[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V88 #88

TeXhax@Score.Stanford.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (10/11/88)

TeXhax Digest   Monday, October 10, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 88

Moderator: Malcolm Brown

Today's Topics:

                 Previewer bitmap output to a file ?
                     Bug in ctex.ch (web2c 2.2)?
                         texindex.pas for VMS
               Re: Postscript, figures, and typesetters
                        Re: TeX digest No. 82
                            BibTeX Sorting
                        LaTeX macros for Lisp
                          Makeindex problem
                               TeX-to-C
                           dvips and dvi2ps
                              Questions
               Re: Postscript, figures, and typesetters
                             IEEE format
       Help please with creating a number of boxes (LaTeX/TeX)
                       VorTeX delays cleared up
                          X11 DVI previewer
                  Dominik Wujastyk's footnote macros
                 Does LaTeX handle fonts incorrectly?
                 No Numbers Allowed in LaTeX commands
                     RE: latex fonts (TeXhax #82)

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 88 16:09:23 EDT
From: ajb%cornea.mitre.org@gateway.mitre.org (Alan J. Broder)
Subject: Previewer bitmap output to a file ?

Over the last few months, much mention has been made of different
"dvito??" drivers that convert a dvi file for output on various
printers. I am interested in something slightly different. I would
like to produce output which can be displayed on a high resolution
image frame buffer, for example a PIXAR, or a Sun-TAAC. In effect,
what I want to create is a photographic quality image of what
the printed page would look like.

The difference between doing this, and displaying to, say, a normal
Sun display is significant. Because my frame buffer can display at
least 8 bits of gray scale (as opposed to the 1 bit on the Sun
Workstation) it is possible to conceive of using anti-aliased fonts.

In order to achieve this, I need some way to produce a binary bit-map
whole-page image of a dvi file, but... at very high resolution. Then
using image processing filtering techniques, I could filter down the
high-res binary image into a screen-resolution grey-scale image (this
filtering will create the anti-aliased characters).

So my question for texhax is this: has anyone written a dvi previewer
that outputs a high-resolution bit map image of the entire page to a file
(rather then output at low res to a workstation screen) ?

Please reply directly to me, if possible. I will summarize to Texhax.

Thanks

Alan Broder
ajb@mitre.arpa

------------------------------

Subject: Bug in ctex.ch (web2c 2.2)?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 88 14:39:52 -0700
From: David Hull <wiley!david@csvax.caltech.edu>

I have found what I consider to be a bug in the TeX change file
(ctex.ch) that is part of web2c 2.2.  The problem is that once TeX has
been undumped it no longer checks the TEXINPUTS (and other) environment
variables to override the default values.  This is not how the Pascal
version of TeX worked.  The fix was simple: move the call to set_paths
to before the test to see if TeX has already been initialized.  The
following patch fixes the problem.

-David
					---------------------------------------
					David Hull  TRW Inc.  Redondo Beach, CA
					  ...!{uunet,cit-vax,trwrb}!wiley!david
					     david%wiley.uucp@csvax.caltech.edu

*** texdir/ctex.ch.orig	Sun Jun  5 22:34:22 1988
--- texdir/ctex.ch	Thu Sep 29 13:09:29 1988
***************
*** 1670,1677 ****
  begin @!{|start_here|}
  history:=fatal_error_stop; {in case we quit during initialization}
  t_open_out; {open the terminal for output}
- if ready_already=314159 then goto start_of_TEX;
  set_paths; {get default file paths from the Unix environment}
  @z

  @x

Subject: texindex.pas for VMS
From: Paul Davis <davis@mauve>

Can someone help on the following:

	our VAX PASCAL compiler complains about
	a SETELORD error on line 291 of texindex.pas.
	This would appear to be due to one of the set defining
	elements not being declared as an ordinal. It will compile,
	but the linker refuses to give us an executable image. Any
	safe fixes ? This came straight from the archive server by the
	way ... I can't tell you offhand which pascal compiler we're
	on, probably 2.1 if that makes any sense. Don't rely on it. I
	know nothing about Pascal, and I don't really want to change
	that particular state of affairs.

