[comp.text] DVI previewer for IBM-PC needed

jensen@gt-eedsp.UUCP (P. Allen Jensen) (11/04/88)

I am looking for source to a DVI previewer (for tex) that will run on
an IBM-PS2/80 system with an IBM8514 display.  If there are commercial
products, I would also like to hear about them.

If you know of ANY publically available previewer for the IBM-PC,
please let me know how I can get a copy.

Thanks,

P. Allen Jensen
--
P. Allen Jensen
Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332-0250

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (11/05/88)

In article <555@gt-eedsp.UUCP> jensen@gt-eedsp.UUCP (P. Allen Jensen) writes:
>I am looking for source to a DVI previewer (for tex) that will run on
>an IBM-PS2/80 system with an IBM8514 display.  If there are commercial
>products, I would also like to hear about them.

My dvi previewer for EGA was submitted to comp.sources.unix about 2 months
ago. Since the delay in publication supposedly is 4 to 6 weeks it should
have appeared already, but I understand that there is a backlog...

It is written in C, for SCo Xenix/286. Should not be hard to convert though.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/09/88)

/* Written 12:26 pm  Nov  4, 1988 by debra@alice.UUCP in uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.text */
In article <555@gt-eedsp.UUCP> jensen@gt-eedsp.UUCP (P. Allen Jensen) writes:
>I am looking for source to a DVI previewer (for tex) that will run on
>an IBM-PS2/80 system with an IBM8514 display.  If there are commercial
>products, I would also like to hear about them.

My dvi previewer for EGA was submitted to comp.sources.unix about 2 months
ago. Since the delay in publication supposedly is 4 to 6 weeks it should
have appeared already, but I understand that there is a backlog...

It is written in C, for SCo Xenix/286. Should not be hard to convert though.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |
/* End of text from uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.text */

I have written a Tex previewer for IBM-PC's, aimed mainly at VGA's
and called, logically enough, DVIVGA. It is available by
anonymous ftp from b.scs.uiuc.edu, along with the usual fonts in
the necessary sizes. b.scs.uiuc.edu is also 128.174.90.2 .
As for the Model 80, I have a special version that uses 32 bit
instructions and is faster. AS for the 8514, well, we have one,
but have done no programming for it - IBM won't supply the specs
of the device, only a kludgy software interface that we haven't
tried. If you know how to program it, all the screen interface
is in one small section of code. It should look really great at 768x1024.
Doug McDonald

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/10/88)

I have my DVI previewer working in native 768x1024 mode on the
IBM 8514A. It will be posted to b.scs.uiuc.edu soon as I am
(reasonably) sure it is bug - free. It normally runs in the
lowest resolution that Metafont produces normal fonts with
stems two pixels wide in - and looks much better for that. It will
be called dvi8514a.
Doug McDonald (mcdonald@uiucuxe)