[comp.text] looking for Oxford English Dictionary..

ugptucha@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Ray Ptucha) (11/02/88)

I'm not sure if this is the correct newsgroup for this, but...
Does anyone have a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary that
I could ftp?   I really have wanted one online for quite a
while now- so any help would be much grateful.

Thanks.

			---Ray
Ray Ptucha, SUNY/Buffalo Computing Center, UCS Student Consultant:
csnet:	ugptucha@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugptucha
BITNET:	ugptucha@sunybcs.BITNET   <-OR->   ACSCRAY@ubvmsc.BITNET

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (11/05/88)

In article <2348@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, ugptucha@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Ray Ptucha) writes:

> I'm not sure if this is the correct newsgroup for this, but...
> Does anyone have a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary that
> I could ftp?

Good Grief!  Do you have any idea how *L*A*R*G*E* the OED is?!?  You're
talking 20 _very_ large books!!!

Optical disks, anyone?  :-)  :-)

--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:  fallst!tkevans@wb3ffv.ampr.org

In article <2348@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugptucha@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Ray Ptucha) writes:
>Does anyone have a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary that
>I could ftp?   I really have wanted one online for quite a
>while now...

Uh, you realize that it's 400+ megabytes?

I very much doubt that anyone can make it available for FTP without
violating the copyright, and the copyright owners would probably take
this seriously, given that they plan a new edition and are still selling
the old one.
--
The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/09/88)

--
Additionally, the OED is, I'm sure, not public domain (or even shareware for
that matter).

Disclaimer: It's mine, all mine.  --  Daffy Duck
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
CHARLES REZAC   *   bitnet: REZAC@UKANVAX   internet: rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
913/864-0472    *   KWOOC=word processor formats,CAT scans,FOCUS,PROFS,TSRs
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) (11/09/88)

OED *is* available on CD-ROM, but I don't remember the particulars.

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (11/10/88)

In article <1236@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>--
>Additionally, the OED is, I'm sure, not public domain (or even shareware for
>that matter).

I remember recently reading a review of a commercial product that is
the OED - but only the OED, not the supplements.  The OED itself is
quite old, having been published before 1950.  Given the state of
copyright law at that time, I think it has fallen into the public
domain.

The New OED is in preparation at Waterloo.  Anyone there have any facts?

Henry Troup		utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not
Bell-Northern Reseach   hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for
Ottawa, Canada		(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions

jyegiguere@lotus.waterloo.edu (Eric Giguere) (11/11/88)

In article <173@bnr-fos.UUCP> hwt@bnr-public.UUCP (Henry Troup) writes:
>In article <1236@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>--
>>Additionally, the OED is, I'm sure, not public domain (or even shareware for
>>that matter).
>>

>I remember recently reading a review of a commercial product that is
>the OED - but only the OED, not the supplements.  The OED itself is
>quite old, having been published before 1950.  Given the state of
>copyright law at that time, I think it has fallen into the public
>domain.
>
>The New OED is in preparation at Waterloo.  Anyone there have any facts?

There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the OED and the New OED.
Let me try to clear a few things up.  First, a disclaimer:  I am not
associated with either Oxford University Press (OUP) or the UW Centre
for the New OED (UWCNOED).  I did however attend the recent "Information
in Text" conference jointly sponsored by OUP and UWCNOED.  The information
I present here is derived from that conference.

First some background:  OUP approached several institutions with regard to
modernizing the OED.  They hired a company to type in the complete OED
(the original 12 volumes plus the four-volume Supplement).  The University
of Waterloo won the contract to create the software and organize the data.
Work has been in progress since 1984 and is almost complete.

An important thing to realize is that OUP owns the copyright to the complete
text of both the old and new versions of the OED.  UW owns rights to the
software it developed, but not the text.  Currently only researchers at UW
and a few selected universities are allowed access to the text of the OED
in computerized form, and only for limited research purposes.  So, no, it is
not possible to "ftp" the OED, and never will be.

The computerization of the OED has led to the preparation of the "New" or
"Second" edition.  The original OED has been merged with the Supplement and
about 5000 or so new entries added.  A lot of revision has been done.  The
Second Edition will be printed in twenty (20!) volumes in the style of the
Supplement.  It should be available at the end of March, 1989, for something
like US$2000 or 1500 pounds sterling.

There are also plans to bring out a CD-ROM version of the Second Edition in
1990 or 1991.  A CD-ROM version of the first edition seems to have been
available at one time, but I don't know its status right now.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Eric Giguere                    268 Phillip St. #CL-46, Waterloo, Ont. N2L 6G9
jyegiguere@lotus.waterloo.edu   (519) 746-0792
GIGUERE@WATCSG.BITNET           "No, that's not how you pronounce it..."

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (11/14/88)

In article <2348@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, ugptucha@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Ray Ptucha) writes:

> I'm not sure if this is the correct newsgroup for this, but...
> Does anyone have a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary that
> I could ftp?
And there have been various responses; thought I should fill people in.
There are 3 things you might be referring to when you say 'OED':

1. The original 12 volume OED, finished in 1928.
2. The 4-volume Supplement, finished in 1986.
3. The 20-volume Second Edition, to be published March 1989, incorporating
   #1, #2, and lots of new material.

Here are #1 and #2:
-r--r-----  1 ghgonnet 400989181 May 21 08:39 OED
-r--r-----  1 tbray    128709256 May 27 08:45 S

Quite large as you can see.  They are regarded by Oxford University
Press as highly proprietary, and OUP is going to want money in exchange
for their use.  There is one exception to this; if you are a bona fide
scholar or researcher whose work might make valuable use of the OED, you
can come use this info here at Waterloo; we have tools to help make
sense of it, and even a certain amount of money available to support
such visitors.

You can buy #1 in the list above right now, on a CD-ROM, from OUP, at a
price a little over $1K last time I checked.  The software that comes
with it is nice, user-friendly, but not really suitable for the kind of
serious research that the OED can support.  Contact the nearest OUP
office for info (they're in NY, LA, and Toronto that I know of, and
probably elsewhere).

The OED is a wonderful book, and indeed, everyone should have a cheap
electronic version handy.  That's one of the things we're working on.
Tim Bray    Manager, New Oxford English Dictionary Project
            University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont.

morrell@hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael Morrell) (11/16/88)

/ hpsal2:comp.text / jyegiguere@lotus.waterloo.edu (Eric Giguere) /  7:54 am  Nov 11, 1988 /
The Second Edition will be printed in twenty (20!) volumes in the style of the
Supplement.  It should be available at the end of March, 1989, for something
like US$2000 or 1500 pounds sterling.

Does anyone know of any plans to print a "reduced" version of the Second
Edition (similar to the currently available two-volume version of the First
Edition plus Supplements)?