Does anyone have a Unix version of texindex (SunOS 3.x/4.0) ?

My mail address shown in the "From:" line has been corrected now (damn
smartass version of PMDF), but its Internet form is just:

	davis%blue@sdr.slb.com

thnaks in advance,

Paul Davis
Schlumberger Cambridge Research,
England.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 88 07:26:45 EDT
From: Mike Jipping <jipping%cs.hope.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: Postscript, figures, and typesetters

> Has anyone patched dvi2ps to work on both LWs and some PS typesetter?
> Are there any substitute drivers which solve this problem?

If you took the Postscript code to the typesetters, it probably isn't a
dvi2ps problem.  That's like running the same object code on two IBM-PCs,
and blaming the compiler when you get different results.  I'd check the
environment, i.e., the parameters that are memory-resident in your printer
and in the typesetters' Linotronic.  Maybe you should check the version
of Postscript that each respective printer runs on.
                                                         -- Mike
      Mike Jipping
      Hope College
      Department of Computer Science
      jipping@cs.hope.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 88 12:26 GMT
From: SCCS6038%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Re: TeX digest No. 82

Hi there,
   At the beginning of TeX digest number 82, a reference to a submission
dealing with information regarding a 'TeX repository at Texas A&M' may
be found. However in the digest which I received, no submission was
included. Does anyone have this submission, and if so is it possible to
forward it to me at the address below.
            Thanks a lot in advance,
               Aidan Delaney

SCCS6038%IRUCCVAX.BITNET@CUNY.CUNYVM.EDU

------------------------------

Subject: BibTeX Sorting
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 88 15:20:04 +1000
From: Rodney Topor <munnari!munmurra.mu.oz.au!rwt@uunet.UU.NET>

I have just started using BibTeX.  With styles plain and abbrv, it
seems to sort entries alphabetically by author.  Entries for the same
author seem to be sorted randomly.  Is there any way to sort entries
with the same author by year (without editing the bbl file)?
Similarly, with style alpha, entries are sorted by the generated
label.  This can separate entries for the same author, which looks
wrong.  Is there any way to sort entries by author and year with style
alpha?

Rodney Topor

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 88 10:39:16 PDT
From: john@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu (John Sambrook 548-4386)
Subject: LaTeX macros for Lisp

I'm involved in the development of some software in Common Lisp.  I'd like
to write my documentation with LaTeX.  I'd also like to conform to the
style set forth in texts like "Common Lisp, The Language" by Guy Steele.
I would appreciate any information on where I might obtain the appropriate
style files to do this.

Thank you,

John Sambrook                        Internet: john@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu
University of Washington RC-05           UUCP: uw-nsr!john
Seattle, Washington  98195               Dial: (206) 548-4386

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 88 13:38 EDT
From: ZACCONE%BKNLVMS.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Makeindex problem

I am using MakeIndex to produce an index for an article.  I am
following the directions in "MakeIndex: An Index Processor for LaTeX"
by Leslie Lamport.

I have added the makeidx document-style option, put a \makeindex
command in the preamble, and put a \printindex before the
\end{document}.  At the end of my paper I get a page with just the
word "Index" near the vertical center of the page.  On the next page
is the word "Index" again with the index following.  Here's the
problem as I see it.

makeidex.sty is defined as follows:

% makeidx.sty 17-Jan-87

\def\see#1#2{{\em see\/} #1}
\def\printindex{\begin{theindex}
\@input{\jobname.ind}
\end{theindex}}

The .ind file produced by MakeIndex has the following form:

\begin{theindex}

index information

\end{theindex}

The result is two nested theindex environments which is causing my
problem.  Is my makeidx.sty file out of date,  am I missing
something here, or is this a bug?

