[comp.text] Request Help to get TeX for SUN 4.0

keves@net1.ucsd.edu (Brian Keves) (11/16/88)

I am having trouble compiling TeX under SUN 4.0. I believe I have the latest
version of tex82, although it is hard to tell. I am running SUN 4.0 with the
SUN 1.1 Pascal compiler (Unbundled).

What seems to happen is that the pascal compiler does not compile the
same code that the SUN 3.4 Pascal compiled perfectly.

Does anyone have sources specifically for SUN 4.0? Can anyone tell me that
I need to do? Do I need to patch Pascal?

			   Thanks In Advance
                           -----------------
Brian Keves		ARPA:	keves@ucsd.edu or keves@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
P.O. Box 12238		UUCP:	ucsd!keves or sdcsvax!keves
La Jolla, CA 	 	BITNET:	keves@ucsd
92037-0620		PHONE:	619-534-3839 Please leave a message

ORGANIZATION: Lab for Mathematics and Statistics @ UCSD

Any opinions expressed are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of my employer or UC Regents.
                           -----------------

langdon@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Bruce Langdon) (11/17/88)

In article <1254@ucsd.EDU>, keves@net1.ucsd.edu (Brian Keves) writes:
> I am having trouble compiling TeX under SUN 4.0. I believe I have the latest
> version of tex82, although it is hard to tell. I am running SUN 4.0 with the
> SUN 1.1 Pascal compiler (Unbundled).

I'd hate someone to say this to me, but, if you can find the $$, ArborText
will send you a tape that with a postscript spooler and screen previewer
and misc other stuff. It took me about an hour to install. It would have
taken five minutes if I hadn't been overcautious.
We have Sun-2's, no 3's, now converting to 4's. LaTeX always seemed to me
to be a dog (in speed, not otherwise). It zips on the 4.
With Preview one can page around a 250 page document as fast as I can
with hardcopy.
(So then I spent hours and hours gathering, recompiling, etc our various
other goodies collected from rochester, score, ......that we need too.)
I hate not having source, but, if your employer values your time, pays
benefits etc., ArborText may be less expensive, as well as very good.
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
	Physics Department                  339650%d@nmfecc.arpa
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{,qantel,ucdavis,pyramid,harvard,topaz}!lll-lcc!langdon

grunwald@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/18/88)

re: TeX on SunOS 4.0

Assuming you have access to the internet, grab the UNIX TeX distribution
from score.stanford.edu and june.cs.washington.edu (or send $150 to
McKay at U. Washington).

This version contains Web-2-C. It converts TeX to C, which I've compiled
on our SunOS 4.0 system, using both Sun `cc' and Gnu `gcc' (`gcc' is still
better than SunOS `cc').

For postscript output, grab ``dvips.shar'' from labrea.stanford.edu, the
latest release from rokicki. Handles psfig, TeXpic and built-in fonts.
Installs with no hassles.

For slightly more hassles, grab ``pub/TeX/iptex.tar.Z'' from a.cs.uiuc.edu.
This contains texsun, a Sun previewer that works on SunOS 4.0, SPARC & 68000
machines (although not the 386 yet). The latest version (when I update the
tar file) contains outline psfig boxes, allows you to mark pages & print
them and a few other widgets.

And with all of that, you get source.