[comp.text] Simple TeX/LaTeX Previewer

cclin@brillig.umd.edu (Chih-Chen Lin) (11/16/88)

In the *roff world, nroff can be used to preview the document on dumb
terminals.  Is there something similar that can be used to preview TeX/LaTeX
documents?  Thanks.

Chih-Chen Lin
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
ARPA:cclin@brillig.umd.edu  UUCP:{decvax,allegra,...}!mimsy!brillig!cclin

langdon@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Bruce Langdon) (11/17/88)

In article <14569@mimsy.UUCP>, cclin@brillig.umd.edu (Chih-Chen Lin) writes:
> In the *roff world, nroff can be used to preview the document on dumb
> terminals.  Is there something similar that can be used to preview TeX/LaTeX
> documents?

We are now using dvidoc, which I ftp'd from rochester, but now the
latex-style archive has shifted to clarkson. For us it's not for preview
but to alternatively format something to a straight ASCII file, or at
least a selected subset. We don't have time to maintain two documents,
one for online and one for laser printer.

It works for TeX even easier. When running tex, I tell it some other things,
like that standard vertical skips are multiples of the line spacing.

I'd like to hear other's experience. With minor macro changes it works
perfectly with TeX. LaTeX needs macro changes too; I haven't done them
but we need them.
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
	Physics Department                  339650%d@nmfecc.arpa
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{ucdavis,pyramid,harvard,topaz}!lll-lcc!langdon