Rick Zaccone
zaccone@bknlvms.bitnet

------------------------------

From: mcvax!ruuinf!piet@uunet.UU.NET (Piet van Oostrum)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 88 17:13:00 EST
Subject: TeX-to-C

This week I tried installing the Web-to-C version of TeX found on the Unix
tex tape. After installing a preloaded version of LaTeX I found that the
executable was much bigger then the previous version (made from Pat
Monardo's Common TeX). It was 1.4MB rather than 9.5KB, almost 50% more.
Further investigation showed that the culprit was the memory_word type that
came to 8 bytes on our machine (a Harris HCX-9). Finally I tracked the
problem down to the definition of fourquarters in memory.h:

typedef struct {
    struct {
	quarterword B0;
	quarterword B1;
    } u;
    quarterword b2;
    quarterword b3;
} fourquarters;

The extra struct apparently is there because there must also be a union in
the definition of twohalves (This is caused by the difference in Pascal
where a variant of a record does not have a name, only the fields in it
have names, whereas in C you must have a named union).

The compiler seems to align the fields following a struct on a word
boundary, thereby wasting 2 halfwords.

The solution is simple, and I give it here for other people that may
experience the same problem:

Replace the above typedef by:

#define b2	u.B2
#define b3	u.B3

typedef union {
    struct {
	quarterword B0;
	quarterword B1;
	quarterword B2;
	quarterword B3;
    } u;
} fourquarters;

Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Telephone: +31-30-531806              UUCP: ...!mcvax!ruuinf!piet

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 88 11:56:50 CDT
From: grunwald%guitar.cs.uiuc.edu@a.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald)
Subject: dvips and dvi2ps

I'd grabbed a copy of ``dvips'' from june.cs.washington.edu and a
copy of ``dvi2ps'' from Berkeley. After trying both of these, I
cataloged the following features:

dvips:	handles tpic specials, handles resident Adobe fonts, handles
	all metafont file formats

dvi2ps: handles PSFIG specials, handles resident adobe fonts, handles
	all PK file format

Dvi2ps comes with ``afm2tfm'', a package to convert Adobe fonts to TFM
files. Dvips had a little trouble reading the TFM files generated by
this, but dvi2ps didn't complain.

I was initially going to use ``dvi2ps'', but I noticed that when I plotted
PiCTeX pictures, it seemed that dvi2ps didn't round correctly. I had lines
not touching where they should (by about 1/8 inch -- I think that small
errors are being compounded).

So, instead, I've modified ``dospecial'' from dvips to understand both
the TPIC and the PSFIG specials. So far, it seems to work fine, and I
can print tpic and psfig pictures side by side. Also, it correctly
prints PicTeX pictures. I also changed a ``printf'' to an fprintf
so that an error message goes to the error log & not into your document
when dvips is used as a TransScript filter.

I placed the context diffs in file
	pub/TeX/dvips.diffs.Z		6538 bytes
	pub/TeX/dvips.diffs		12814 bytes
on host
	a.cs.uiuc.edu

if anyone ever figures out why it's complaining about the TFM files, I'd
like to hear about it. Using those files would save a lot of downloading
time, even on a DEC ScriptPrinter at 38.4Kbaud.

Dirk Grunwald
Univ. of Illinois
grunwald@m.cs.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 88 13:19 EDT
From: John R. Dunning <jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Questions

Hi folk.  Judging by the NIC's interest-groups file, this looks like a
good place to send this question.

I'm contemplating implementing a DVI printer/previewer for my Atari ST,
and hoping to find something already written that I can modify.
Basically, I just need something that can write into a bitmap in memory,
for later dumping to screen memory, or to the simple-minded Atari laser
printer.

Anybody have any suggestions or pointers to code?  Thanks in advance for
any info.

------------------------------

From: harrison%mahogany.Berkeley.EDU@Berkeley.EDU (Michael Harrison)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 88 12:51:20 PDT

Mike,
	Read the description of initgraphics on page 173 of
the Red book.
That command, used by dvi2ps, resets to the default graphihcs state
of the printer.  It is probable, as you suggest,
that the two devices have different
initial states.

