[comp.text] nroff/troff -ms vertical space

jwp@larry.UUCP (Jeffrey W Percival) (10/18/88)

For the life of me, I can't get nroff/troff to skip lines at the top of
a page.  I have a feeling this is related to the distance to the
top-of-page trap, but what do I (short of loading in dummy blank lines)
to get .sp to work?
--
Jeff Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu)

jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) (10/20/88)

In article <466@larry.UUCP> jwp@larry.UUCP (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>For the life of me, I can't get nroff/troff to skip lines at the top of
>a page.  I have a feeling this is related to the distance to the
>top-of-page trap, but what do I (short of loading in dummy blank lines)
>to get .sp to work?
>--
>Jeff Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu)

The macros are probably turning on no-space mode (.ns) in the top of
page handling. This prevents a .sp request from having any effect. To
get around this you need to use a .rs (restore spacing) request. You
may also need a .br before the .rs. I have found that

	.br
	.rs
	.sp whatever

always works.
--
Jeff Lo
..!{ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!jlo

ray@vantage.UUCP (Ray Liere) (10/29/88)

We also had this problem with nroff.

Our solution: put a \& just before the .sp command.

(I seem to recall reading somewhere that nroff will ignore .sp commands
at the top of a page for a number of lines exceeding some number -- I
think it was 5 or 10.  Anyway, I now can not of course find the quote.
But the tone, I recall, was as if this had been done on purpose ...)

Hope this helps.

(P.S. to Jeff Percival: we have been having trouble with our note
postings getting out -- if you see this, would you let me know via email?
Thanks.)

Ray Liere
mail: Vantage Consulting and Research Corporation
      1017 Molalla Avenue, Suite 3
      Oregon City, Oregon 97045, USA
voice: (503)657-7294
uucp: hplabs!hpfcla!hpubvwa!vantage!ray

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (11/02/88)

From article <210010@vantage.UUCP>, by ray@vantage.UUCP (Ray Liere):

> Our solution: put a \& just before the .sp command.
> I seem to recall reading somewhere that nroff will ignore .sp commands
> at the top of a page for a number of lines exceeding some number -- I
> think it was 5 or 10.

You're in "no space" mode at the top of a page. To force out real blank lines
you can use:
		.br
		.rs
		.sp <whatever>