[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V88 #89

TeXhax@Score.Stanford.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (10/11/88)

TeXhax Digest   Tuesday, October 11, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 89

Moderator: Malcolm Brown

Today's Topics:

             Re: footnote numbering per page (TeXhax #85)
          circle and line fonts for TeX - help me find them
               WEB2C works on IBM RT/PC running AOS 4.3
                   Alignment in in plain (question)
                  \dotfill in tabular mode in LaTeX
                          epic/eepic trouble
                           TeX on ATARI ST
                   Re: footnote numbering per page
                                DVIEW
                              HP DeskJet
                          Re: MACSYMA -> TeX
                       bibliography in letters
                   FTPing TEX from Score / LISTSERV
                          macros for poems?
                       Rochester LaTeX archives
     Utility for conversion from SMP format to TeX/LaTeX wanted.
          Modifying the \answer macro (neophyte needs help)
                      figure inserts, and tables
                    MERGE.STY and LETTER.STY again

Date:    Tue Oct  4 15:57:35 MET 1988
From:    XITIJSCH%DDATHD21.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Re: footnote numbering per page (TeXhax #85)

In TeXhax #85 Max Hailperin has asked for ``make LaTeX
number footnotes starting afresh on each page.''
I have posted such macros to TeXhax a while ago
(after issue 60, vol87). To my knowledge
this contribution is still available as SCHROD.TXH from the
usual servers (Score.Stanford or LISTSERV@TAMVM1).

Any comments or suggestions are still welcome.

                Joachim

   TH Darmstadt
   Institut f\"ur Theoretische Informatik
   Joachim Schrod
   Alexanderstr. 24            Bitnet: XITIJSCH@DDATHD21
                                  (Please try again if I don't answer ---
   D-6100 Darmstadt               our Bitnet connection is very instable...)
   West Germany

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 88 11:17:57 EDT
From: David F. Kotz <dfk@cs.duke.edu>
Subject: circle and line fonts for TeX - help me find them

I need a few fonts to fill out my collection. I need the complete 118
dpi and 300 dpi series font files in pk format, plus the .tfm files,
for the fonts circle10, circlew10, line10, and linew10. If there is a
site out there willing to allow me to ftp them, please send me e-mail.

David Kotz
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27706
ARPA:	dfk@cs.duke.edu
CSNET:	dfk@duke
UUCP:	decvax!duke!dfk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 88 14:03:03 EDT
From: John T Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: WEB2C works on IBM RT/PC running AOS 4.3

There is no address listed in the README file produced from the WEB2C
distribution from ICS.UCI.EDU, so I figure TeXHaX is the next best place
to report.

I picked up WEB2C and compiled MetaFont 1.5 and TeX 2.93 on an IBM RT/PC
running AOS 4.3 (formerly ACIS 4.3), a 4.3BSD port.  The BIGTEX version
compiles fine with the HC compiler, when schar is typedef'ed to signed
char.  Both MF and TeX pass the trap/trip test.

Good job, guys!

John Kohl
MIT Student Information Processing Board

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 88 14:11:28 PDT
From: Darrell long <darrell@midgard.ucsc.edu>
Subject: Alignment in in plain (question)

I'm attempting to create a letterhead using plain, and I am mostly successful
except I can't seem to get the left (right) hand sides of things to align just
right.

The macro follows.  The problem is basically this: The "U" in the first line
is further to the left than the other lines, and the "O" in "SAN FRANCISCO"
and the "Z" in "SANTA CRUZ" in the third line are further to the left than the
right end of the \hrule above and below them.

I've had a similar problem before with \halign, and BB tried the same macro
and found no problem (so we concluded it might be my fonts or driver).

Any help you can lend will be appreciated.

DL
--
\font\twelve=cmr12
\font\five=cmr5
\def\letterhead{{\baselineskip=0 pt
\vbox{\vskip -1 true cm
\hbox{\hskip -1 true cm
\vbox{
\hbox to 18 true cm {{\twelve UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA CRUZ\hss}}
\vskip 0.8 true cm
\hbox to 18 true cm {
\hbox to 11.5 true cm {\hrulefill}\hss\hbox to 4.5 true cm {\hrulefill}}
\vskip 4 pt
\hbox to 18 true cm {
\hbox to 11.5 true cm {{\five
BERKELEY \hss $\cdot$ \hss
DAVIS \hss $\cdot$ \hss
IRVINE \hss $\cdot$ \hss
LOS ANGELES \hss $\cdot$ \hss
RIVERSIDE \hss $\cdot$ \hss
SAN DIEGO \hss $\cdot$ \hss
SAN FRANCISCO
}}\hss\hbox to 4.5 true cm {{\five
SANTA BARBARA \hss $\cdot$ \hss
SANTA CRUZ
}}}
\vskip 4 pt
\hbox to 18 true cm {
\hbox to 11.5 true cm {\hrulefill}\hss\hbox to 4.5 true cm {\hrulefill}}
}}
\vskip 0.5 true cm
\vbox to 0 pt {\hbox to 18 true cm {\hskip 11.5 true cm \special{ucseal}\hss}}

