), EMS (Elxsi
VMS), and BSD (Berkeley 4.2 Unix).
	Thanks.
						Mike Townsend
						312-702-9349
						Chicago, IL, USA
						townsend@oddjob.uchicago.edu
						...!ihnp4!oddjob!townsend
						townsend%oddjob@uchimvs1.bitnet

rcst8@eutrc3.UUCP (PJ Schoenmakers) (07/25/88)

Hi!

Currently, I'm busy (as practical work on our Univ.) porting the
DVItoVDU previewer (for TeX, ofcourse) from VMS to Ultrix (=unix).
As this doesn't seem to be much of a problem, it's almost finished.
BUT I have a problem:

All the sources were written by Andrew Trevorrow (at the University
of Adelaide?) and he has included very much comments about revisions
and that kind of stuff. So, my question to Andrew is about what to
do with these comments and things like that.

But, to ask him, I must contact him, and there's the _real_ problem.
Thus: QUESTION: Who knows the/a address of Andrew Trevorrow, preferrably
one on EARN/BITNET or UUCP??

Thanks in advance,

Pieter 'Tiggr' Schoenmakers

-"Would you like to have a PC?"
-"No, thanks. I'd rather have a Mac without a Mouse;
  Doesn't matter much in functionality, anyway."

dao@cs.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (07/30/88)

In article <250@eutrc3.UUCP> rcst8@eutrc3.UUCP (PJ Schoenmakers) writes:
>All the sources were written by Andrew Trevorrow (at the University
>of Adelaide?) and he has included very much comments about revisions
>and that kind of stuff. So, my question to Andrew is about what to
>do with these comments and things like that.
>
>But, to ask him, I must contact him, and there's the _real_ problem.
>Thus: QUESTION: Who knows the/a address of Andrew Trevorrow, preferrably
>one on EARN/BITNET or UUCP??

Andy is working temporarily at the University of Aston, UK, until
sometime in August, so if you're quick, you might just catch him
at the address
	TREVORROWAK%uk.ac.aston@UKACRL.BITNET

I discussed with Andy doing just such a port as you mention...
have you translated to another language, or are you using
a Unix Modula-2 compiler?

dave
--
David Osborne
Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK

rcst8@eutrc3.UUCP (PJ Schoenmakers) (08/01/88)

In article <2815@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk>, dao@cs.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) writes:
> In article <250@eutrc3.UUCP> rcst8@eutrc3.UUCP (PJ Schoenmakers) writes:

  ... stuff deleted ...

> >But, to ask him, I must contact him, and there's the _real_ problem.
> >Thus: QUESTION: Who knows the/a address of Andrew Trevorrow, preferrably
> >one on EARN/BITNET or UUCP??
>
> Andy is working temporarily at the University of Aston, UK, until
> sometime in August, so if you're quick, you might just catch him
> at the address
> 	TREVORROWAK%uk.ac.aston@UKACRL.BITNET
>
> I discussed with Andy doing just such a port as you mention...
> have you translated to another language, or are you using
> a Unix Modula-2 compiler?
>
> David Osborne

Well, thanks to all people who sent me info about Andrew.
About the question on the language: I just ported the Modula-2 version
to our VAX/Ultrix machine, without -I think- using any special VAX tricks.
(The modula compiler we use here is just another YACC-one.)
So it will be made PD (of course). I am thinking about rewriting it
to C, because I want to run it on the Acorn Archimedes, for
which there is no Modula-2 compiler available.

This brings me to another
question: Has somebody got \TeX (or, preferrably \LaTeX) running on an
Archimedes? I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has it
running on a 1Mb (A310) machine with a harddisk.
I think that, if I can get \TeX running on the Arc I'll rewrite DVItoVDU
in C (ANSI-C, that is) and post it here, if anyone is interested.

You'll here from me, when the Unix - Modula2 version is ready.

Greetings,
Pieter 'Tiggr' Schoenmakers
---
- "Would you like to have a PC?"
- "No, thanks. I'd rather have a Mac without a Mouse;
   doesn't matter much in funtionality, anyway."

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (09/30/88)

I've been using a VMS TeX previewer called DVItoVDU for a while.
Recently we acquired a newer, better laser printer driver that could
use packed files.  DVItoVDU (our version) is written in Modula II.

I remember seeing a note that someone (I hope) was converting this
program to another language and including support for packed font
files.  I would love to have the source for DVItoVDU in a language
that we "own".  (I have nothing against Modula II except I don't have
access to a compiler.)  I do have 'C', Fortran, and Macro.

Is there anyone who knows about this previewer and if there is a version
that will use packed files?  Are there other previewers that can handle,
for instance, vt220's in text and sixel modes, vt240's in REGIS and TEK4010
modes, and Visual 623's in text and TEK4010 hi-res mode?

(All I want is the world--who doesn't?)  DVItoVDU, by the way, is close
to satisfying all the above mentioned needs.  A little tweaking and the
VIS500 entry would work with my Visual 623...
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc

	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.