Subject: Re:  Salvaging PXL fonts
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 15:45:37 EDT
From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@trantor.umd.edu>

I have a dvi to postscript converter that is based on the work that Chris
Torak has done with his ctex package.  It is based on the Imagen imPress
driver, and can use PXL, PK and GF fonts.  It can also use resident
PostScript printer fonts.

If there is any demand for something like this, I can make it available for
anonymous FTP.  It has been run on Berkeley UNIX based machines (4.3BSD,
Ultrix, etc) and also on the Commodore-Amiga.  Who know, you might be able
to transport it to something else too.

Louis A. Mamakos
University of Maryland
Computer Science Center

------------------------------

Date:    10/27/88 11:41:02 GMT+1
From:    X114%DDAGSI3.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: where are NEC drivers dvineclq available ?

In one of the last texhax new drivers for the NEC printer with
360 dpi where anounced of Fuyun Ling. From where can I get them ?
Is it possible to store them at a server (e.g. at clarkson.edu) for
access from BITNET ?
Bye Michael Dahlinger

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 88 03:56:54 PDT
From: Jonathan_Thornburg@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: making all displayed equations numbered in LaTeX

In some writing styles, *all* displayed equations are numbered.  In
this case, it would be nice to have a shorter and more stand-out-on-
-the-terminal-screen-ish version of the LaTeX \begin{equation} ...
\end{equation} and \begin{eqnarray} ... \end{eqnarray} environments.

The following style file redefines things so that \[ ... \] does what
\begin{equation} ... \end{equation} used to do, and \[[ ... \]] does
what \begin{eqnarray} ... \end{eqnarray} used to do.

- Jonathan Thornburg
  Dept. of Geophysics & Astronomy               thornburg@mtsg.ubc.ca
  The University of British Columbia          userbkis@ubcmtsg.bitnet
  Vancouver     BC     V6T 1W5       userbkis%ubcmtsg@um.cc.umich.edu
  Canada                          ubc-vision!ubcmtsg.bitnet!thornburg

------------------------------ cut here ------------------------------
% alleqno.sty -- LaTeX style file to make displayed equations numbered
%                by default.
%
% This document style option makes all displayed equations numbered by
% default.  In particular, it defines things so that \[, \], \[[, and
% \]] may be used as follows:
%
%       \[  ...  \]     ==>     \begin{equation} ... \end{equation}
%       \[[ ... \]]     ==>     \begin{eqnarray} ... \end{eqnarray}
%
% These new commands are short, and they stand out clearly from the
% surrounding text on a terminal screen.
%
% Note that \begin{displaymath} ... \end{displaymath} should *not* be
% used with this style file -- use \[ ... \] instead.  To override the
% default and get an unnumbered displayed equation, use a one-line
% \begin{eqnarray} ... \end{eqnarray}.
%
% - Jonathan Thornburg, 25/Sept/88
%
%   Vancouver     BC     V6T 1W5          userbkis%ubc@um.cc.umich.edu
%   Canada                         ubc-vision!ubcmtsg.bitnet!thornburg
%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%
% Thanks to Donald Arseneau for help with the following macro.
\def\mygobbletoken{\let\myjunktoken= }%%%
%
\def\[{\futurelet\mydisplayselect\mydisplay}%%%
\def\mydisplay{%%%
    \if\mydisplayselect[%%%
        \begin{eqnarray}\let\mynextcommand=\mygobbletoken%%%
    \else%%%
        \begin{equation}\let\mynextcommand=\relax%%%
    \fi%%%
    \mynextcommand
}%%%
%
\def\]{\futurelet\mydisplayselect\myenddisplay}%%%
\def\myenddisplay{%%%
    \if\mydisplayselect]%%%
        \end{eqnarray}\let\mynextcommand=\mygobbletoken%%%
    \else%%%
        \end{equation}\let\mynextcommand=\relax%%%
    \fi%%%
    \mynextcommand
}%%%
Date:     Thu, 27 Oct 88 17:43 CST
From:     <RCD2403%TAMCHEM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  RE:  Journals that accept/request/require TeX input (V88 #93)