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 4 Oct 88 10:03 CDT
From:     <RHLHELP%TAMVENUS.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  \dotfill in tabular mode in LaTeX

I am working on a directory of names titles and numbers.
The names and titles are staggard so I used the tabbing mode
in LaTeX. Between the names and titles and the phone numbers
I need dotfill yet all I get is a blank. Dotfill works fine
for me outside of the tabbing, but does anyone know
how to make it work inside the tabbing?

I have tried many different things with no sucess.

Here is an example of what I am trying to do:

\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}
\begin{tabbing}
A big long place here. \= Another big long place. \= A short place. \= \\
I need a name here.\dotfill \> \dotfill \>\dotfill \> A no. here. \\
\> sometimes a name here. \dotfill \> \dotfill \> \& a no. here.\\
\end{tabbing}

Yet I get \dotfill dotfills here!
\end{document}

Thanks in advance,
Robert RHLHELP@Tamvenus

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Oct 88 18:37:01 JST
From: Hideki ISOZAKI <isozaki%expert-sun.ntt.jp@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: epic/eepic trouble

	I appreciate epic and eepic, but I wonder why their style files
end with `\makeatother'.  I suppose following style files are misinterpreted
by this command.

- Hideki ISOZAKI

NTT Software Reserach Labs.
Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp.
isozaki%ntt-20.ntt.jp@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Oct 88 10:38:21 ADT
From: Dave Dermott <DERMOTT@XX.DREA.DND.CA>
Subject: TeX on ATARI ST

TeX (C version ) on ATARI ST
  I sent my port of TeX-C ( done with MEGAMAX-C) for ATARI ST to
cleo.math.lsa.umich.edu [35.195.16.4]. The files are in ARC form
and available by anonymous FTP on directory atari.
The files are:
texst.arc (281Kbyte) executables for TEX and INITEX plus TEX.POOL
texsrc.arc (205k) Megamax-c sources
texfmt.arc (320k) PLAIN.FMT and LPLAIN.FMT if you can't generate your own
texfonts.arc (97k) most common PK fonts used by DVIST previewer

   DVIST (with C sources) is available at several other sites
(ssyx.ucsc.edu and lakesys!netlib ) It is quite easy to modify DVIST
to preview on other systems since most of the code is device
independent. It's written by Avy Moise and Tyler Ivanco from York
University.

    Tex needs almost 1 megabyte to run. It is possible to run
Latex on a single 720k floppy with disk swapping, but a hard disk is
much nicer. A large RAM disk would even be nicer.

  By the way TeX-C compiled very easily on an IRIS-UNIX workstation.
It wasn't too difficult to modify DVIST to preview on the IRIS.

David Dermott    XX.DREA.DND.CA
DREA
Dartmouth NS

------------------------------

From:       Wujastyk <UCGADKW%EUCLID.UCL.AC.UK@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Date:       Wed, 5 Oct 88 11:52
Subject:    Re: footnote numbering per page

In TeXhax 1988.85, Max Hailperin enquires about making LaTeX footnotes
start their automatic numbering afresh on each page.

Lines 6670 onwards of the file LATEX.TEX read as follow:

%   \thefootnote : In usual LaTeX style, produces the footnote number.
%                  If footnotes are to be numbered within pages, then the
%                  document style file must include an \@addtoreset command
%                  to cause the footnote counter to be reset when the page
%                  counter is stepped.  This is not a good idea, though,
%                  because the counter will not always be reset in time
%                  to ensure that the first footnote on a page is footnote
%                  number one.

This should help--and warn--with the problem of resetting the footnote
counter on each page.

If you get this working, Max, let TeXhax know about how effective it is, and
how exactly you implemented it.

Dominik Wujastyk

Janet:                  wujastyk@uk.ac.ucl.euclid
Bitnet/EARN/EAN/UUCP:   wujastyk@euclid.ucl.ac.uk
Internet/Arpa/CSNet:    dow@wjh12.harvard.edu

------------------------------

Date: 5 Oct 88 12:53:00 EST
From: "Michael J. Porter" <mike@vax.oit.udel.edu>
Subject: DVIEW

I recently got a copy of DVIEW from SIMTEL20, and really liked it.  However,
we already have software that needs GF format files and PK format files,
I would rather not have to support PXL as well.  Is there a version that
supports PK files?  Does anyone have the source so that it can be modified
to support PK format?  How abort Steve Wards address?

