[comp.text] Outputting `pretty' numbers from TeX

gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) (10/06/88)

Has anyone out there attacked the problem of generating english
spelling of numbers from TeX?

Such an animal would work like so:

	\count255=123
	\englishnum\count255	==>	one-hundered twenty three

How about a numeric `pretty printer' like so:

	\count255=1234567
	\prettynum\count255	==>	1,234,567

Or a `dollar printer' like so:

	\count255=1234567
	\dollarnum		==>	$12,345.67

These seem like logical companions to \number and \romannumeral, and
would be *much* easier to implement as built-ins; though they are
probably doable with some hairy set of macros.  I'm trying to avoid
getting too deeply involved in TeXarcana, but I'll give it a whirl
if no one else has done so.

--gm
-- Greg McGary
--		{decvax,ihnp4,mcnc}!duke!gm
--					 gm@cs.duke.edu

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (10/06/88)

      One can get carried away with macro languages.

      Now a algebraic simplifier for expressions written as a TeX macro
would be really somthing.  This would add a whole new dimension to the
concept of "pretty-printing" of mathematical formulae.

					John Nagle

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (10/07/88)

In article <17769@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:
>       Now a algebraic simplifier for expressions written as a TeX macro
> would be really somthing.  This would add a whole new dimension to the
> concept of "pretty-printing" of mathematical formulae.

I have not had a crack at using S. Wolfram's _Mathematica_, but I
understand that it either does or will lead us to something like
``living'' math texts. It does this by presenting color graphics
to illustrate formulae, in such a way that the reader does not
have to settle for a static text. Anyone out there know more? And
does Mathematica know about TeX/LaTeX?

How many times I have longed for a computer smart enough to ``understand''
applied math literature. Since paper-based journals have space limits,
most authors have to severely compress their models, methods, etc., to
the very highest-level description. Therefore days, weeks, or months
must pass from the time I read such a paper until I can either write or
beg and port code to implement the model, method, etc. on my own
machine. However, the translation is entirely mechanical---i.e.,
expanding the high-level description into code is only detail work
(most of the time :-). So why can't I simply hand the paper to my
computer and say, ``Run this.''

In the old days people published things you could use immediately
(plots, nomograms, closed-form solutions, etc.). Now everyone
announces their latest interactive, object-oriented, globally
optimizing gizmo, but we still have no universal way to really
disseminate such results. This retards our ability to understand,
benefit from, and review each other's work.

Dan Mocsny