Even though I'm an infrequent user of TeX/LaTeX, I can see the advantages of
submitting journal articles in TeX input (via network, of course).  There may
even be interest in developing products for specific journals.  Here at Texas
A&M we have BibTeX, specifically designed for thesis and dissertation
preparation.  Why can't the same be done for the Journal of the American
Chemical Society, Physics Review Letters, etc.  It might even take some of the
fear (and time) in learning how to use TeX.  This idea should at least have a
chance in the computer science world.  But realistically, I can't expect my
part of the academic world to be immediately enthusiastic about the idea.  The
problem is how to get chemists (even those who are computer jocks) to get
excited about learning TeX.  And to get editors to at least give it a try.  I
for one would like to receive comments on my work in weeks instead of months.
Who knows, I might even consider learning TeX to get the ball rolling in this
area!

Ricardo Davis

Department of Chemistry                       GTE:       (409) 845-0612
Texas A & M University                        Bitnet:    RCD2403@TAMCHEM
College Station, TX  77843-3255               THEnet:    CHEMVX::RCD2403
                                              Internet: RCD2403@CHEMVX.TAMU.EDU
                                              NGWnet:    RCDAVIS@MT.ZION

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 88  09:33:09 EDT
From: Mohr%NBS.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: TEX

Dear Malcolm:
I am interested in TEX and heard that you communicate with a
network of users.  I would like to get on your mailing list, and
have a (possibly elementary since I started using TEX a few weeks
ago) question to pose.  Is there a way to use \topinsert,\endinsert
without being between paragraphs?  The goal is to write a macro
analogous to \footnote that allows a segment of floating text
to be generated in the middle of a sentence to appear elsewhere.

I have not been able to prevent a new paragraph being made when the
\topinsert,\endinsert are called.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Sincerely yours, Peter Mohr (National Institute of Standards and
Technology, formerly National Bureau of Standards)

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 28 Oct 88 10:02 EST
From:     <MCGUINES%FORDMURH.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  Maple to TeX Conversion, TeXHax 95 note

In his note under the title above in TexHax 95,
Gerald Edgar says:
   > This capability exists in Maple, version 4.2. It is called 'latex'
   > but I see nothing that would differentiate the output from plain TeX.

Unfortunately, the Maple function latex() uses LaTeX specific constructions
such as '\frac' that do not make sense in Plain TeX. However, it
is easy to program a tex() function in the Maple language to use
'\over' instead by modifying the latex() source code.

Ois\'{\i}n McGuinness
Math. Dept.
Fordham University          Bitnet:  mcguiness@fordmurh
Bronx NY 10458               (Note the spelling!)

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 28 Oct 88 16:13:46 MET
From:         Victor Eijkhout <U641000%HNYKUN11.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>

Roughly a month ago, I started a discussion on journals that
allow authors to submit TeX code, instead of manuscripts.

Allow me to summarise (and annotate) the discussion so far, and
contribute some new thoughts.

------------ I agree, TeX as it stands is not a panacea.  VE

>From: Brad Miller <miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU>

>I see, so it's the presentation not the content that concerns you? For
>shame.

>From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.edu>

>Agreed!  Journals should take their time:  quality is more important
>than speed for a journal.

>Clearly what must happen, and what may happen in the not-to-distant-
>future, is that the old typesetters (the people, that is) must be
>reeducated in the area of electronic typesetting (or make way for those
>who are).

>Where these journals are going wrong is in the assumption
>that TeX will eliminate the need for a typesetter.  It doesn't: it is
>just providing a more powerful tool for the typesetter to use.
--------------- old typesetting does not die: it just
                gets more exciting.    VE

>From: Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem <JMS@mis.arizona.edu>

>Journals which accept TeX in lieu of sending out to typesetters may,
>in fact, be reducing the quality of their journals.