				Thanks,

				Mike Porter

mike@vax.oit.udel.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Oct 88 10:43:55 PDT
From: Tomas G. Rokicki <rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: HP DeskJet

The HP DeskJet does indeed work fine as a TeX output device for
low-volume (i.e. personal) printing.  Typical page throughput
is from 2.5 to 6 minutes a page, so it's not quick.  The quality
is as close to a laser as you can get, though, and the printer
is whisper quiet, so you can leave it unattended for long periods
of time.  (That old Epson could be heard across the street!)

Just using an old LaserJet driver won't give you the maximum
possible speed; it's pretty easy to tune the LaserJet driver for
the DeskJet though.

Please note that the extra RAM cartridges help not at all.

If HP would make a simple firmware change, the printer could
easily be sped up by a factor of at least two.  The main problem
with the printer is it only uses about twelve pins in graphics
mode, rather than the fifty pins available, as it only allocates
4K or so to graphics input buffering.  It allocates the rest of
its 16K to data input buffering.  If that could be switched from
4/12 to 12/4, perhaps with a DIP switch, print speed for TeX
should improve at least by a factor of two.

If the firmware could use the cartridge RAM similarly, pages should
come out as fast as the printer can print them.  Which is pretty
quick.

The printer was designed to print its native fonts quickly, and
little consideration was given to graphics.  C'mon, HP, let's get
on the ball here.

In summary, if you really don't want a laser printer because of
the cost or size, and you want to do TeX, I'd really recommend
the DeskJet providing you don't need a very fast printer.

Finally, if anyone wants information on DeskJet soft fonts, send
me your physical mail address and I'll mail you the data.

-tom

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Oct 88 11:48:02 PDT
From: landers%cardinal.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Joe Landers)
Subject: Re: MACSYMA -> TeX

Prof. Richard Fateman (fateman@renoir.berkeley.edu) has written a
package called MacTeX that generates TeX output from MACSYMA.  The
system works in a manner very similar to the troff-based PHOTOT code.
A description of MacTeX is available in the SIGSAM Bulletin (the ACM
special interest group on Symbolic and Algebraic Manipulation),
Volume 21, Number 4, pages 1-5 under the title "TeX Output from
MACSYMA-like Systems."

Joe Landers
Department of Civil Engineering,
University of California, Berkeley

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Oct 88 14:43:13 EDT
From: toms@ncifcrf.gov
Subject: bibliography in letters

I put some citations into a letter I was writing using the LaTeX letter
environment (along with the usual information to tell LaTeX about my database)
and I found it didn't work.  LaTeX refused to generate an aux file.
When I removed the letter environment it worked fine (but now I have to hack
up the article to look like a letter...)
Is there some subtle logical reason that one can't do this?
  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland
  toms@ncifcrf.gov
(** WHAT? you mean it's not proper to put references in a letter?!!  :-)

------------------------------

From: Hans-Georg Kerkhoff  <kerkhoff%exp.bessy.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: FTPing TEX from Score / LISTSERV

Hello Eric,
as you may know, there is a big community in Europe using TEX,LATEX,
etc. You may also know that anonymous FTP is not available in Europe.
All files at the different repositories in US cannot be accessed from
Europe. Files sent to LISTSERV@TAMVM1 don't show up.

Is it possible to install some MAILER DAEMON or a LISTSERV similar
procedure at score.stanford which will accept commands by mail to
help all people in Europe?
I am thinking of something similar to the archive server at
Rochester or Clarkson.
...Hans G. Kerkhoff

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Oct 88 20:25:57 edt
From: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Daniel Smith)
Subject: macros for poems?

Does anyone have a good set of macros for TeX poems?  What I am looking
for is a way to center the text of the poem on a page like this:
           A Title that is longer (or shorter) than the text
                             Line one,
                             This is line two,
                             And line three.

                             Line four
                             Here is line five,
                             End with line six.