If this is the problem, the answer may be to explicitly set the initial state
to the LW conventions in the PS code.

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 88 15:49:09 EDT
From: Xev Gittler <xg00%gte.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: IEEE format

Before I go and write it myself, does anyone have a LaTeX .sty file for IEEE
format?

			Xev Gittler

------------------------------

Date:  3 Oct 88  9:00 -0600
From: Jim Walker <walkerj%wnre.aecl.cdn@relay.ubc.ca>
Subject: Help please with creating a number of boxes (LaTeX/TeX)

I am slightly embarrassed to ask this question, but I'm having a mental
block about this. I would prefer a LaTeX solution, but a TeX solution would
be fine too.

I want to create a number of boxes. I want to create these boxes using
\newsavebox (\newbox) rather than the actual box number, since I want to
avoid the possibility of overwriting a box. I don't know ahead of time how
many boxes there will be, so I'd like to use a counter and call them
mybox1, mybox2... All of this will be inside another macro.

My attempts to do this have all proved miserable failures. Can anybody
help?

------------------------------

From: harrison@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Harrison)
Subject: VorTeX delays cleared up
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 88 08:05:14 PDT

There have been a number of delays in sending out VorTeX distribution tapes
due to a changeover in secretarial staff, etc.

I am happy to announce that
we are back to normal.
There are now no unfixed bugs and all
the entire backlog has been processed.
The tapes are in the mail.

If you have any problems, you can reach us at
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!dist-vortex
ARPA: dist-vortex@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Please address any correspondence to:

Professor Michael A. Harrison
Computer Science Division
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720

Attn. Vortex Dist.

------------------------------

From: harrison@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Harrison)
Subject: X11 DVI previewer
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 88 08:31:08 PDT

The program dvi2x11, written by Steven J. Procter, has been added to
the VorTeX distribution.
This is a previewer for DVI files which runs under X11R2.
It is similar to dvi2x which is our X10 version.
There are many new features which include better graphics, draggable
scrollbars, etc.
The gnumacs macros in the VorTeX distribution also control the operation
of dvi2x11 via programs dvisend and retex.

There are a few rough points due to the state of X11.
These include a decrease in speed in making the pixmap.
All window managers do not behave in the same way.

For ordering the previewer, contact

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 13:20:58 EDT
From: Mr. Scott Bodarky (ART-UGRAD) <bodarky@umbc3.UMD.EDU>
Subject: Dominik Wujastyk's footnote macros

I have recently triedusing Dominik Wujastyk's footnote macros in some
documents, and find that if a footnote occurs on the first line or so of a
given page, it is numbered as though it belonged to the previous page.
For example:

	Page 1: 1, 2, 3, 4
	Page 2: 5, 2, 3, 4

If the footnote occurs farther down the page, it is numbered correctly.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated...

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 3 Oct 88 23:31:36 EDT
From:     Bernie Cosell <cosell@WILMA.BBN.COM>
Subject:  Does LaTeX handle fonts incorrectly?

I hesitate to suggest such a thing, but I'm on the edge of redoing the
font machinery and I'd appreciate being convinced I'm wrong (or that
what I want to do is impractically hard).

The problem is that LaTeX seems to mix together the notion of font
family and font style.  thus "\it" doesn't mean "go into the italic
form of the current font", it means "go into italics".  And that's a
real problem if you are using italics in a region where some other
family/style is in place.  For example, if you have something in small
caps in a section head, the whole section head is in boldface, BUT...
the \sc turns **OFF** boldface, so your \sc'ed part stands out like an
ugly sore thumb.

It seems to me that what LaTeX should have is four families (roman,
sanserif, typewriter and smallcaps) and two style attributes (italic
and bold).  The families should _switch_ leaving the prevailing style
alone; the styles should *stack* leaving the prevailing family and any
other styles alone.  If I'm italic, and I enter a \bf region, I should
expect to now be in bold-italic.