>However, journals like the ACM SIG newsletters do not have the luxury
>of having outside typesetters.  These journals normally accept
>camera-ready copy, and print it as received.  In this case, accepting TeX is
>a big win
----------------- ah, always the real world spoiling our
                  utopian dreams         VE

>From:     <POPPELIE%HUTRUU51.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> (Nico Poppelier)

>A very simple answer is (of course): the scientific journals should
> - use LaTeX and _not_ TeX
> - design their own document style, to be used with LaTeX.

>From: J E PITTMAN <JEPTEX@star.tamu.edu>

>My only major criterians are that the output
>should look professional and that I should not have to wait,
>TeX (and LaTeX,
>for people that can't handle TeX) meet these criterian.
---------------- both Poppelier and Pittman seem to believe
                 in panaceae            VE

>From: INHB%MCGILLC.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU

>1. Is it necessary or desirable to standardize on one version of TeX
>2. How much freedom can you leave to authors to make up their own
>macros?
>3. Can you get by with a TeX consultant or is it necessary to have a
>full-time in-house TeXnician?
>4. Has anyone prepared a guide for authors?
>5. Is there any other advice?

Good points. In my opinion:
1. LaTeX is already something of a de facto standard, and considering
  the tools it hands to the user (tables, environments, cross referencing
  to name but a few) it wouldn't be the worst imaginable.
  Proposition: let journals adopt LaTeX (probably augmented with a .STY
  file), and customise LATEX.TEX such that it produces a layout
  which is entirely their own.
2. This one will be difficult to delineate. One will certainly want
  to allow macros that just save repetitious typing, but not those
  that alter the structure of the layout, let alone those that
  redefine TeX (or LaTeX) commands.
3. First of all: even with a rigorous .STY file authors can mess things
  up. Therefore any journal accepting TeX will need at least some
  typesetting staff with a working knowledge
  of TeX ('where does this extra space come from' and the like).
  It might very well be that, after the desing phase, they can get
  by without full-time TeXhackers if point 2. has been
  satisfactorily solved. However, there is no way they can get by
  without {\em any} typesetting staff.
4. Anyone?
5. Advice: get a good graphic artist to design your style, and a
  competent hacker to implement it. Both authors and readers will
  be satisfied.

Date:     Fri, 28 Oct 88 17:33 N
From:     <MSCHENK%CLSUNI51.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  Looking for TeX on Apollo

I am looking for a version of the TeX software that ...
    ... would run on some Apollo DN300 (Aegis 9.5.1 & BSD4.2 DOMAIN/IX)
   ... would be "buildable" with c_compiler, revision 4.65
    or with                   pascal_compiler, revision 7.1452
   ... would produce its output in POSTSCRIPT for a LaserWriter I

Many thanks in advance,
Marc Schenk
Bitnet: MSCHENK@CLSUNI51

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1988 11:52:03 PDT
From: Max Hailperin <mxh@ksl.stanford.edu>
Subject: WEB/Pascal subset

As is well known, Knuth restricted himself to a subset of Pascal in writing
TeX.  For example, he didn't use pointers, call by reference (except for
files) or nested procedures.

However, as far as I can tell, none of this self-discipline is a part of the
WEB language definition.

My questions:
 1) Does any of the TeX-related software not obey these restrictions?
 2) If I write a WEB-to-... converter that exploits these conventions,
    should it instead be called restricted-WEB-to-... or some such?
    In particular, has anyone got a name for this WEB subset?
 3) To what extent do other people exploit the restrictions?

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 88 15:18 EDT
From: Henning Schulz-Rinne <HGSCHULZ@cs.umass.EDU>
Subject: Including MacDraw documents in TeX files

I would like to include MacDraw documents in a Tex file and then
print the resulting .PS file on a DEC LPS40 printer. I am using
DVIALW to convert .DVI files to .PS files and have been
able to include the sample file given in the DVIALW manual, but
have not had any luck with MacDraw files. I have a suspicion that
a special Apple dictionary is required, but don't know enough about
Postscript etc. to be sure. Any help greatly appreciated.