I got something like to following TeX code to do the job, but its not very
pretty.  It also is rather difficult to use macros, becasue of the way /par
is redefined.
\hfil\hbox{
\vbox{\begingroup \let\par=\cr \obeylines %
\halign{#\hfil
Line one,
This is line two,
And line three.
\noalign{\medskip}% space between verses
Line four,
Here is line five,
End with line six.
}\endgroup
}}\hfil\par

It would be nice if the input file could look something like the following:
\beginpoetry   % turn on poetry mode
Line one,
This is line two,
% or perhaps \quad This is line two,
And line three.
\endofverse % the end of a verse, stanza, etc.
Line four,
Here is line five,
End with line six.
% \endofverse   if necessary, otherwise just
\endpoetry

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
J. Daniel Smith                                    smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University

------------------------------

Subject: Rochester LaTeX archives
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 88 00:27:10 -0400
From: Ken Yap <ken@cs.rochester.edu>

As Michael DeCorte has announced, the Rochester archives have been
succeeded by the Clarkson archives. By the way there is only one p in
Yap. Or the first p (but not the second) is silent, if you prefer. :-)

I shall keep the current archive available via ftp and mail as long as
convenient, but the contents will be in stasis.  Here is the official
policy announcement, also in the 00readme file:

=====
Rochester is no longer the principal archive site for LaTeX-style.  It
now resides at Clarkson University. Please fetch the file 00newarchive
for a description of the server there.  The files here will be kept
available via ftp and mail server for as long as practical. No new
submissions will be accepted here.  They should be sent to the archive
keeper at Clarkson, Michael DeCorte (mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu).  Please
note that no guarantee is made that the files here are up to date. What
is here is provided as is. Please also note that the mail server
commands for Clarkson are DIFFERENT.
=====

If there are any people out there reading this who sent me paper mail
asking about how to get tapes or Mac diskettes or what not, I'm sorry
if I didn't reply to you.  I have never offered distribution on
physical media. I hope you can use the floppy distribution run by other
volunteers or find somebody who can help you get the files on some
useable medium.

Thank you for your support in the past.

	Ken
	6th October 1988

------------------------------

Date:	 6-OCT-1988 09:56:24 GMT +01:00
From:	MACALLSTR%vax1.physics.oxford.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Utility for conversion from SMP format to TeX/LaTeX wanted.

Does anyone have a utility for converting mathemtaical material from
 SMP ( Symbolic Manipulation Program ) format to TeX or LaTeX ( or
 other related ) format?
John

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Oct 88 18:16:06 PDT
From: ries@trwrb.trw.com (Marc Ries)
Subject: Modifying the \answer macro (neophyte needs help)

I  need  to  extract  some  (ascii)  information  from a LaTeX document.
Ideally, I need the current section number, the title  of  the  section,
and  the first paragraph in that section.  I also need a field separator
(FS).  So, if in the LaTeX document, I had something like this:

\level=1
\mymac{This Is It}  Some lines of text.
         And more text...

my output would look like:

1(FS)This Is It(FS)Some lines of text. And more text....

Unfortunately, the best I have gotten so far is:

1(FS) This Is It
 Some lines of text.
         And more text...

How  do  I  get rid of the linefeeds and the space after every argument?
Any helpful hints would be appreciated.  The  following  is  my  current
hacked, stand-alone, tex input:

%----------------------------------------------
\newcount\level
%----------------------------------------------
% \answer macro: Appendix E: Example Formats [The TeX Book] pg. 422
\chardef\other=12                   % shorthand for catagory 12
\newwrite\ans                       % create new file
\immediate\openout\ans=\jobname.ans % open file for answers to exercises
\outer\def\answer#1{\par\medbreak
  \immediate\write\ans{\the\level& #1}%
   \copytoblankline}
\def\copytoblankline{\begingroup\setupcopy\copyans}
\def\setupcopy{\def\do##1{\catcode`##1=\other}\dospecials
  \catcode`\|=\other \obeylines}
 {\obeylines \gdef\copyans#1
  {\def\next{#1}%
  \ifx\next\empty\let\next=\endgroup %
  \else\immediate\write\ans{\next} \let\next=\copyans\fi\next}}
%----------------------------------------------
\level=1
\answer {How time Flies} Now is the time for all good men
         to come to the aid of there country men.

\immediate\closeout\ans
%----------------------------------------------
\end

% Thanks.   Marc Ries  ries@trwrb.arpa

------------------------------

Date:       Thu, 06 Oct 88 16:39:50 BST
From:       CMI011%IBM.SOUTHAMPTON.AC.UK@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: figure inserts, and tables

I applaud the plea for better floating figures; but it seemed
to me that the problem was uniformly difficult. All the stuff
about precisely laid out captions is easy, isn't it? I don't
mean it doesn't mean some careful hacking but I assume it
is fairly routine. I'm more interesting in a general solution
to the problem of floating figures not coming out where one
would want.