Would this be crazy?  Would it be an improvement?  Would it be hard to do?

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 4 Oct 88 09:59 N
From:     <STEMERDI%HWALHW50.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  No Numbers Allowed in LaTeX commands

No numbers in LaTeX command-names.

During preparation of a huge lot of tables, I devised some \newcommands
in order to avoid repeatedly applying the long \multicolumn commands.

In my tables, the column entries are defined {r}, but I wished the column
headings to be {l}.

So I defined:

\newcommand{\mc1}[1]{\multicolumn{1}{l}{#1}}
\newcommand{\mc2}[1]{\multicolumn{2}{l}{#1}}
\newcommand{\mc3}[1]{\multicolumn{3}{l}{#1}}
\newcommand{\mc4}[1]{\multicolumn{4}{l}{#1}}

But alas, this did not work properly: the headings got prefixed with the
number 1 and the intended effect of \multicolumn did not show up. There
was no warning or error whatsoever.

Simply changing \mc1 etc.  into \mcone \mctwo etc. is the solution.

So I have no more problems at the moment, except for the fact that I can't
find in the LaTeX manual any reference to the rule that one should not use
numbers in command names. Anyone else who did find this?

I'm using LaTeX 2.9 on a VAX-8700 with VMS 4.7.

G.J. Stemerdink
Computing Centre Agricultural University
Dreijenplein 2         / 6703 BC  Wageningen  / The Netherlands

PHONE: (+31)8370 84388 / FAX: (+31)8370 84731 / TELEX: 45015 BLHWG NL

BITNET/EARN:  STEMERDINK@HWALHW50
SURFNET:      LUWRVD::STEMERDINK
PSI/X25:      (0204)18370060638::STEMERDINK

------------------------------

Date:    Tue Oct  4 15:17:33 MET 1988
From:    XITIJSCH%DDATHD21.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: RE: latex fonts (TeXhax #82)

commands of LaTeX, especially if \huge and \Huge use
the same size. This is true for the 12pt style options
of the standard document styles -- as documented in
the Local Guide which should be available to you.
In case it is not here is the table with the font
sizes LaTeX uses (copied from our Local Guide):

\begin{table}
\centering
   \begin{tabular}{l|r|r|r|}
   \multicolumn{1}{l}{\sc size} &
   \multicolumn{1}{c}{\sc default ({\tt 10pt\/})} &
           \multicolumn{1}{c}{\sc {\tt 11pt\/} option}  &
           \multicolumn{1}{c}{\sc {\tt 12pt\/} option}\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\tiny|       & 5pt  & 6pt  & 6pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\scriptsize| & 7pt  & 8pt  & 8pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\footnotesize| & 8pt & 9pt & 10pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\small|      & 9pt  & 10pt & 11pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\normalsize| & 10pt & 11pt & 12pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\large|      & 12pt & 12pt & 14pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\Large|      & 14pt & 14pt & 17pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\LARGE|      & 17pt & 17pt & 20pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\huge|       & 20pt & 20pt & 25pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \verb|\Huge|       & 25pt & 25pt & 25pt\\
   \cline{2-4}
   \end{tabular}
\caption{Type sizes for \LaTeX{} size-changing commands}
\label{tab:sizes}
\end{table}

If you want an other type size as 25pt for \Huge
you have to alter lfonts.tex to declare a new font size
\xxxpt (or something like that) which switches to 30pt
(\magstep6). Afterwards you have to change art12.sty etc.
to include your new definition \xxxpt in the replacement
text of \Huge.

Good luck...
                        Joachim

   TH Darmstadt
   Institut f\"ur Theoretische Informatik
   Joachim Schrod
   Alexanderstr. 24            Bitnet: XITIJSCH@DDATHD21
                                  (Please try again if I don't answer ---
   D-6100 Darmstadt               our Bitnet connection is very instable...)
   West Germany

End of TeXhax Digest
-------