Henning Schulzrinne
ECE/COINS
U. of Massachusetts, Amherst

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 88 12:51 EDT
From: RICK%ntcws1.hub.hdsm05.hds.sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: flame on fonts

Flame on

Fonts !!!  There needs to be a trip like test for cm fonts!

I've just had an interesting experence trying to output a
50 page document in LaTeX.  When we took the output to a local
printshop to be printed.  They recommended we switch fonts
because the roman fonts we were using had some very thin
areas which would tend to drop out when making the printing
run.  They suggested we switch to a sans serif font.  After
having much fun getting LaTeX to think that roman fonts were
actually cmss10 type fonts and dealing with missing sans serif
fonts at small sizes (for the fine print part of the document)
we took that output to the printer.  He then pointed out that
the 10 point cmss10 font also had problems -- especially the
small "e" character had little or no white space.  It would
end up as a black blob on the upper half when duplicated for
printing.  After this I decided to take a closer look at the
fonts supplied with the laser printer.  Looking in the printer
manufacture's book of TeX fonts at cmss10 sure enought the
e's where black in the upper half of their own manual.  All
the sans serif fonts appear to be boldface.  The standard
cmss10 sans serif font is as bold if not bolder than the
boldface cmssbx10 font example in Knuth's "Computer Modern
Typefaces" book.  Most if not all the fonts are too black.

I don't think it is to unreasonable to expect that if I
print using cm fonts on two different laser printers that
the output should look reasonably alike.  I realize at 300
dots/inch and with different technology (write white/
write black etc.) that they will be slightly different
but, any reasonable company supplying TeX fonts should make
some effort to fine tune their mode_defs values to make their
output look like the examples in Knuth's book.  Anyone
generating fonts using metafont that they are going to call
cm fonts should have a copy of "Computer Modern Typefaces"
open in front of them (pages 554 thru 570), how else are they
going to know if what they are generating is cm or not?

Now if the manufacture had supplied Metafont and the program
to convert the .pk file to the proper format for downloading
to the printer, I could clean up the fonts.  But that is
scheduled for the next release.  I have Metafont, but no way
to covert the output .pk files to a format the printer can
use.  The result is I'm going to give the printer an inferior
master, and will get an inferior final product as a result.
I realize I should be using a printer who can output from
TeX dvi files, but that is another story.

I'll not name the offending company because I'm sure there
are many other companies with a similar problem, you know
who you are.

flame off

Rick Caldwell

------------------------------

Date: 28 October 1988 14:44:31 CDT
From: "Cynthia E. Quinn  " <U27095%UICVM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Numbering in LaTeX

Does anybody know how to get all numbering done by LaTeX using oldstyle
numbers?  This should include page numbers and chapter numbers.
Thanks
Cynthia Quinn
U27095@UICVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 88 04:18:25 EDT
From: Chris Torek <chris@mimsy.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #96

I realise the magnitude of this request, as I handle requests for
several mailing lists myself (none digestified or moderated, thank the
Valar), but it would be nice if someone would edit in answers to simple
questions like the one that comes up repeatedly about \if...\fi
expansions after numbers.

This time the question took the form:

	\newcount\v
	\v=0
	\newcommand{\test}{\ifnum\v=0
	$A=0$ \else $A=1$\fi}

	\newcommand{\testa}{\advance\v by 1%
	\test}
	\testa

Of course, the problem is that TeX is trying to see what comes after
the `1', in case the macros expand to something like

	\advance\v by 1\iffoo 2\else 4\fi

which advances by either 12 or 14.

Ah well, no doubt twenty other people will answer this question....

Chris

%%%
%%%     All others: send mail to
%%%           texhax-request@score.stanford.edu
%%%     please send a valid arpanet address!!
%%%
%%%
%%% All submissions to: texhax@score.stanford.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:      directory:  filename:
%%%   [SCORE.STANFORD.EDU]<TEX.TEXHAX>TEXHAXnn.yy
%%%      nn = issue number
%%%      yy = last two digits of current year
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------