But thats by the by: what I am writing about is tables.
 a) I just received INRSTeX tables from TUG. Dear me, they
    still use AMR fonts! Is this 1988, TUG, or what?
 b) Can someone who has used all three tell me whether LaTeX
    'tabular' users like myself should bother to get into
    INRS tables or T2D4? Can someone quote a reasonable example
    of a facility LaTeX tables are lacking (apart from multi-paging)
 c) unless I am being dumb, I cannot see how, in LaTeX
    tables, I can make (say) the 3rd column come out in italic
    throughout. Can anyone suggestion a good method of achieving
    this?

Sebastian Rahtz
Computer Science
Southampton
UK

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 06 Oct 88 13:09:42 MEZ
From:         Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      MERGE.STY and LETTER.STY again

Graeme McKinstry really worked quickly with sending an inproved
version of MERGE.STY

BUT

the new version also does not work correctly.
\toname and \toaddress are not separated corrrectly.

In one of the last TEXHAXs somebody made a suggestion for correcting.

This correction works, so I also enclose a new version of MERGE.STY
which at least works with my test files.

Can you tell me what is wrong?

Here are my test files

------------------------- testbug.tex starts here ---------------
%  testlet.tex
\documentstyle^merge!{letter}
\address{Erich Neuwirth}
\signature{Erich Neuwirth}

\pagestyle{headings}

\begin{document}

\begin{merge}{adfile}

This is a Test

\newpage
And this is the second page
\closing{das wars}

\end{merge}

\end{document}

-------------------------  adfile.tex  starts here -----------------
{Konrad Neuwirth \\
Fernkorngasse 44/2/4}
Dear Konrad
{Gabriele Neuwirth \\
Fernkorngasse 44/2/4}
Dear Gabi
--------------------------- New MERGE.STY starts here ------------
\typeout{Merge substyle-release 6 October 1986 by Graeme McKinstry}

\newbox\store
\long\def\contents{\global\setbox\store=\vbox\bgroup} % store the contents
\long\def\endcontents{\egroup}                        % of the letter

\def\sendaddress{test}
\def\openingtext{test}
\newif\iffirsttime
\firsttimetrue

\newread\addrfile                               % allocate an input stream

\def\@openfile{\openin\addrfile=\mergef@le     % open the address file
\ifeof\addrfile                             % i. e., didn't open successfully
        \loop
                \immediate\write16{Could not open file \mergefi@le}
                \closein\addrfile                % close the input stream
                \read16 to \mergef@le            % get another filename
                \openin\addrfile=\mergef@le      % open up input stream
                \ifeof\addrfile
        \repeat       % repeat until successfully opened
\fi
}

\def\merge#1{\def\mergef@le{#1 }\@openfile\readfile \contents}

%
% The next four lines are unashamedly stolen from letter.sty and are
% used to split the address line read from the merge address file into
% two parts, the name (before the first \\) and the address (the rest)
% \@@processto is used after reading to \sendaddress to split it into
% \@toname and \@toaddress which are then used when \begin{letter} is
% invoked (see below)
%
\long\def\@@processto#1{\@@xproc #1\\@@@\ifx\@toaddress\@empty
 \else \@@yproc #1@@@\fi}
\long\def\@@xproc #1\\#2@@@{\def\@toname{#1}\def\@toaddress{#2}}
\long\def\@@yproc #1\\#2@@@{\def\@toaddress{#2}}

\def\readfile{\global\read\addrfile to\sendaddress % get the address
              \expandafter\@@processto\sendaddress
              \ifeof\addrfile

              \else
                   \global\read\addrfile to \openingtext % get the
                                                         % opening line
                   \iffirsttime
                   \else
                        \endmerge
                   \fi
              \fi}

\newbox\l@tterbox
\def\endmerge{\iffirsttime\endcontents\global\firsttimefalse\fi %
                                      % end contents if it is the first time
              \begin{letter}{\@toname\\\@toaddress}
              \opening{\openingtext\vskip2\parskip}
              \setbox\l@tterbox=\copy\store % copy the contents
                                            % of the letter
              \unvbox\l@tterbox
              \end{letter}
              \ifeof\addrfile
                \message{End of file}
              \else
                \readfile     % loop round yet again
              \fi}

ERICH NEUWIRTH
A4422DAB  at  AWIUNI11   in   BITNET
Intitute for Statistics and Computer Science
University of Vienna
Universitaetsstr. 5/9
A-1010 VIENNA, Austria

%%%
%%%     All others: send mail to
%%%           texhax-request@score.stanford.edu
%%%     please send a valid arpanet address!!
%%%
%%%
%%% All submissions to: texhax@score.stanford.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:      directory:  filename:
%%%   [SCORE.STANFORD.EDU]<TEX.TEXHAX>TEXHAXnn.yy
%%%      nn = issue number
%%%      yy = last two digits of current year
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------